delta will hunt the unvacinated

3NUMBAS

20 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I have found no definition of "infection" that says it is merely the entrance of a bacteria or virus into the body. There has to be reproduction of bacteria or virus to occur before it is said to be infection.

Correct , exposure and infection are two different things. If you inhale the virus you have been exposed. And that exposure may or may not result in infection as defined above. Also related to my previous post: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7773342/

20 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Cross reactive T cell response to covid produced from exposure/infection from the other circulating coronaviruses is a fact. So the takeaway here is that those who have immunity from the other Coronaviruses are more protected. I'm not trying to sell any thing here, but consider your history of seasonable flu: if you have not had any flu symptoms for many years perhaps that is an indicator as to whether you need to get vaccinated. In other words having a strong immune response to the common flu can be related to covid response. .https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1386653221001141

I think you are right until you bring influenza into the mix.  That is a different virus.  I don't see immunity to flu as being closely related to Covid.  It appears that immunity to one type of Coronavirus can confer some immunity to other coronaviruses and that could include Covid.   We have cells that contain fragments of information so that when they encounter an old virus, they mount a quick and targeted response.  That is why many vaccines last many, many years.   For some reason, our immune system doesn't seem to remember Coronaviruses very well.  A lot of people get a bad cold (remember that rhinoviruses are the most common cause of  colds).  The next year they may get it again because the immune system does not remember it and doesn't produce the correct antibodies.  

It was known in medieval times that people who caught cow pox either didn't catch small pox or if they did it was a mild case.  

3 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Ok I was using flu and the other Coronaviruses incorrectly interchangeable. Again of interest.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7773342/

Actually...

Flu shots may protect against severe complications from COVID-19

Researchers from the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine say the largest study of its kind to date has discovered that the basic flu shot lowers the risk of stroke, sepsis, and blood clots in patients with COVID-19. Moreover, COVID patients who have been vaccinated against the flu are also less likely to need hospitalization or enter the intensive care unit.

https://www.news10.com/news/flu-shots-may-protect-against-severe-complications-from-covid-19/

17 minutes ago, placeholder said:

But it doesn't seem to be necessarily the case that when you come into contact with a virus it begins to replicate. It seems that vaccines can stop that from happening.

Yes, they can and do.  Not all vaccines work that way or that well.  The virus has to get into the cell, or in the case of the Covid virus, latch on to the receptor and inject it's RNA.   Vaccines can help prevent the virus from ever latching on or they can react to the RNA once it's inside the cell.  

16 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually...

Flu shots may protect against severe complications from COVID-19

Researchers from the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine say the largest study of its kind to date has discovered that the basic flu shot lowers the risk of stroke, sepsis, and blood clots in patients with COVID-19. Moreover, COVID patients who have been vaccinated against the flu are also less likely to need hospitalization or enter the intensive care unit.

https://www.news10.com/news/flu-shots-may-protect-against-severe-complications-from-covid-19/

There is some more current information on this and it does seem to provide some help with Covid.   They don't know why, but the speculation is that it helps to prime the immune system and in doing so, it is more likely to make an earlier recognition of the Covid virus.  

I think the anti-vaxxer crowd won't be getting this one either, although it might be helpful in countries that can't get the Covid vaccine easily.

4 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I find it amusing when folks talk about the good of the nation when they take the juice. Do it for other people's sake, for God's Sake. Please, stop the theatrics, we take the vaccine in the hope's of not being a statistic in a hospital.

Sadly if we get infected and end up in hospitals, we are likely to take a bed from someone else if the health care system is overburdened, plus we put the health care personell in higher risk of getting the virus.

Here in Denmark we didn't even use up all beds during the pandemic and used only approx 25% of our ventilators, but it was bad enough to postpone a whole lot of planned surgeries for other people, where many still await their surgeries.

That's a good enough reason to take the vaccine for me , but off course i also took my shots due to all the other obvious reasons.

7 minutes ago, Scott said:

There is some more current information on this and it does seem to provide some help with Covid.   They don't know why, but the speculation is that it helps to prime the immune system and in doing so, it is more likely to make an earlier recognition of the Covid virus.  

I think the anti-vaxxer crowd won't be getting this one either, although it might be helpful in countries that can't get the Covid vaccine easily.

Also a statistical correlation between tetanus/diptheria vaccinations and covid resistance. This is even stranger because these vaccines (they're usuallly administered as a combo) are meant to counter bacteria - not viruses.

Old vaccines for COVID-19: Tetanus, diphtheria show promise

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/old-vaccines-for-covid-19-tetanus-diphtheria-show-promise

Edit: forgot to include pertussis in that combination vaccine.

Edited by placeholder

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Also a statistical correlation between tetanus/diptheria vaccinations and covid resistance. This is even stranger because these vaccines (they're usuallly administered as a combo) are meant to counter bacteria - not viruses.

Old vaccines for COVID-19: Tetanus, diphtheria show promise

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/old-vaccines-for-covid-19-tetanus-diphtheria-show-promise

Edit: forgot to include pertussis in that combination vaccine.

Epidemiologists say that this vaccine, which is almost universally adminstered to infants in developed nations at least, may be the reason, or one of the reasons, that children so strongly resist the covid virus.