delta will hunt the unvacinated

3NUMBAS

Troll post and replies removed, please see the description of the covid forum:

Thailand COVID-19 Updates (Sponsored by Aetna Insurance)

A forum dedicated to information and discussion related to the current pandemic in Thailand and around the world.

16 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

Stop trying to be so divisive.   A person's choice to vaccinate or not is theirs.  If you think vaccines are so great and reliable then you should have nothing to worry about if you get vaccinated.  Anybody can carry and transmit the virus, the millions of unvaccinated children running around, the hundreds of thousands that pack football and baseball stadiums jammed elbow to elbow, the vaccinated that do NOT wear masks, etc.  They are taking much less precaustions than they could to protect others.  Pointing at unvacced people is a false argument

I’d hazard a guess that the people (adults) acting contrary to the public health advice are predominantly also the people refusing vaccination.

It would not be a surprise to see them failing to ensure their children follow public health advice, perhaps screaming and shouting in school board meetings against mask mandates for students.

So in a sense you are right, it’s not simply the (by choice) unvaccinated, rather the whole basket of pro-Virus attitudes and behaviors.

• Like 2

I find it amusing when folks talk about the good of the nation when they take the juice. Do it for other people's sake, for God's Sake. Please, stop the theatrics, we take the vaccine in the hope's of not being a statistic in a hospital.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I find it amusing when folks talk about the good of the nation when they take the juice. Do it for other people's sake, for God's Sake. Please, stop the theatrics, we take the vaccine in the hope's of not being a statistic in a hospital.

You know that old joke about people who can't walk and chew gum at the same time? I got news for you. Some people can.

Or to put it another way: speak for yourself.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scott said:

I think different people will have different reasons.  Mine was reasonably selfish.  I didn't want to get sick.   I know people who plan to get it only because they have to in order to work.  I know people in my home area who are taking to attend University.  I now know one young person who was adamant he wasn't going to take it, until the local live-music venue said no vaccine, no entry!  

Some people are really social and can't take the isolation and distance from family.  Others have less problem with it.  When things were locked down, I had very few problems with it.  I knew other people who suffered terribly from the isolation.  

I'm getting my first today for self preservation and travel requirements. All the reasons you gave are the true reasons to get vaccinated. And for the sake of those in my immediate household. I know folks in the US and here in Thailand who are not taking the vaccine and I won't avoid them. They make their own choice for their own reasons.

The only reason for taking the vaccine that irks me is when we're told to take one for the team?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I find it quite ironic that this thread starts with a link to the Daily Fail/Mail.

For those who are not British, this rag is a tabloid among the lowest of the low. Not worth the paper it's printed on.

As for the whole vaccine argument, still nobody has made it clear to me how this works...

'You have the vaccine to protect others from getting Covid, as well as protecting yourself getting serious symptoms'

and

'Even if you have had all the jabs, you can still get Covid and pass it on to others.'

So, if vaccinated people can still become infected and infectious, how is it protecting those around them?

To me, it all stinks of a plan by the drug companies to cash in on an annual basis worldwide! I'm not saying Covid isn't real, because it is. I'm not an anti-vaxxer and I have had an AZ jab. I'm not saying the illuminati is trying to reduce the world's population, because that's nonsense. But what I do think is that the huge drug companies are loving this, and they wield a HUGE amount of power over politicians, especially in the USA. 10 years from now, we will all be having annual shots that governments may not subsidise... and even if they do pay for them, the drug companies get paid anyway.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The truth or otherwise of your ten year prediction will only be revealed to those who live that long, the vaccines raise your chances of doing so.

To clarify the points you raise.

Nothing in this world is perfect, including vaccines.

However, the vaccines significantly reduce the chances of serious illness, hospitalization and death from COVID.

The vaccines also significantly reduce the  opportunity for the virus to spread.

So yes, you can still catch COVID after vaccination but you are much less likely to become seriously ill, hospitalized or die  than you would be without the vaccines.

Yes you can still transmit the disease but you are less likely to spread it to others.

I find it sad that someone has to actually write an explanation like this for the benefit of another adult !

If they don’t understand the purpose of vaccinations by now they never will…

• Like 1

Cross reactive T cell response to covid produced from exposure/infection from the other circulating coronaviruses is a fact. So the takeaway here is that those who have immunity from the other Coronaviruses are more protected. I'm not trying to sell any thing here, but consider your history of seasonable flu: if you have not had any flu symptoms for many years perhaps that is an indicator as to whether you need to get vaccinated. In other words having a strong immune response to the common flu can be related to covid response. .https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1386653221001141

Edited by morrobay

40 minutes ago, Scott said:

This has a lot to do with how the viruses in general work.  When you come in contact with the virus, it begins to replicate.  Your body will identify it as something foreign and will attack it, but without some help --like a vaccine-- your body can't easily identify the specific protein on the spike.  Our immune system's cells start mutating and those mutations might get lucky and find the right combination and we either don't sick or have a mild case.  

Vaccines do not stop any virus.  They tell the immune system what it should be fighting.  Our immune system then makes the right combination to prevent the virus from either entering a cell or from replicating.  

But whether it is a cold, the influenza or any other respiratory based viral infection, once in our body it will begin to replicate.   We might be able to fight it off and we may not get sick.  Usually, viruses don't start massively shedding viral material until we are already sick.   In the case of Covid-19, that is not exactly the case, the viral shedding making us contagious can occur well before we feel sick.  With the original Covid and the early variants, the shedding was minimal in fully vaccinated people and thus the risk of infection to others was low.  Delta has changed all that.  I don't think virologists know exactly why, but it manages to start shedding faster and better in both unvaccinated and vaccinated people.  The difference is, vaccinated people will usually still mount a good defense to the variant and you have a good chance of not ending up in the hospital or morgue.  

Everybody is a little different in their immune response and Coronaviruses are tricky.  A couple of coronaviruses are responsible for the common cold.  Attempts to find a vaccine have been largely unsuccessful.  They can get a vaccine that works, but the immune system doesn't remember for long enough to be effective.  Several months later, we can get reinfected.   We still have a lot to learn about Covid.  

Are you sure about this? 

Here are 2 definitions of infection. 

'The invasion and growth of germs in the body. The germs may be bacteria, viruses, yeast, fungi, or other microorganisms. Infections can begin anywhere in thebody and may spread all through it. An infection can cause fever and other health problems, depending on where it occurs in the body...

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/infection

"The invasion and multiplication of microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, and parasites that are not normally present within the body. "

https://www.medicinenet.com/infection/definition.htm

I have found no definition of "infection" that says it is merely the entrance of a bacteria or virus into the body. There has to be reproduction of bacteria or virus to occur before it is said to be an infection.  Yet the CDC is explicit in saying that vaccines can prevent infection.

"COVID-19 vaccines are effective at preventing infection, serious illness, and death. Most people who get COVID-19 are unvaccinated. However, since vaccines are not 100% effective at preventing infection, some people who are fully vaccinated will still get COVID-19."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/effectiveness/why-measure-effectiveness/breakthrough-cases.html#:~:text=COVID-19 vaccines are,get COVID-19.

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Are you sure about this? 

Here are 2 definitions of infection. 

'The invasion and growth of germs in the body. The germs may be bacteria, viruses, yeast, fungi, or other microorganisms. Infections can begin anywhere in thebody and may spread all through it. An infection can cause fever and other health problems, depending on where it occurs in the body...

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/infection

"The invasion and multiplication of microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, and parasites that are not normally present within the body. "

https://www.medicinenet.com/infection/definition.htm

I have found no definition of "infection" that says it is merely the entrance of a bacteria or virus into the body. There has to be reproduction of bacteria or virus to occur before it is said to be an infection.  Yet the CDC is explicit in saying that vaccines can prevent infection.

"COVID-19 vaccines are effective at preventing infection, serious illness, and death. Most people who get COVID-19 are unvaccinated. However, since vaccines are not 100% effective at preventing infection, some people who are fully vaccinated will still get COVID-19."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/effectiveness/why-measure-effectiveness/breakthrough-cases.html#:~:text=COVID-19 vaccines are,get COVID-19.

I am talking only about viruses and primarily the Coronaviruses.  I am not trying to redefine 'infection'.  Of course, a person is not infected or infectious until a virus starts to replicate. 

I am trying to explain as simply as possible another poster. 

9 minutes ago, Scott said:

I am talking only about viruses and primarily the Coronaviruses.  I am not trying to redefine 'infection'.  Of course, a person is not infected or infectious until a virus starts to replicate. 

I am trying to explain as simply as possible another poster. 

But it doesn't seem to be necessarily the case that when you come into contact with a virus it begins to replicate. It seems that vaccines can stop that from happening.