Thai Government Prepares to Recruit Thais to Address Labor Shortage

webfact

If they didn't want to do the work before, most of them probably won't want to do it now. 

I wonder if this is all for show? If the DoE can't fill the quota, that could be used as a compelling argument to reopen borders and allow migrant workers back in pronto.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai government aims to promote employment for Thais in industries facing labor shortages and is preparing to recruit Thais to fill more than 400,000 jobs left vacant by migrant workers due to the COVID-19 restrictions.

How novel... get the un-employed into work instead of recruiting migrant labour.

Trouble is the work involved may not be what they want to do, or for the wages.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

How novel... get the un-employed into work instead of recruiting migrant labour.

Trouble is the work involved may not be what they want to do, or for the wages.

The only thing that should matter is the money, period.

I live in a predominantly migrant farming community where non-Thai used to number about 70%.

Many have long gone home due to covid so yes, the landowners are struggling for labour.

My wifes brother has a one-man music/PA hire business and pre-covid was kept busy at gatherings of all kinds. Now that has all but dried up. No house blessings, very few weddings and not so many funerals as he had expected.

However there is ALWAYS work to be had here, and during slack times he joins the crew in the pickups and heads off to work on a farm somewhere. Recently he had a full month's work at 400 Baht per day planting new rubber trees, so made about 12k Baht, probably more than an average month at his music events.

The only problem now he has also joined in the 5 PM Hong Thong/Lao Khao brigade on a nightly basis but at least he is not lazy.

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

This guys in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks low educated Thais are going to work for 300 baht a day and do the same work as a migrant. Pride would prevent it.

Not just pride, but common sense: how can anyone possibly live on 300 baht a day? Start paying liveable wages and see what happens.

• Like 2

I had a beautiful live-in Thai gf for a few years, who when I suggested she get a job to occupy her mind and time instead of just sitting on the bed looking at her phone (that I bought), said "for 300 or 400 baht a day? that's all I'll get." The scorn in her voice could be cut with a knife. So as a certain culture shock book put it, her job was me. But she was hot.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Enzian said:

I had a beautiful live-in Thai gf for a few years, who when I suggested she get a job to occupy her mind and time instead of just sitting on the bed looking at her phone (that I bought), said "for 300 or 400 baht a day? that's all I'll get." The scorn in her voice could be cut with a knife. So as a certain culture shock book put it, her job was me. But she was hot.

How much was you paying her ?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

And how do you live on zero baht per day? Take what's available till you find something better.

There is nothing better, 300 baht a day is as good as it gets for most unskilled workers, so they are forced to work for a wage that they can not live on. Do you think that’s fair?

Maybe the Thai Companies have kicked back about the original plan to allow 470,000 Migrant workers into the Country.

The plan would have meant a 14 Day mandatory Quarantine for all of them, numerous PCR tests, and ongoing testing on a weekly basis. All at the Employers expense.

I think there was also some mention of a compulsory Covid Health Insurance that the Employers had to also pay, as well as setting up their own Quarantine facilities within the Factory compound.

In total, the cost for each Migrant workers would have been about 18,000 Baht per head, with ongoing testing costs.

Something that the cheapskate Employers would surely have baulked at.

However, to find enough Thai Staff with the required ability for the Work will be a no start

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

And how do you live on zero baht per day? Take what's available till you find something better.

That's an easy one.

Borrow a gun from your mate, they love playing at gangsters and always have money to buy or rent these items, and hit the 7-11, gas stations and gold shops.

Then when you kill somebody or get caught, put your head down in shame, put ten fingers together, blame it on no jobs and desperation to feed your family!

14 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Yeah, doesn’t matter what kind of <deleted> work they have to do, as long as they get paid 300 baht a day they can’t complain, right?

Until they find a better job, then no. They made a definite choice when many failed to complete even M6. I worked manual labor jobs for many years, the one thing I always did was look for something higher paid, always. When I was out of work and looking, well that was a full time job for me. I went factory to factory to factory daily trying to find something. Here unless a job comes knocking I don't think they're looking too hard.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Yeah, doesn’t matter what kind of <deleted> work they have to do, as long as they get paid 300 baht a day they can’t complain, right?

I think we can all agree that 300 Baht per Day is a poor wage.

However, when it is compared to other wages for other more skilled work, then it is fair.

People that for one reason or another have ended up at the bottom of the pile should not be rewarded excessively over those that have worked to attain skills and knowledge, throughout their working lives.

That really is not the way that any Society functions.

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

This is timely for the government to review the minimum wage and make changes to a competitive wage structure determined by market demand and supply for labour. It will help attract Thais and will also give a boost to the domestic economy. 

And add a huge amount to your Shopping Basket costs at the Check out.