Cost of imported wine and spirits set to be slashed in Thailand

webfact

I know more than a few people that enjoy a decent cigar, that was fine when working away for a month and bringing a box back for their month at home, many due to covid haven't worked since the start, they tried buying here but that was price prohibitive so gave up.

I often enjoy half a bottle of red wine in the evening which the Mrs & I share, a bottle of cheap Chilean red costs 380 Bht, that's £8.31, probably buy similar in the UK for £3.00. Ridiculous price.

• Like 2

Right, because the rich are going “hey, they’re slashing the import duty on sprits and wine in Thailand! Yay! Let’s immediately spend thousands on a first class ticket so we can save a few hundred Baht on the import duty on spirits!”

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have not been able to find any specific mention of a reduction in the rates of tariffs on imported wines anywhere. They mention imported alcohol, which has a for lower rate than wine. Anyone know anything about wine specifically, in regard to this proposal?

If wine was included, it would be monumental, as it would be the kind of sacrifice that is needed to attract the wealthier tourists and ex-pats they keep ranting about. Next, lower luxury taxes. Then, Thailand begins to join the real world, and wealthy people feel like they are not being taken for a ride, and then they start returning, instead of vowing to never come back. In reality wine taxes should be reduced from the ridiculous 300% plus, to around 75%. Income from the industry would likely increase 1000%. 

Hey, don't start introducing logic or real numbers!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

And seize back control of all the Aussie companies bought up by China.

Unfair IMHO, the Aussies sold them. Should have blocked it then. If you do want to take back control fair market price must be paid.

I get the anti China feelings, i don't like them either but fair business practices should remain.                     

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, xylophone said:

That's an interesting point........ but do local winemakers actually pay "massive tax"?

Apparently yes. That's why local Thai wine is so lousy. The local winemakers cannot reduce the price to sell volume and make enough profit to develop the local wine industry. They have been lobbying the govt to make them a special case for years but the govt is unsympathetic. It's a great shame coz Thailand could otherwise become a good wine producer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

That's an interesting point........ but do local winemakers actually pay "massive tax"?

They do in fact.  Here is a rather dated item but it gives a fairly good indication of the situation. Apart from suggested prices ....lol.

https://www.econ.chula.ac.th/public/publication/journal/2015/Jordan French.PDF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

I think his comment was directed at the Thai dissenter in the story, thats how i read it anyway.

the way I read it is that he is commenting on an observation by a researcher pointing out that increasing prices for tobacco would discourage its use, and hence make nicotine addiction less frequent.
As for Alcohol, increasing prices will drive abusers to cheaper liquids, albeit that it may discourage youngsters starting abuse of alcohol.