Cost of imported wine and spirits set to be slashed in Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, Enzian said:

haha.  They are talking about groups wanting to stop OTHER PEOPLE from smoking and drinking, the nanny state knowing what is better for you but stopping short of making it illegal.

It’s a well-established fact that smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol isn’t better for you than not doing it. 

4 hours ago, Enzian said:

haha.  They are talking about groups wanting to stop OTHER PEOPLE from smoking and drinking, the nanny state knowing what is better for you but stopping short of making it illegal.

That might be an interesting survey:

Do you smoke

Did you quit after you arrived 

Do you not smoke before you came here.

2 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

crappy wines in Thailand selling for 20 EUR a bottle at TESCO, while good wine in Europe selling for 5 to 7 EUR a bottle

for that alone, staying in Europe makes more sense ????

Perhaps a short visit but any longer and I'd feel I had outstayed my welcome! 55555

• Like 1

I had friends who arrived in their yacht to Phuket. There were 7 crew. They asked where the best restaurants were and I gave them a few addresses. They went, and took their own wine with them and paid the corkage. Much safer they said, nothing to do with money. Not every restaurant has a wine cellar, and I’ve heard that they are often stored before delivery in the heat , and transport conditions are crucial wine. 

• Like 2

So the bootlegging from Malaysia, Cambodia and Laos is being felt finally? The tax coffers of Thailand lost zillions of Baht based on its shortsightedness on the subject. 
Smuggled booze in any form and packaging was offered to us before we sold our restaurant four years ago. Tempted many times but never went for it to avoid a showdown of smugglers in police uniform! 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Roengrudee Patanavanich of Ramathibodi Hospital who is a researcher on tobacco control said that the proposals are bad news for groups wanting to stop smoking and the consumption of alcoholic beverages.

I geuss he has a friend that makes the Thai sigarettes and one that works in taxes . Why doesn't he tell them to legalize e-sigarettes and e-fluids instead never heard him about that . 

• Like 1