Government Spokesman clarifies measures to attract foreigners of high potential

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Section 96 of the Land Code states that foreigners who invest a minimum of 40 million baht are permitted to buy up to 1,600 square meters of land for residential use, with the government’s permission. The owner is however, required to sell the land, if it is not put to residential use within two years

So what is classed as residential use ? would that include 1 ria with a bamboo hut on it ?  and 40m for 1 ria ? Yeh ok then bargain.

What are they thinking? Foreigners will grab the land and take it back home?

I think market force and other factors will always determine the value if any property. Of course if the demand is high the price will increase but where the money will go at the end?????????????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gold Star said:

I think it should be a reciprocal agreement. 

If your country of citizenship allows Thais to purchase land there, then you should be allowed to own land here.

That would take care of the Chinese takeover and expansionist problem, and open it up for the rest of us simply wanting to own a house. 

Great idea! Which means under the current despotism that this marvellous, sane, and civilised idea won't float at all lol ???? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Imagine if every country in the world suddenly announced Thais would be banned from owning any land abroad - or only 49% of it. They'd be totally outraged at the anti-Thai xenophobia

That will be good news for all expats. They will get the taste of their own medicine.

• Thanks 1

I have rich friends in USA. They are looking at other countries for 1 reason.....no way will they come to Thailand unless they can buy a house in their name. It seems like the Chinese have a trick and are able to do it. so....let foreigners buy houses and you will get a flood of people. otherwise...expect very few. this is the modern world where rich people understand 2 times 2 = 10 in the base 4. the rich are smart people. they do not drink cool-aid and bananas are for eating. 

4 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Does anyone know the whereabouts of 1 million foreign technical experts who are fluent in Thai?

The language barrier alone will make this idea a bit of a challenge but then I think policy makers may already be aware of this.

Don't you mean fluent in Chinese ????

7 hours ago, it is what it is said:

If the government’s economic stimulus measures can draw a million foreign experts and those of high economic potential to the country in five years, economic benefit of 1 trillion baht will be created, with 800 billion baht from domestic spending and 270 billion baht from tax revenue collection. The funds result from personal income tax collection, value-added tax (VAT) and investment tax.

the government certainly enjoys coming up with sums to support their over optimistic financial forecasts

Someone must be seen to be doing their jobs, requirement for govt minister--- at least one press release per week until further notice.

• Like 1

Why the need for “foreigners of high potential[sic?]”

I thought the Thai way was always the best way and the only way?

If that’s truly the case, then why doesn’t the Thai government  endeavor to develop homegrown  “citizens of high potential?”

But I suppose that would require too much distasteful change, e.g., modernization of the educational system, social and economic reforms, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ebean001 said:

I have rich friends in USA. They are looking at other countries for 1 reason.....no way will they come to Thailand unless they can buy a house in their name. It seems like the Chinese have a trick and are able to do it. so....let foreigners buy houses and you will get a flood of people. otherwise...expect very few. this is the modern world where rich people understand 2 times 2 = 10 in the base 4. the rich are smart people. they do not drink cool-aid and bananas are for eating. 

I still can’t imagine how the Thai government can expect any foreign national to feel secure about buying or owning anything in this country when paths to permanent residence and/or citizenship are so limited.

1 hour ago, JomtienRay said:

In the 30+ years I've lived here and ran my own educational business for many years, prior to retirement, nothing much changes..

a lot of rhetoric and ideas get floated around.. but as His Highness the King said in an interview on TV recently, "Thailand is the country of compromise"..

I've enjoyed my life here immensely, and have a large Thai/farang family, and many Thai and expat friends.

I intend to continue to enjoy the Thai ride in my remaining retirement years right here in the wonderful land of smiles.. ????????????????????

And despite all that time, effort, expense and devotion you are still in effect a tourist held with little, if any, regard among Thai society as a whole and the system. 

I can see a huge lineup of wealthy people desperate to get into Thailand and spend their money on property ,  nice food, nice wine…oops not allowed to have a glass of ???? with dinner, They will be falling over each other to enter one of the most unpredictable countries in the world, where rules change almost hourly????????????

2B6DFBCC-C23B-4D42-BFB1-E4398660E1C3.jpeg

Its all a misunderstanding! Brake failure blamed! A committee will be set up to investigate the committee they set up, hub of sandboxes to open in september, october, november whenever, vinyl presser with jump-wing numpties standing behind a mountain of drugs that most users quietly enjoy without bothering a soul or ruining their lives.

What a shower...