Business Setup For Tg

Hi there,

New here but looking for some advice. I'm setting my GF up with a small business (Nothing expensive)

Where would she need to go to register her company and how much is this likely to cost. I am no part of it by the way. Can she register as a soletrader or something similar?

Thanks

Hi there,

New here but looking for some advice. I'm setting my GF up with a small business (Nothing expensive)

Where would she need to go to register her company and how much is this likely to cost. I am no part of it by the way. Can she register as a soletrader or something similar?

Thanks

For a small business for your GF, a company might not be the best option. A sole trader, partnership or limited partnership might be a better option.

These are generally registered at jungwat level. Go down to the jungwat offices (panit jungwat) ask some questions & get the forms.

You could also see a local lawyer (tanay) & get him to recomend the best business structure for you / GF. They will also be able to handle all the forms & lodge the application. Not expensive to use either.

If you are worried about protecting your interests see a lawyer that speaks English as well. Forum sponsor Sunbelt could be of some help here.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Hi there,

Thanks

For a small business for your GF, a company might not be the best option. A sole trader, partnership or limited partnership might be a better option.

These are generally registered at jungwat level. Go down to the jungwat offices (panit jungwat) ask some questions & get the forms.

You could also see a local lawyer (tanay) & get him to recomend the best business structure for you / GF. They will also be able to handle all the forms & lodge the application. Not expensive to use either.

If you are worried about protecting your interests see a lawyer that speaks English as well. Forum sponsor Sunbelt could be of some help here.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Hi there,

Thanks for the info. Not worried about my interests. I want no part of the business, but I want a legal setup to enable bank account etc to obtain UK visa in the future. Sole trader sounds OK. Any idea how much this would cost for her to set up? we're off to the bank tomorrow.

I'm not sure about setting up as a sole trader but am lead to believe its relatively in-expensive. You may have to register a business name for which ther will be fee & then register the sole trader business for which there will be a fee. Depending on anticipated or after a period of trading, actual sales you may have to register for VAT as well.

You would probably have to set the business up before opening a bank acc. for it.

Go down to the jungwat offices with your GF & just ask all the necessary questions.

Cheers,

Soundman.

A few years ago we started up our family business which then was all in my wifes name. No need for any lawyers there nor much registration. All it took to get perfectly legalized was getting two licenses (50 Baht each). The application needed a name for the business, but that was all the business registration required. Don't know how the tax-issue works elsewhere, but around here RD takes its yearly round to all the small businesses and collect tax according to what they believe a business of that kind should make. No bookkeeping is required by officialdom. VAT enters the picture when yearly turnover reaches 1.8 million Baht.

• 4 years later...

So a Thai can register a biz name very cheaply, I am aware of that and have a kind of sole trader.

Question: Can this little biz open a bank account in the biz name?

Can a Thai have several of these little biz?

VAT in this case would be well below the 1.2mill threshold, would all the income be considered the same as personal income for tax rates for a Thai?

I know it's opening a old thread up, but the information supplied is still very relevant and useful. jap.gif

Thank you George. rolleyes.gif