COE, convert VEE to non-O in Pattaya

g'day mates. Sydney boy and long-time lurker here so I should have it down pat but struggling a bit with the details.

I've found myself in the fortunate position of being able to retire early and want to ditch the nanny-state ???? and move to Thailand permanently. ETA is mid to late-November, assuming I can get the Aus travel exemption and depending on how the grand reopening develops.

looking at coming in on VEE instead of TR then converting to non-O in Pattaya. yerr I know, immi moved to Jomtien years ago. can't get TR because I don't keep my hard-earned in a bank.

a couple of Qs if I may:

1. COE application wants "current address in TL" - will I need to pre-book accommodation so that I can give them an actual address? I'm used to the old days of just rocking up to Patts in a taxi from Swampy,  heading straight to a bar and worrying about where I'll kip later in the night (or the next day)

2. non-O - they'll need an address but will they accept an hotel or do I have to book one month at a condo or house etc. I plan to get a long lease on a place eventually (Wong Amat looks nice) but obviously don't want to commit to anything sight unseen.

Thanks in advance.

1. You will certainly need address to put on the COE. You will to at least make a reservation for at least a one night stay.

2. You can use a hotel for the 90 day visa application. It would best to have proof you are staying there for at least 30 days.

When you apply for the one year extension they may want proof of a longer stay bh showing a rental agreement for it.

Do you currently have a Thai bank account to transfer the 800k baht into to show when your apply for the non-o visa?

hi Joe and thanks for the prompt response which I've noted.

I never did get around to opening a bank account on my previous travels so I guess the bank-opening joy awaits me ????.  I'll most likely be using an agent for everything and from what DrJack says, they can help with opening one or more bank accounts.

Have you been to Thailand recently?

I realize the answer is no. Point is that I'm having people contact me from Oz and reading between the lines of what they type, they clearly have zero idea of what the current situation is in Thailand.

I would suggest to pushing your trip back from mid Nov.

Back to your op.....A key thing that you will need is a Thai bank account. That's needed to apply for your non O and requires 800k baht on day you apply. Need to show those funds came from o/s. Money transfers using companies such as Wise is good option.

Money needs to be in bank for 2 months when you apply for 12 month extension. 

You can open a bank account using an agent if required.

19 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I'll most likely be using an agent for everything and from what DrJack says, they can help with opening one or more bank accounts.

If your using an agent you will not require funds in bank but will need a Thai bank account. 

Some agents just deal with the non O and 12 month extension. Be aware that costs baht and if can place the money in bank for financials that saves a lot. 

The process is not difficult.

If coming for retirement I would recommend obtaining the non O an extension yourself. 

Couple of posters have recommended Siam Legal for bank account. Obviously other companies can assist. 

Edited by DrJack54

@DrJack54mate I haven't been to Thailand since the end of 2014 but prior to that I went there on and off from June '97. so I'm not a total pro but not a noob either LOL

i know about the 800k requirement but thanks for restating the info, it never hurts to have it repeated.

but I'm coming over in November regardless and will just deal with whatever it's like when I get there. I know it'll be a shadow of its former self so I'm under no illusion that it'll be party central.

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

but I'm coming over in November regardless and will just deal with whatever it's like when I get there.

Good attitude.

Things still going on. For example we are going to Pattaya for fireworks end of November. That will be mainly Thai, which is sorta nice.

However right now the bars etc that you would know in places such as Soi 7-8 etc all shut. It's sad to see many businesses closed. 

You will be able to find many options for rental accommodation.

28 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If your using an agent you will not require funds in bank but will need a Thai bank account. 

Some agents just deal with the non O and 12 month extension. Be aware that costs baht and if can place the money in bank for financials that saves a lot. 

The process is not difficult.

If coming for retirement I would recommend obtaining the non O an extension yourself. 

Couple of posters have recommended Siam Legal for bank account. Obviously other companies can assist. 

I've been doing my homework and have read just about every recent thread in this channel so I know you're a DIY advocate.  but tbh I just really couldn't be bothered doing it on my own as I'm quite scatterbrained. I can afford an agent so why not let them do most of the work while I put my feet up and sip on my Beer Chaaang ????

but I won't be using the agent for the funds thingy, I'll be transferring in USD via SWIFT as soon as I get a bank account. Bangkok Bank seems to be the favourite bank on here so I'll probably use them unless anyone has any strong objections. separate accounts for the 800k and daily expenses so as not to accidentally dip below the minimum.

Edited by Lemsta69
typo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Good attitude.

Things still going on. For example we are going to Pattaya for fireworks end of November. That will be mainly Thai, which is sorta nice.

However right now the bars etc that you would know in places such as Soi 7-8 etc all shut. It's sad to see many businesses closed. 

You will be able to find many options for rental accommodation.

yeah I've seen some of the photos, it's shocking. that's why I want to come over and inject at least some money into the local economy. I'm not worried about the lack of booze, I'm on the wagon at the moment so I'm actually glad it wont be so easy to chug beer all the time like in the good old days.

as for accommodation choices, you're not wrong eh? too bloody many of them, where do ya start?! ????

8 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

as for accommodation choices, you're not wrong eh? too bloody many of them, where do ya start?!

Someone might suggest organize it from Oz. Yes that's possible but I would recommend doing it in Thailand.

You have a preferred location so that makes it much easier. You can check out first hand.

Just for one example. Take Viewtalay 6. If you walk to lobby there are many for rent and sale notices and offices with rentals.

Also for rent internet sites.

Depends what your after.

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Someone might suggest organize it from Oz. Yes that's possible but I would recommend doing it in Thailand.

You have a preferred location so that makes it much easier. You can check out first hand.

Just for one example. Take Viewtalay 6. If you walk to lobby there are many for rent and sale notices and offices with rentals.

Also for rent internet sites.

Depends what your after.

funny you should say that because I've come to  the same conclusion myself after looking at a few rental sites like fazwaz and hipflat (Google search results). I know they're not the only available vacancies and anyway photos don't tell the whole story.

funny also that you should mention VT6. my mate who lives over there says his mate books a flash pad there for a month each year and reckons it's the dogs erm pajamas. 

i hasn't found any online listings there that I like so risks for the tip about the lobby notice board.

as for long-term accommodation, I want a place close to and overlooking the water. that's not too rowdy or has a filthy smoker next door. high up too and with farang sized railings just in case LOL. wish me luck on my search ????

14 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

funny you should say that because I've come to  the same conclusion myself after looking at a few rental sites like fazwaz and hipflat (Google search results). I know they're not the only available vacancies and anyway photos don't tell the whole story.

funny also that you should mention VT6. my mate who lives over there says his mate books a flash pad there for a month each year and reckons it's the dogs erm pajamas. 

i hasn't found any online listings there that I like so risks for the tip about the lobby notice board.

as for long-term accommodation, I want a place close to and overlooking the water. that's not too rowdy or has a filthy smoker next door. high up too and with farang sized railings just in case LOL. wish me luck on my search ????

Will PM you some thoughts later. PM as rentals bit off topic. 

To the OP, I'm in Brissy and about to do the same thing in Nov/Dec.  Couple of points that seem different to my understanding.

(1) COE requires pre-paid 14 days hotel at either ASQ (Quarintine) or SHA+ (Phuket or Samui Sandbox, which also requires 3 pre-paid PCR tests)

(2) COE also requires proof of accommodation for rest of stay after the 14 days above (so for at least the end of 30 day exempt entry)

Note: Tourist visa only requires proof of 20,000 baht (A$850) so is it worth to open a simple account for that? I'm thinking TV is better as gives me 60 days with a 30 day extension to get O visa, so less stress

Edited by aussiexpat

16 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Note: Tourist visa only requires proof of 20,000 baht (A$850) so is it worth to open a simple account for that? I'm thinking TV is better as gives me 60 days with a 30 day extension to get O visa, so less stress

The 20k baht can be in a bank in Australia that is why they show the amount Australian dollars.

8 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

To the OP, I'm in Brissy and about to do the same thing in Nov/Dec.  Couple of points that seem different to my understanding.

(1) COE requires pre-paid 14 days hotel at either ASQ (Quarintine) or SHA+ (Phuket or Samui Sandbox, which also requires 3 pre-paid PCR tests)

(2) COE also requires proof of accommodation for rest of stay after the 14 days above (so for at least the end of 30 day exempt entry)

g'day mate. us cockroaches have to use the Thai consulate in Sydney and they ask for a different requirement to Canberra:

Proof of adequate finance

- A bank statement in the past six months showing a deposit account with the minimum fund of THB 10,000 per person, or THB 20,000 per family

but i first read it the other night whilst very tired and i reckon i've misinterpreted it to mean that you had to have had the funds in the account for six months. thanks to your question i've re-read it and i see now that it means the statement has to be no older than six months. thx, i'll reconsider going for the TR as it comes with the breathing space you mentioned.

as for the COE, i'll re-read that as well.  as you'll note from one of my other posts i'm a wee bit scatterbrained :crazy:

34 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

this is point 3. from https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/regis/step?language=en.  it doesn't mention anything about the post-AQ/SHA+ proof of accommodation:

Confirm application for Certificate of Entry (COE)

• Please provide flight details and upload plane ticket(s), proof of payment for AQ or AQ booking confirmation on arrival date OR receipt or proof of payment for SHA Plus accommodation, specifying both accommodation fees and RT-PCR COVID-19 test fees, and relevant required documents on “Confirm trip” menu in the next page.
    • Must be processed within 15 days in accordance with No. 2 otherwise a new registration is required

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

g'day mate. us cockroaches have to use the Thai consulate in Sydney and they ask for a different requirement to Canberra:

Proof of adequate finance

- A bank statement in the past six months showing a deposit account with the minimum fund of THB 10,000 per person, or THB 20,000 per family

Haha, I can't believe how different the SYD consulate is to CBR Embassy. Finance is as you said (so only $420 needed) and no mention on SYD about accommodation after ASQ, whereas CBR has for TV:

Proof of adequate finance  – copy of updated bank statement with a minimum balance of THB 20,000

Confirmed accommodation under the applicant’s name, after 14-day stay at Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) upon entry into Thailand

Edited by aussiexpat

4 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Haha, I can't believe how different the SYD consulate is to CBR Embassy. Finance is as you said (so only $420 needed) and no mention on SYD about accommodation after ASQ, whereas CBR has:

Proof of adequate finance  – copy of updated bank statement with a minimum balance of THB 20,000

Confirmed accommodation under the applicant’s name, after 14-day stay at Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) upon entry into Thailand

mate I've been lurking in here for a while and from reading way too many bickering posts over the years it would seem that historically consulates have been a bit more relaxed than embassies. also their respective websites and/or advice may not always be correct.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Yeah, pity they closed the Brissy consulate. For info, the covid insurance for the COE is 2,880 baht to cover the 60 days of the TV

https://covid19.tgia.org/

Screenshot_20210922-140614_Samsung Internet.jpg

thanks. Sheryl posted this in another thread and I already checked the price. quite surprised that it was lower than if you came from say, the USA. I hope it's not a mistake.

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Will PM you some thoughts later. PM as rentals bit off topic. 

g'day Jack. only if you've got nothing else to do mate. I've spent a fair bit of time in Pattaya and Naklua so I know my way around the place. not condo-wise but I'm sure I can bumble my way through it ????

• Like 1