Thailand reopening may be delayed to Nov 1: TAT

webfact

9 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

when will we find out then?

Will anything be open in the dark red/red zones that isn't open now?

Usually on a Sunday isn't it.... hopefully this coming one with end of month implementation. I have high hopes......

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand chief Yutthasak Suphasorn seemed unconcerned that the Phase Two reopening of Thailand to foreign tourists was likely to be put back a month when the CCSA meet today.

Sounds like the TAT have been told to pipe down about opening up dates and clouding the information that's accurate with predictions.

6 hours ago, Guderian said:

Not a big deal, the Chinese ain't coming and, for farangs, the high season doesn't really kick-off in Pattaya until well into November. If you remove the Chinese from the equation, then the high season for Western tourists has really been from December to February for quite a few years now, the days of it lasting from mid-October until after Songkran in April are long gone.

I take your point but "taking China out of the equation" is not optional anymore as they represent the vast majority of tourism in Thailand now.  The other growing market is India.  I think that the western tourists are pretty irrelevant for the next year or two and will never make up to the numbers they used to.  Apart from the gap year travelers of course.  Thailand is always hard wired into their itineraries!

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

I take your point but "taking China out of the equation" is not optional anymore as they represent the vast majority of tourism in Thailand now.  The other growing market is India.  I think that the western tourists are pretty irrelevant for the next year or two and will never make up to the numbers they used to.  Apart from the gap year travelers of course.  Thailand is always hard wired into their itineraries!

Spot on.

China is the big unknown going forward.

They are still pursuing a zero covid policy, 21 day quarantine period and apparently revamping internal infrastructure for domestic tourism.

The Thai property market needs Chinese buyers, i would think.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

2022/2023

Yep.

Reign in expectations.  There is nothing truly happening anywhere tourism related on the entire planet.  All countries are still recommending against unnecessary travel.  

There isn't a care free vacation happening yet with the family.  

If they are really hoping for Chinese tourists to save the day then they need to rethink. Winnie the Pooh seems intent on taking the country back to cultural revolution days and they aren’t allowing their citizens to travel, maybe because they might be exposed to what the rest of the world really thinks of them.

9 hours ago, paul1804 said:

I have said this before the Chinese group tourists are predominately on budget tours of which much is prepaid so the bulk of the money stays with the Chinese and doesnt get circulated in the community like with most other asian & western tourists. It is my observation that these budget groups eat a lot of street food,  frequent 7/11 and Thai roadside kitchens rather than dine in restaurants which of course they have every right to dine where and how they choose to but point is the money actually spent here is very small in comparison to other tourists so I do not understand why the Thai authorities are so focused on accommodating this kind of tourist! They are rather outspoken about discouraging back packers but I have to say the same back packers support a certain market here and do support restaurants and bars!

Actually, if what you say is true about where Chinese tour groups dine, then there is an excellent reason why the Thai authorities should be focused on this sector of the tourism trade. Namely, that it benefits those who need it most. 

10 hours ago, paul1804 said:

I have said this before the Chinese group tourists are predominately on budget tours of which much is prepaid so the bulk of the money stays with the Chinese and doesnt get circulated in the community like with most other asian & western tourists. It is my observation that these budget groups eat a lot of street food,  frequent 7/11 and Thai roadside kitchens rather than dine in restaurants which of course they have every right to dine where and how they choose to but point is the money actually spent here is very small in comparison to other tourists so I do not understand why the Thai authorities are so focused on accommodating this kind of tourist! They are rather outspoken about discouraging back packers but I have to say the same back packers support a certain market here and do support restaurants and bars!

Chinese tourists are the biggest spenders in Thailand - they love to shop, especially expensive brand name products - average consumption in 2017 was $193 per day for Chinese, while Americans spent $143 and Europeans on the bottom with only $125...????

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, khunPer said:

Isn't that what I'm saying, one week is too short time for hordes of tourists to arrive, a firm date ahead -where one knows that the vaccination targets can be met - is far better, like my suggested 1st November, or 1st December - or even 15th December, then the important Xmas-New Year peak season can be included...????

Yes I understood but what I am saying is most international travelers purchase tickets etc 3 months in advance...sometimes more.

120 days ago Prayut stated Oct 1st for sure

Many may have planned & purchased & now deal with changes & hopefully no upcharges

Next they should plan for Nov? Dec? or like us just say skip it?

8 minutes ago, meechai said:

Yes I understood but what I am saying is most international travelers purchase tickets etc 3 months in advance...sometimes more.

120 days ago Prayut stated Oct 1st for sure

Many may have planned & purchased & now deal with changes & hopefully no upcharges

Next they should plan for Nov? Dec? or like us just say skip it?

Some might have believed in the 120 days promise, but I will be surprised if it's "many", it was not an official firm reopening date...????

The biggest problems for tourists is not only the daft entry restrictions, but not knowing what Thailand will decide to do on restrictions and entry next. YOu simply cannot plan a holiday on that basis.

I'm outside, and away near 18 months, but I still say close it 2-3 months more, vaccinate what you can and open for vaccinated tourists with no restrictions the next month. No going back, that's it, time to get on with life or else they will just keep delaying and mucking about with new laws

8 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Yep.

Reign in expectations.  There is nothing truly happening anywhere tourism related on the entire planet.  All countries are still recommending against unnecessary travel.  

There isn't a care free vacation happening yet with the family.  

Not true. Have just been on vacation in Greece. For vaccinated no test and mostly open and normal everywhere. Many tourists at the tourist places.

17 minutes ago, martin81 said:

Not true. Have just been on vacation in Greece. For vaccinated no test and mostly open and normal everywhere. Many tourists at the tourist places.

have my visa ect ect and I have sold my house, but I want to delay my return to thailand. I was considering going on a greek island cruise with my wife 4-14 oct, but I believe if I do the cruise then when I return I will have to stay in Ireland for a few weeks as there are restrictions stopping people going to thailand if they have been on other travels in the previous few weeks.....have you heard of said rule

• Like 1