Pattaya ready to open to foreign tourists on Oct 1: Mayor

webfact

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

In my opinion very little foreigners will come. Those that needed to return to family etc and happy use ASQ have already come back, and the extreme rich will always do as they wish - but there are not enough of them. I'd return tomorrow if I was just flashing my vaccine card as would many others I talk to. 

Personally I think Thailand should host a hot air balloon festival, they'd always have enough resource !

"Opening" will do nothing to modify their convoluted Covid process, then they'll wonder why the only noises coming from the runways at Swampy will be crickets.

59 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

55555 It took just seven hours for this bold prediction to join the graveyard of false dawns in the delta era! The November date announcement has just hit the forums. By friday it will be December, by October it will be a grand opening in January, and the wheels on the ambulance go round and round.

Chok dee skirt chasers!

Got the link. Depressing.

Edited by Jeffr2

9 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

I guess some bar owners, "had it on good authority," like some said and thought before, they will open soon.  No way is it going to happen.   There are other variables  no one talks about, such as even if open there are not enough hospital beds for people who come and may need due to unforeseen issues, other than covid.  Hotels are not ready, only some have sent in maintenance  crews to start preparing the pipes, airconditner,  cleaning  up from the pest, and cats that have been livkng in these empty buildings  etc... the people may want and desire just out of need, but is this really a culture that plans or implements any action for a future needs?  No its a live in the moment society.

Plenty of hotels are at the ready.you haven’t obviously looked at the  ASQ  LIST

1oct sound great but people seem to forget that if that date holds true…it takes at least 2 weeks to get all the paper work in order since that wont be going away anytime soon. Make it 15 oct. win win for all.  

Just now, Scrotobike said:

Oh goody then the bars must be opening vert soon.

Silly man open what to whom???

Step by step tiger, Rome wasn't built in a day.

You think there are no customers in Pattaya?

What do you want?....a grand reopening of 1,000 bars and 500,000 tourists all arriving together?

11 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Step by step tiger, Rome wasn't built in a day.

You think there are no customers in Pattaya?

What do you want?....a grand reopening of 1,000 bars and 500,000 tourists all arriving together?

You compare the dirty old town Pattaya - centre of the sex industry to Rome?

Ah point taken

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, DefaultName said:

I can only speak with a Western culture perspective.  Opening the city without opening the bars is pointless, Westerners won't come.

They will focus on Indians and Russians, so perhaps this has been thought about!

1 hour ago, Hanuman2547 said:

It would be nice if Pattaya could open on 1 Oct.  I just don't see it happening yet.  I think he is being a little overly optimistic.  I'm really waiting for ALL of Thailand to open back up.  

It's been pushed back a month. Impossible to predict right now. Depressing!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 6:47 PM, Bkktodd said:

Plenty of hotels are at the ready.you haven’t obviously looked at the  ASQ  LIST

They have had plenty of domestic  tourist, and they actually  are content , well some of them.  Many Thais are afraid international tourist will chase away domestic tourist  and that international  numbers will be too low.  Also people have been booking rooms for two years now, but that doesnt mean they will come.  It may only be the Russian  and Chinese.   Countries like Australia  will not let there people out.  So yes, seen the numbers, and I see the daily numbee of covid cases.  These numbers just never seem accurate to anyone, and it being a 3rd world country impossible to get resl time information. Like,  are they are getting any number outside of walkin in patients?  How many test have you had?  How many have your freinds had?  How many of any one you know that has been tested even once for covid?  So knowing this fact, we can say with certainty  the numbers aren't accurate, and other countries know this too.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 10:18 AM, smedly said:

really ?

is that 2x jabs or 1

Not many of my Thai friends in Pattaya have had there first jab yet let alone two. Those that have had a jab are only getting Sinovac which by independent Chinese testing is only 23% effective against Delta. After a second jab of AZ immunity does improve to around 70%,  so do you think tourists would risk coming here.? They need full 70-80% herd immunity first, then consider opening up. l think 1st November is more realistic. And remember even after a second jab it takes several weeks to give you good immunity.

Dreamland, it's just not going to happen to any great extent for the next few months, far too many variables both inside and outside of Pattaya and Thailand's control.  

1) Foreign countries own travel restrictions, slow recovery of global tourism.

2) Thailand's own entry rules and regulations. India and Russia which Pattaya is talking about as kick start markets are more short term tour orientated, will quarantine for them be totally abolished come Nov 1st ? If not they won't be coming en masse.

3) What's on offer ?  Last thing on the agenda to open will be entertainment and serving of alcohol, still Pattaya's bread and butter and always how Pattaya has been marketed by TAT - Fun City . 1st November - really ?

4) The state of the place. Don't know who the Thai equivalent of Rentokil  are but I think I'd be buying shares, a busy few months ahead of a re-opening, gutting, fumigating, rewiring, plumbing etc the 70-80% of premises that have been shuttered for over a year. What state must some of the big hotels catering to the mass market tour groups be in ?

5) The beach is a mess again and likely to get worse before it gets better. Is that really in an acceptable state from a tourist perspective and as a shining example of this " Neo Pattaya " that we keep hearing about, even though countless hundred's of millions has already been spent on it.

I almost feel sorry for any early arrivals wherever they come from. Pattaya is not in the least bit ready to offer a quality product for foreign tourists and I doubt that will have changed much by November 1st

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kinyara said:

Dreamland, it's just not going to happen to any great extent for the next few months, far too many variables both inside and outside of Pattaya and Thailand's control.  

Yes, but it entices tenants to pay yet another month's rent.