Moved to Thailand Searching for Medicine

Joe6500

I’ve just moved to Thailand and I am on several medications. I’ve done my best, but so far haven’t been able to find reasonable prices on some of them and I’m hoping someone has some knowledge as to how I could find them at better prices.

The drugs that I have prescriptions for and that I’m having trouble finding for a reasonable price are aripiprazole (Abilify)and methylphenidate (Ritalin).  At Bangkok Hospital Pattaya they charged me  13,380 Baht for the Ritalin and Abilify for a month's supply; neither one was generic. Two other drugs I take I’ve found at reasonable prices already.

I asked Medisafe pharmacy in Bangkok, and they said Ritalin you have to get from a hospital, and they quoted me 4800 for a month of Abilify but didn’t seem to offer a generic.

If anyone could help me reduce my drug costs, I would be grateful. Thanks in advance.

No idea whats available only in a hospital, but if you walk out the hospital towards Sukhumvit road, there is a pharmacy called Fascino on the corner. They have most things and will be able to advise you on other stuff I would guess.

• Like 2

Not too sure as ive only been in bangkok for a short period, but from what I have read, certain medications, like narcotics (ritalin being one) is only available at hospitals. I have some specialty medications that cost a pretty penny in Thailand, one being androgel, although it's pretty expensive everywhere (like usa its still $100-$200 a month) but in Canada I had healthcare to cover that. 

maybe someone else can confirm whether or not government hospitals can provide cheaper prices

Edited by dj230

Ritalin and equivalents are strictly controlled drugs and can only be gotten from a hospital. It will be least expensive at a government hospital.

Abilify and its locally made generic equivalents (   Apalife and  Arepra  ) are category "S", require a doctor's prescription and record of sales, in practice this usually means only hospitals have it though sometimes a large pharmacy may if they are willing to go through all the paperwork entailed.

Your best bet for getting these are reasonable cost is the government psych hospital in Bangkok

https://www.somdet.go.th/public/Eng/main.php

If it is difficult for you to travel to Bangkok, you could try consulting psychiatrist at Chonburi Provincial Hospital (large government hospital in Chonburi town). Use the "after hours" clinic that starts around 3 PM on weekdays

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2021 at 2:10 PM, Sheryl said:

Ritalin and equivalents are strictly controlled drugs and can only be gotten from a hospital. It will be least expensive at a government hospital.

Abilify and its locally made generic equivalents (   Apalife and  Arepra  ) are category "S", require a doctor's prescription and record of sales, in practice this usually means only hospitals have it though sometimes a large pharmacy may if they are willing to go through all the paperwork entailed.

Your best bet for getting these are reasonable cost is the government psych hospital in Bangkok

https://www.somdet.go.th/public/Eng/main.php

If it is difficult for you to travel to Bangkok, you could try consulting psychiatrist at Chonburi Provincial Hospital (large government hospital in Chonburi town). Use the "after hours" clinic that starts around 3 PM on weekdays

Yes he is right i am under Chonburi heart hospital ,my meds are so very cheap there ,even by Farcino standards ,its a  very good govt hospital .

• Thanks 1