COVID PCR test timing

13 hours ago, treetops said:

KLM website says no test required if she's in transit, and Thais don't require test results to enter Thailand IIRC, but maybe safest to get one anyway.

Totally confused by all this now.  Treetops post above raised my concerns again so I did a little more checking. Despite what I was told by a KLM staff member (earlier post) at their Healthcare Centre and by their staff using the whatsapp contact - on checking their website and entering the details for a Thai citizen flying from the UK to Thailand, I got this:

Covid-19 Test Advised: Nationals of Thailand are advised to hold a medical certificate showing a negative RT-PCR test obtained within 72 hours prior to departure (tests other than a RT-PCR test are not accepted), including when transiting through Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK).

https://klm.traveldoc.aero

Note 'advised'!! Nothing about home test kits not being accepted and if I am to believe it - no compulsory test. I'm not going to pay for a test for my wife if its not needed. She's fully vaccinated and in any case, she'll be tested in quarantine.

On 9/24/2021 at 9:51 PM, gargamon said:

It was not an antigen test. i was flying to Canada and they do not accept antigen tests.

I received the second test below. It uses Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests (NAATs). Sufficient for most destinations. Again, check the Thai requirements.

From the Walgreens site:

1. Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR): The RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel Test - (NAAT) is used to detect genetic material (mRNA) of the coronavirus and will be sent to a laboratory for testing. Most turnaround times in 72 hours or less (varies based on location).
  2. Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material (mRNA) of the virus. The test is performed on-site, and results are available within 24 hours.
  3. Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW): Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) Test - Antigen (BinaxNOW) is an antigen test that detects the presence of a specific viral antigen. The test is performed on-site, and results are available within one hour. These tests measure current viral infection and help determine if an individual is actively infected with COVID-19 and can spread it to others. A follow-up diagnostic test may be required to confirm a positive result.

Did you say "rapid" or not?

"Walgreen's does a free rapid Covid test."

My experience. 

Sweden (Sunday): 12h. Same day service if before 1pm.

Airport Phuket-ANTGenes co ltd: 3h

Bangkok Hospital Siriroj. Phuket: 3h

Bangkok hospital Samui yesterday.....25h and still waiting for results. 

Sweden: spit in tube.

#1 phuket: both nostrils

#2 phuket: one nostrils

#3 Samui: throat and one nostril.

I've now got to the bottom of this confusing information from KLM.  It appears that they have 'jumped the gun' with regard to some of the proposed changes to the Sandbox Scheme. What up to now have been (and still are) proposals have somehow been applied by KLM thus: (A bit lengthy but its necessary)

If you are a Thai national traveling to Thailand with KLM before 1 October, visit klm.traveldoc.aero, enter your travel details and you will get the following rules:

Covid-19 Travel Alerts
  • Covid-19 Test Advised: Nationals of Thailand are advised to hold a medical certificate showing a negative RT-PCR test obtained within 72 hours prior to departure (tests other than a RT-PCR test are not accepted), including when transiting through Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK).
  • Covid-19 Authorisation Required: Passengers must hold a printed copy of a Certificate of Entry showing they have registered online.
  • Covid-19 Application Required: Passengers must download the ThailandPlus mobile app prior to departure.
  • Covid-19 Quarantine Accommodation Required: Passengers must hold a reservation for the Alternative Quarantine (AQ) hotel prior to boarding. Passengers must quarantine for 14 days on arrival in a government designated facility at their own expense.
  • Covid-19 Quarantine Accommodation Required: Passengers must hold a reservation for the Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) hotel prior to boarding unless "State Quarantine" (SQ) is mentioned in their Certificate of Entry. Passengers must quarantine for 14 days on arrival in a government designated or ASQ facility at their own expense.

However if you enter your details and select travel on or after 1 October you will get these rules.

Covid-19 Travel Alerts
  • Covid-19 Entry Permission: Passengers travelling to Phuket, Krabi, Phang-Nga, Surat Thani, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chon Buri, Phetchaburi, or Prachuap Khiri Khan under the "Tourist Sandbox Scheme" must present the following documents before departure:

1. Certificate of Entry (COE);
    2. Valid visa (if needed);
    3. Vaccination Certificate proving that the passenger is fully vaccinated against Covid-19 with a vaccine approved by either the Thai Ministry of Health or by WHO, and that at least 14 days have elapsed since the last dose;
    4. A printed negative RT-PCR test result obtained within 72 hours prior to departure;
    5. Covid-19 travel insurance certificate;
    6. Booking confirmation of a SHA+ Hotel booking;
    7. A confirmed travel itinerary; and
    8. A T8 Health Form.

Passengers must also download the ThailandPlus mobile app on their phone.

• Covid-19 Test Advised: Nationals of Thailand are advised to hold a medical certificate showing a negative RT-PCR test obtained within 72 hours prior to departure (tests other than a RT-PCR test are not accepted), including when transiting through Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK).
  • Covid-19 Authorisation Required: Passengers must hold a printed copy of a Certificate of Entry showing they have registered online.
  • Covid-19 Application Required: Passengers must download the ThailandPlus mobile app prior to departure.
  • Covid-19 Quarantine Accommodation Required: Passengers must hold a reservation for the Alternative Quarantine (AQ) hotel prior to boarding. Passengers must quarantine for 14 days on arrival in a government designated facility at their own expense.
  • Covid-19 Quarantine Accommodation Required: Passengers must hold a reservation for the Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) hotel prior to boarding unless "State Quarantine" (SQ) is mentioned in their Certificate of Entry. Passengers must quarantine for 14 days on arrival in a government designated or ASQ facility at their own expense.
  • Covid-19 Application Advised: Passengers are advised to download the AOT Airports app for tracking symptoms and entering locations on arrival. Passengers are also advised to download the SydeKick for ThaiFightCOVID app if they have arrived from a country at risk.

I have reported this to KLM and told them that the changes to the Sandbox schemes are just proposals, they have not come in to force yet and it is unlikely that they will start on 1 October.  Whether they listen or not and try to find out the correct information - who knows?

It seems their ground staff make their own rules up in any case - my wife is on a Facebook group for Thais concerned with visas ect, travelling to and from the UK. One member reported that on 11 September her son, travelling back to Bangkok from London Heathrow was denied boarding because he did not have a negative PCR-Test result.  The woman protested, showing the groundstaff their own website showing the travel requirements but they would not let the young man travel.  He had to get a PCR test near the airport and take a later flight. I'm guessing that was very expensive.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Did you say "rapid" or not?

"Walgreen's does a free rapid Covid test."

Did you not read my whole post? The description provided info about the rapid Walgreens test taken, again provided below. That said, the results do not say specifically the required "RT-PCR" so while it works for most destinations, Thailand is not one of them.

Not all rapid tests are antigen. What tests do they use at airports? Rapid tests? Results in minutes or hours. 

1. Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material (mRNA) of the virus. The test is performed on-site, and results are available within 24 hours.
Edited by gargamon

52 minutes ago, ToothlessMatt said:

Just took at look at expresstest.co.uk, is this a PCR test or an RT-PCR test and are airlines/immigration able to tell the difference?

I have no idea. I note on their Traveldoc site they only refer to RT-PCR - nothing at all about where the swab is taken. Both RT-PCR and Antigen (Not suitable for Thailand) tests are available as 'Home Test Kits' - no idea if the distinction is on the certicficate.

Edited by KhaoYai