Best string trimmer “attachments” for brush cutter

Kanada

I’m buying a four stroke gasoline powered brush cutter (already chose the brand of the cutter) and it comes with the blade which is great but I want to buy a string trimmer attach. to replace the factory blade!

Having had a couple of electric grass trimmers with the “tap on the ground to release more string” nightmares I’m thinking I’ll just go basic and manually attach new string as needed.

HOWEVER ???? I see there are a bunch of new style “auto release” type heads available now!

Anyone been down this road in the last while?

Edited by Kanada

4 minutes ago, Kanada said:

I’m thinking I’ll just go basic and manually attach new string as needed.

Thats what I do with my electric strimmer. It is a bit of a hassle because I generally have to change and renew mid cut but the tap function soon broke plus I discovered it is a lot cheaper to buy the string by the spool from a local shop than buying a new cartridge, only about 30- 40 baht. Another advantage with this is that you can buy the string in different gauges. I use a very thick gauge for weeds and thick grass and a thin one for the lawn. A spool also has a lot more string than a cartridge and lasts a long time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Denim said:

Thats what I do with my electric strimmer. It is a bit of a hassle because I generally have to change and renew mid cut but the tap function soon broke plus I discovered it is a lot cheaper to buy the string by the spool from a local shop than buying a new cartridge, only about 30- 40 baht. Another advantage with this is that you can buy the string in different gauges. I use a very thick gauge for weeds and thick grass and a thin one for the lawn. A spool also has a lot more string than a cartridge and lasts a long time.

Back when I was a younger man having to stop to replace string would have made me crazy but I don’t mind a break once in awhile????

The newer auto feeds and bump feeds make great promises but I’ve been down that rocky road too many times…haha

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tonray said:

My Makita trimmer works like a dream. First one where bump feed works great. Also very easy to change line. 

What make is your bump feed ,and where did you buy it .

I ask ,because I use the cord a lot around the garden ,I brought a bump feed for 250 baht from our local market ,that last a while before it fell apart .

Brought another  one from Home Pro 450 baht ,lasted one week ,a locking tab broke ,bits went flying never fond half of them.

Have seen knock off Stihl ones on Lazada less than 200 baht ,with the easy to feed the line on .

I now use a plate that you put about 10 inches of line on ,that get worn just replace it that was 175 baht from my local agriculture supply shop .

I think the last strimmer thread   that dealt with this a couple of months ago  .one member has , a cord holder that can use 4 strands of cord , made of aluminium uses an Allan key to undo the holder to replace the cord, available on Lazada. 

7 minutes ago, kickstart said:

I ask ,because I use the cord a lot around the garden ,I brought a bump feed for 250 baht from our local market ,that last a while before it fell apart .

Brought another  one from Home Pro 450 baht ,lasted one week ,a locking tab broke ,bits went flying never fond half of them.

Have seen knock off Stihl ones on Lazada less than 200 baht ,with the easy to feed the line on .

I now use a plate that you put about 10 inches of line on ,that get worn just replace it that was 175 baht from my local agriculture supply shop .

I think the last strimmer thread   that dealt with this a couple of months ago  .one member has , a cord holder that can use 4 strands of cord , made of aluminium uses an Allan key to undo the holder to replace the cord, available on Lazada. 

It's a Makita corded string trimmer. Tomorrow I'll go out back to the storage box and get you the model # . it's what's built-in to the trimmer.

Over the years since string trimmer attachments became more available I have tried, tested and destroyed many ! So far the most durable one has been one I sourced from lazada but modified it a little to allow the nylon "string to be inserted via slots rather than the eyelets it came with. That and adding a stronger spring to the bump feed system. Overall it is the ones with a solid metallic bump button that have lasted longest even if the main body is tough plastic . At the end of the day it is probably more to do with the severity of use that makes the difference.

While on the subject, make sure you are buying the correct trimmer line,  there's different thicknesses and shapes which will affect line breakage and how often you have to respool.

I went the simplest way possible! They gave me a new “bump”style spool with my brush cutter and on the advise of the business Owner I traded it for a manual style….simplest design ever! You push 10” (approx) piece of line of “any gauge” thru one of the four holes and it’s gripped and held!

The line pushes in the hole one way only…won’t pull back out but if it breaks you cans push it all the way thru with two fingers and it will drop right out! Push a new piece in!

The seem to be sold under a lot of different names but “black cutter” is the name on mine bu Robin!

2 other company photos included but same

0ABF4B2F-DAA1-49DA-8D32-A82AF5DF152C.jpeg

CBF99E01-6E06-442C-B11A-A9D6EDDE089B.jpeg

Edited by Kanada
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, kickstart said:

Makita UR3000. Bump Feed works like a charm

I have a solid metal head (round) with 2 holes which take your choice of polypropylene cord, I use 2mm, you cut the cord to length insert via a gate which holds the cord in place. Much safer around  the house than a blade. it takes seconds to reload and being solid metal, lasts much longer than the plastic  bump type.

23 hours ago, Kanada said:

I went the simplest way possible! They gave me a new “bump”style spool with my brush cutter and on the advise of the business Owner I traded it for a manual style….simplest design ever! You push 10” (approx) piece of line of “any gauge” thru one of the four holes and it’s gripped and held!

The line pushes in the hole one way only…won’t pull back out but if it breaks you cans push it all the way thru with two fingers and it will drop right out! Push a new piece in!

The seem to be sold under a lot of different names but “black cutter” is the name on mine bu Robin!

2 other company photos included but same

0ABF4B2F-DAA1-49DA-8D32-A82AF5DF152C.jpeg

CBF99E01-6E06-442C-B11A-A9D6EDDE089B.jpeg

I am on second one of these ,they are ok ,but where the  line goes through the holes on the plate ,over time it gets sharp ,then your new length of cord you just put on hits something hard ie stone ,and it snaps off .

This pack looks like 2mm line to light use, the round 3mm ,or I have seen a plastic covered braided line 10 m 100-120 baht ,are ok, the square shaped  section line is not good dose not last long.

Thanks for that Makita bump feed link will look ,being Makita should be of good quality . 

10 hours ago, kickstart said:

I am on second one of these ,they are ok ,but where the  line goes through the holes on the plate ,over time it gets sharp ,then your new length of cord you just put on hits something hard ie stone ,and it snaps off .

This pack looks like 2mm line to light use, the round 3mm ,or I have seen a plastic covered braided line 10 m 100-120 baht ,are ok, the square shaped  section line is not good dose not last long.

Thanks for that Makita bump feed link will look ,being Makita should be of good quality . 

I’ll watch for that????

23 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Try this.  Adios the string, get two pieces of old light weight bike chain (small gauge from a kids bike or similar) of the appropriate length and modify the base of the trimmer to bolt the pieces of chain to a metal disk.  They will last forever and cut as well as any form of nylon string.

When you bolt on the chain, use lock nuts or spring washers and loctite, or the chain may fly off and go right through the passenger door of your Mother-in-law's brand new car - don't ask me how I know.

No!

• Thanks 1

Someone recommended this in another thread - it’s good. I needed to knock up a 3D printed adaptor so that it’s centrally located without any issues.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.4xV0R

i also printed up a hex key that slides on the strimmer tool for changing the cord.

Our gardener is useless, he manages to cut the cable for the hedge trimmer everytime and I change the strimmer line  before every visit, and he manages to cut one Rai of rough garden with the same length of grey metal cord. (As in post above) 

Edited by recom273

15 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Our gardener is useless, he manages to cut the cable for the hedge trimmer everytime and I change the strimmer line  before every visit, and he manages to cut one Rai of rough garden with the same length of grey metal cord. (As in post above) 

Wow, our gardener (me but only for cutting the grass ???? ) have used the same trimmer line 2 times already (and our garden is 2 Rai) and that includes along side the walls.

Ps: I don't use a "normal" Grass Cutter but one of these

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/taka-4hm35-4-3-concept-n-i619372822-s1179686243.html

But we changed the engine to a Honda GX-35 (which was more expensive then the whole machine was 5555555)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Yes…it’s the same one called a Black Cutter but sold by many many different companies 

I’m very happy with mine too

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Wow, our gardener (me but only for cutting the grass ???? ) have used the same trimmer line 2 times already (and our garden is 2 Rai) and that includes along side the walls.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/taka-4hm35-4-3-concept-n-i619372822-s1179686243.html

But we changed the engine to a Honda GX-35 (which was more expensive then the whole machine was 5555555)

Looks like easier to get an even cut with this?!

I still need the brush cutter style to go where I want to but these loo good for lawns

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbko said:

Or may fly off and do serious damage to your lower leg.  No thanks, I'll stick with nylon.

There’s things you can adapt and play around with but an old piece of kids bicycle chain turning at 5000 rpm isn’t one of them.

it’s not if it’s “when”?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kanada said:

Looks like easier to get an even cut with this?!

I still need the brush cutter style to go where I want to but these loo good for lawns

In whole honesty I don't care much if it looks good or not, I only care of the grass is low because we are surrounded by Rice Fields and thus have lots of snakes visiting which, when the grass is too high you can't see them.

But must say if you go forward cutting then turn around and cutting along side it really looks good!

At first my wife had doubts but she is now convinced. Even the BIL (who is very skilled with the "normal" brush cutter) is even starting to like it, but he says it's a bit slower but easier on his back???? , but he won't use it for when is gathering grass for his cows ????

Ps: What we have is not a lawn, but more like a free for all grass patch with all kinds of weeds etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I couldn't give him one of them, he has trouble walking and strimming at the same time, let alone pushing something.

tbh, I was more thinking about the base plate than the user - in the last thread the discussion was that the cutting wire would break as it entered the hole on the plate. The one I bought, the one that was suggested in the last thread is perfect, so perfect that an 18 year old high school dropout can use it.

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Will that plate that holds the line fit direct to my Honda GX35 trimmer ?, my machine came with blade only, so now looking to chop some weeds around a cement wall

12 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

Will that plate that holds the line fit direct to my Honda GX35 trimmer ?, my machine came with blade only, so now looking to chop some weeds around a cement wall

From that page

ab.thumb.jpg.7100cdc0216d6a18eee6e135ad7af656.jpg

Or from the reviews, so you see it fits to the standard "Brush Cutter Head"

ac.jpg.1682ced6239ca8d11c1afb229e9685f3.jpg

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

Yes…you replace the blade with the nylon line cutter attachment…I think  all machines will interchange blade with line attachment except those that have a curved pole…I don’t think you can use a blade with them!

7 hours ago, MJCM said:

+1

The word you are looking for in these is "สลิง"

(these are the ones with the steel cable inside which is covered by plastic)

I have used the Ser-Ling,the braided  cable with a plastic outer ,it is ok ,I have found it does not last much longer than the 3 mm plastic cord ,and for what it is ,it is  expensive ,

My local builders merchants sell's  120 meter of 3 mm cord for 380 baht  ,should last me a while ,but as I said the plates do get worn and the cable will soon  snap .

Also, my strimmer is a Mitsubishi 2-stroke a powerful machine ,and on long grass ,it cuts it well ,but the cable soon wears 10 minuets  on hard going .

Looking at that Makita bump feed ,I used to work for a landscape gardening firm in the uk ,we only had Sthl strimmers ,and they bump feed is very good ,not available in Thailand ,on my shopping list for my next trip back to the uk .