Best string trimmer “attachments” for brush cutter

Kanada

On 9/30/2021 at 10:48 AM, MJCM said:

From that page

ab.thumb.jpg.7100cdc0216d6a18eee6e135ad7af656.jpg

Or from the reviews, so you see it fits to the standard "Brush Cutter Head"

ac.jpg.1682ced6239ca8d11c1afb229e9685f3.jpg

I just received my parts today from Lazada, on the drawing it shows two lines of nylon but in the picture you provided it shows 4 lines. I observe on the plate it has slots for 4 lines so is two ok or best to run 4

10 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

I just received my parts today from Lazada, on the drawing it shows two lines of nylon but in the picture you provided it shows 4 lines. I observe on the plate it has slots for 4 lines so is two ok or best to run 4

I put two 10” lines thru the same hole bending one short end left and one right to grip.

Same on the other side of the disc 180 degrees across …2 lines thru same hole!

If you happen to install the disc upside down it won’t turn plus you don’t need to tighten it down too much …just snug.

These things really work well!!

Edited by Kanada
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kanada said:

I put two 10” lines thru the same hole bending one short end left and one right to grip.

Same on the other side of the disc 180 degrees across …2 lines thru same hole!

If you happen to install the disc upside down it won’t turn plus you don’t need to tighten it down too much …just snug.

These things really work well!!

On the pictures they are using all 4 lines supplied along with the head, will this work if i follow same as the picture, i have never used this fixed head before so not so clear

https://th.aliexpress.com/i/33019564674.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2tha

52 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

On the pictures they are using all 4 lines supplied along with the head, will this work if i follow same as the picture, i have never used this fixed head before so not so clear

https://th.aliexpress.com/i/33019564674.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2tha

I think you can use whatever configuration you like as long as it’s balanced so you don’t get a vibration!

I’m sending you photos of mine works for me but don’t over think it!

Do one way and when you change the plastic lines go the other way…I’m using 3 mm line and it lasts for ever but I dont let the head rest on the ground like some do…this head has 7 hours or so on it and this is the second set of plastic lines!

Theyre good for another hour or two yet for me!

FD027737-B45F-4631-8248-6ABB8A105AFD.jpeg

DBF2584E-5325-4324-A7F7-FD53FB0A3ACB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2021 at 9:18 PM, Kanada said:

I went the simplest way possible! They gave me a new “bump”style spool with my brush cutter and on the advise of the business Owner I traded it for a manual style….simplest design ever! You push 10” (approx) piece of line of “any gauge” thru one of the four holes and it’s gripped and held!

The line pushes in the hole one way only…won’t pull back out but if it breaks you cans push it all the way thru with two fingers and it will drop right out! Push a new piece in!

The seem to be sold under a lot of different names but “black cutter” is the name on mine bu Robin!

2 other company photos included but same

0ABF4B2F-DAA1-49DA-8D32-A82AF5DF152C.jpeg

CBF99E01-6E06-442C-B11A-A9D6EDDE089B.jpeg

I use something similar to the top model.

I bought around 250 metres of 2.5 nylon "string" stored in a tall drum. I have modified it by pop riveting each side of the feeder loops and cut the nylon into 60cm lengths. 50cm is probably a better length. The head is slower with new cords but speeds up as the nylon wears away.

That does well on the concrete edges, over and under water pipes etc and bits like that. It isn't very good on long wet grass, but the blade deals with that.

I use a 50cc, 4 stroke long shaft weed whacker and I also have a 35cc 2 stroke weed whacker on wheels with both a blade and the nylon disc. Being a 2 stroke it spins much faster and sometimes 1 or both nylon cords get ripped out.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I use something similar to the top model.

I bought around 250 metres of 2.5 nylon "string" stored in a tall drum. I have modified it by pop riveting each side of the feeder loops and cut the nylon into 60cm lengths. 50cm is probably a better length. The head is slower with new cords but speeds up as the nylon wears away.

That does well on the concrete edges, over and under water pipes etc and bits like that. It isn't very good on long wet grass, but the blade deals with that.

I use a 50cc, 4 stroke long shaft weed whacker and I also have a 35cc 2 stroke weed whacker on wheels with both a blade and the nylon disc. Being a 2 stroke it spins much faster and sometimes 1 or both nylon cords get ripped out.

Wow 60 cm….that seems really long

I’m using 25cm (9-10 inches)…that leaves maybe 7.5-8 inches after clamping them in and seems perfect to me!!? I get 2 hours or so out of a set of 3.0 lines and that’s mostly working around base of trees, rocks and sidewalks etc and it will cut long grass like a demon !!

I bought the head with the line just for working in close to trees shrubs and flower beds and foundations…My wife has a couple dozen little birds eye pepper shrubs that she doesn’t want destroyed so the blade won’t cut it “so to speak”????

Edited by Kanada
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kanada said:

Wow 60 cm….that seems really long

I’m using 25cm (9-10 inches)…that leaves maybe 7.5-8 inches after clamping them in and seems perfect to me!!? I get 2 hours or so out of a set of 3.0 lines and that’s mostly working around base of trees, rocks and sidewalks etc and it will cut long grass like a demon !!

I bought the head with the line just for working in close to trees shrubs and flower beds and foundations…My wife has a couple dozen little birds eye pepper shrubs that she doesn’t want destroyed so the blade won’t cut it “so to speak”????

I am using 2.5mm square nylon and I used to use 50cm which was OK but I am not cutting grass as such but scrub grass and some sort of growth that can grow up to about 3 metres or more. The smaller stuff about a metre or so I can cut with the nylon bur bigger than that it needs the blade and rather than cutting it nicely I try to scalp the ground in an effort to get the roots out as well.

I have over 2 rai to clear so 5 days a week I am out around 7am for an hour. I can't do much more than that as I'm 77 with 2 wonky kneecaps and a bad back. I start at one point and work my way around there then go 2km up to my wife's old shop and do that. The shop is now an isolation home as the Pu Yai Ban asked my wife if the village could use it and she said yes.

Having finished all the scrub cutting I am back at the start again. It is a bit like painting the Forth Bridge in Scotland. It takes them a year. For me it is only march/April to November/December.

I retired from working offshore in NZ in May 2009 and when I got home I couldn't see the house from the road as nobody had cut the scrub for over a year. That Is when I started to learn about scrub cutting. I bought a cheap 2 stroke and it took me about 3 weeks to cut the scrub outside which was over 3 metres high. I thought before I started it would be an easy job. Boy was I wrong. It was probably no more than 300 m/sq and I was doing 2 or 3 hours a day then.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am using 2.5mm square nylon and I used to use 50cm which was OK but I am not cutting grass as such but scrub grass and some sort of growth that can grow up to about 3 metres or more. The smaller stuff about a metre or so I can cut with the nylon bur bigger than that it needs the blade and rather than cutting it nicely I try to scalp the ground in an effort to get the roots out as well.

I have over 2 rai to clear so 5 days a week I am out around 7am for an hour. I can't do much more than that as I'm 77 with 2 wonky kneecaps and a bad back. I start at one point and work my way around there then go 2km up to my wife's old shop and do that. The shop is now an isolation home as the Pu Yai Ban asked my wife if the village could use it and she said yes.

Having finished all the scrub cutting I am back at the start again. It is a bit like painting the Forth Bridge in Scotland. It takes them a year. For me it is only march/April to November/December.

I retired from working offshore in NZ in May 2009 and when I got home I couldn't see the house from the road as nobody had cut the scrub for over a year. That Is when I started to learn about scrub cutting. I bought a cheap 2 stroke and it took me about 3 weeks to cut the scrub outside which was over 3 metres high. I thought before I started it would be an easy job. Boy was I wrong. It was probably no more than 300 m/sq and I was doing 2 or 3 hours a day then.

That is a huge job alright…we’re four rai here but have it mostly in big trees, fruit trees and flowers with one rai in bananas that I’m killing off slowly!

Left to its own for couple of years as we did  lit will grow a foot high or so. Rather than have it grow up and go to seed we have a guy come in and do the whole thing once every 3-4 weeks…pretty cheap and he’s dependable enough.

I’m 71 in good shape but this is more than I want to look ! Slowly slowly we lay down sod here and there and it spreads out and chokes off the weeds….50 pieces of sod for 500 baht laid down in rainy season will spread surprisingly fast…

I just use the line head for cleaning up flower beds and trees etc. as I said so different work than you have there! When the dry season comes it’s easy to look after but in rainy season ie: now things grow fast!

I’m surprised your machine will soon that much plastic cord fast enough to cut that big stuff!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kanada said:

That is a huge job alright…we’re four rai here but have it mostly in big trees, fruit trees and flowers with one rai in bananas that I’m killing off slowly!

Left to its own for couple of years as we did  lit will grow a foot high or so. Rather than have it grow up and go to seed we have a guy come in and do the whole thing once every 3-4 weeks…pretty cheap and he’s dependable enough.

I’m 71 in good shape but this is more than I want to look ! Slowly slowly we lay down sod here and there and it spreads out and chokes off the weeds….50 pieces of sod for 500 baht laid down in rainy season will spread surprisingly fast…

I just use the line head for cleaning up flower beds and trees etc. as I said so different work than you have there! When the dry season comes it’s easy to look after but in rainy season ie: now things grow fast!

I’m surprised your machine will soon that much plastic cord fast enough to cut that big stuff!!

This machine is 50cc compared with the Honda 4 stroke that I shared with my neighbours and it was leaking engine oil through leaky O ring seals. 

It was 11 years old I stopped the guy from repairing it and gave it to him as payment for work done over the years. It had 1 major rebuild during those 11 years.

My new one uses less fuel as well.

I think that I will chop 10cm from the latest ready batch of nylon.