British crypto trader mixed up in drugs and guns arrested in Hua Hin

8 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Bretta pistols were all the rage 20 or 30 years ago when they were still used by US forces but now Thais are crazy about Glocks which are easier to shoot and just as reliable with a greater cool factor.  Also spare parts high capacity mags are readily available and Glocks are easy to tune up. There must a lot of unwanted Berettas floating around as well as old revolvers, of which he also had one.  Thais often don't realise they can easily inherit a gun from a deceased family member to register it in their own name and legally sell it, if they have no use for it. So they just tend to sell old guns of deceased family members into the black market, where they can fall into the hands of sleezy farang yobs and crims in Pattaya, Hua Hin & etc.

Cops can't hold anyone responsible for these guns as the registered owner is dead and the family will just say they never saw the gun in the deceased's possessions, so he must have lost it or sold it before he died.  Another route for distribution of genuine firearms is the Interior Ministry's civil service welfare scheme that imports huge quantities of guns to sell at discounted prices to civil servants, state enterprise employees and even local defense olunteers. This is a massive money spinner for corrupt ministry officials who control the import and distribution of the guns. Many civil servants sell their guns into the black market, file a police report of a lost or stolen gun and apply to buy another one.   

how did you acquire this knowledge may I ask?

What a complete tosser. We stayed at the four seasons Koh S and it was 35,000 baht a night. Its a 5 star hotel. Imagine sitting by their pool/ beach drinking a cocktail and some idiot farang is firing shots in your direction. 

Lock up this immature idiot please and then deport him for life ban....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

I'll bet he was well putside the 100 meter range of the gun when he was firing it making the whole incident quite irrelevant.

Of course you would still hear it on the beach.

Out of accurate range but could still do some damage. I have seen people shoot 9mm pistols at 100 meters and not doing too badly. If you can see where the shots fall with puffs of dust, you can walk your shots to a man size target. (I have also tried this with a .22LR rifle at 400m which was fun). There are YouTube videos of 9mm pistol shots at 200m or more which takes a lot of practice.  But, if the yobs pointed their guns upwards at arround 45% they would have a good chance of hitting the beach from 100-200m.  Shotguns are also capable of shooting decent groups at a 100m, if loaded with slugs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bbabythai said:

how did you acquire this knowledge may I ask?

I have been a sports shooter in Thailand for many years - pistols, revolvers, shotguns, rimfire and centerfire rifles. You get to hear this stuff from other shooters and gun shop owners and can read some online in English or Thai.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, david555 said:

Beretta new generation is far of from looking old ,the Beretta px4 / storm / compact & sub compact looking much more sexy cool than that stupid square looking Glock ..... most ugly gun i find ???? ....,

But nothing bad saying from his excellent working way 

I corrected myself after I saw the pictures.  Yes it was a new model Beretta, not the standard 92F that used to be popular in Thailand.  I agree about Glocks but Thais love them.  They are also relatively cheap in a country where legal guns are prohibitively expensive. I don't like the trigger on the Beretta 92F (I had one of the .380 Beretta Cheetahs which is virtually the same mechanism back in the day).  I don't know, if the new models are much better . Probably not.  I don't like Glock triggers much either .  I like trigger on a 1911 or a CZ Shadow which can easily be tuned up to be very light.  That is from a sports shooting perspective though.  For a service or self defense gun, light triggers are dangerous and a Beretta factory trigger is a pretty good choice.  I have mixed feelings about Glocks due to the lack of safeties.  Even a 5.5lb factory Glock trigger can result in an accidental discharge under stress which happens quite often US police forces that use Glocks. Cops have quite often shot their buddies by accident in police stations with Glocks too, specially with the models that needed you to pull the trigger before removing the slide. So many accidants are aused by people just removing the magazine from a pistol without checking there is no round in the chamber.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I corrected myself after I saw the pictures.  Yes it was a new model Beretta, not the standard 92F that used to be popular in Thailand.  I agree about Glocks but Thais love them.  They are also relatively cheap in a country where legal guns are prohibitively expensive. I don't like the trigger on the Beretta 92F (I had one of the .380 Beretta Cheetahs which is virtually the same mechanism back in the day).  I don't know, if the new models are much better . Probably not.  I don't like Glock triggers much either .  I like trigger on a 1911 or a CZ Shadow which can easily be tuned up to be very light.  That is from a sports shooting perspective though.  For a service or self defense gun, light triggers are dangerous and a Beretta factory trigger is a pretty good choice.  I have mixed feelings about Glocks due to the lack of safeties.  Even a 5.5lb factory Glock trigger can result in an accidental discharge under stress which happens quite often US police forces that use Glocks. Cops have quite often shot their buddies by accident in police stations with Glocks too, specially with the models that needed you to pull the trigger before removing the slide. So many accidants are aused by people just removing the magazine from a pistol without checking there is no round in the chamber.

Now Sig Sauer is chosen for the US army , finish Beretta .

For concealed and protection  that Beretta is big enough to carry 13 x9mm or  10 S&W 40 in his 15cm length &  $ 650.00  many adaptable options as grip adapters depending size of hand etc.

But guns are not for show waving in the air as this fool did ....

7 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

Aha ! Crypto-currency !  The funny money for dodgy deals? If only I used Twitter!  (dig dig)

Ah Twitter....The Encyclopaedia Britannica for Sun readers.

(Possibly only Brits will get this one...for Americans   "Ah Twitter....The Encyclopaedia Americana for National Enquirer readers.")

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ronster said:

Trader ? Didn’t look like he could tie his shoes from what I remember , so he’s either not a trader or very lucky .

How the hell he wasn’t deported or jailed after last time should be looked into as he was totally off his face on ice shooting towards the four seasons and they found a pile of drugs at his apartment and another gun from what I recall . ????

Maybe he didn't overstay a week or two.

(Sarky button, where are you).

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

I'll bet he was well putside the 100 meter range of the gun when he was firing it making the whole incident quite irrelevant.

Of course you would still hear it on the beach.

Of course I have no idea what your experience is with firearms, but if you go by "effective range", that will be what people seem to usually refer to as the range a shooter is likely to hit a target to kill them and the average joe shooting a 9mm, that would probably be up to somewhere around 50 meters. A good shooter would extend that range to 100+ meters. I've seen a guy put groupings of about a meter from 200 meters with a 9mm pistol. As far as lethality of a 9mm pistol, it is MUCH farther than 100 meters. I've seen a guy shoot a 9mm and hit targets from 400 meters. He was not your average shooter and even at that, it wasn't like he was able to hit a body sized target with every shot at all, but he was able to hit it. And the hits showed that it would absolutely be lethal. At 100 meters a 9mm cartridge will fire a bullet with only about a 6 inch drop on target. As for the range a 9mm bullet can reach and still be lethal, I don't know, but it is most certainly a LOT more than 100 meters. I've seen it at 400+ meters and I would be willing to bet pretty much everything I own that it would still quite easily be lethal at over 1,000 meters. It wouldn't be accurate whatsoever, but some guy shooting randomly from a boat toward shore less than 1,500 meters is a lethal threat to the populace on shore as far as I'd be concerned.
EDIT: I decided to look up info on range. It was interesting. I found this:
image.png.c3341060a680f3e24a6e56ba6c5364e8.png

https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/DomnaAntoniadis.shtml

And then I wondered about the lethality of 300-350 ft/s velocity and found this excerpt from an interesting report:
"The scientific literature reports incidences of celebratory firing as a major public health concern internationally. In Kuwait, after the end of the Gulf War, the Kuwaitis celebrated by firing weapons into the air—and 20 Kuwaitis died from falling bullets. In Los Angeles, between the years 1985 and 1992, doctors treated 118 people for random falling-bullet injuries at King/Drew Medical Center, and 38 of them died. Practically all of the injuries were due to happy holiday weekend revelers.
Bullets fired into the air during celebrations return at a speed fast enough to penetrate the skin and cause internal damage to other organs in the path of the migrating bullet. The bullet’s velocity required for skin penetration is between 148 and 197 feet per second. A velocity of less than 200 feet per second, which is easily obtained by a celebratory gunfire, is capable of fracturing bone and even causing intracranial penetration. Spent bullets have the capability of reaching up to 600 feet per second during their downfall, and thus they have the ability to inflict damage to multiple body cavities."
https://www.annalsthoracicsurgery.org/article/S0003-4975(06)00831-9/fulltext
In the end, that numbskull shooting toward the shore jeopardized many lives. He should be severely punished.

Edited by Sig
corrected a typo and added newly discovered info
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

Wow! Ever so sensitive! But where and when did I say I was against crypto? Or where I said fiat currency is not used for dodgy deals? Nice tho' that you inadvertently concede  cryptocurrency can also be used for dodgy deals. However is it not so that fiat currency is minted and recorded on a ledger according to national treasuries providing comparative trading values whereas crypto can be "created" , "mined", in an electronic smokescreen yet is ultimately "valued" in fiat comparisons even to each other?

I do believe that eventually "money" will eventually cease to physically exist in exchange for electronic accreditation of purchasing capacity or debit liability. All good until a major solar flare or nuclear war event !

Meanwhile be happy with your own convictions.

oops!(convictions being in what you are convinced about, not the result of dodgy deals gone wrong )

????

hahaha sorry if I'm too sensitive to humorous things. I guess I laugh too easily at absurdities.
Where and when did you say you were against crypto? Nowhere that I recall offhand. And I didn't say that you were against crypto either. Of course my statement implied such, just as yours did. And more to the point, it is a fact, as I said, that "...people use this as an excuse to be against something that they know virtually nothing at all". I hear it regularly.
You made me laugh again... sorry, I guess I just love finding humor in things.... but you say that you found it nice that I "inadvertently concede  cryptocurrency can also be used for dodgy deals". That's funny. It doesn't need to be inadvertent, as though I wouldn't say that outright. There's nothing to concede when I'm not defending something. Of course crypto can be used and is used for dodgy deals, so can your lawnmower or a hubcap off a wheel of your car or a loaf of bread. Dodgy deals can be made with anything somebody may want or need. At present, the worldwide prevalent medium for dodgy deals, I think the case can be made, is the U.S. Dollar and crypto can't even remotely hold a candle to it. The tens of billions in yearly credit card fraud alone (dealing with fiat currencies) is likely more than all fraud with crypto presently. Of course that is only conjecture and fraud will certainly increase as crypto becomes more widespread, but saying that it is "The funny money behind dodgy deals" is saying a lot and missing a lot. 
I really couldn't care less about what people consider money. If I can make a gain from exchanging something that somebody willingly exchanges in return, it works for me. I guess that's my conviction and yep, I'll continue being happy in that conviction and exchange whatever works, whether it's lawnmowers, crypto or fiat. I've done Forex trading with fiat the past couple of decades, but find the return is much more satisfying with crypto these days. Maybe if a nasty solar flare hits or nuclear war that doesn't vaporize me arrives, I'll move to trading lawnmowers or loaves of bread ????

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sig said:

hahaha sorry if I'm too sensitive to humorous things. I guess I laugh too easily at absurdities.
Where and when did you say you were against crypto? Nowhere that I recall offhand. And I didn't say that you were against crypto either. Of course my statement implied such, just as yours did. And more to the point, it is a fact, as I said, that "...people use this as an excuse to be against something that they know virtually nothing at all". I hear it regularly.
You made me laugh again... sorry, I guess I just love finding humor in things.... but you say that you found it nice that I "inadvertently concede  cryptocurrency can also be used for dodgy deals". That's funny. It doesn't need to be inadvertent, as though I wouldn't say that outright. There's nothing to concede when I'm not defending something. Of course crypto can be used and is used for dodgy deals, so can your lawnmower or a hubcap off a wheel of your car or a loaf of bread. Dodgy deals can be made with anything somebody may want or need. At present, the worldwide prevalent medium for dodgy deals, I think the case can be made, is the U.S. Dollar and crypto can't even remotely hold a candle to it. The tens of billions in yearly credit card fraud alone (dealing with fiat currencies) is likely more than all fraud with crypto presently. Of course that is only conjecture and fraud will certainly increase as crypto becomes more widespread, but saying that it is "The funny money behind dodgy deals" is saying a lot and missing a lot. 
I really couldn't care less about what people consider money. If I can make a gain from exchanging something that somebody willingly exchanges in return, it works for me. I guess that's my conviction and yep, I'll continue being happy in that conviction and exchange whatever works, whether it's lawnmowers, crypto or fiat. I've done Forex trading with fiat the past couple of decades, but find the return is much more satisfying with crypto these days. Maybe if a nasty solar flare hits or nuclear war that doesn't vaporize me arrives, I'll move to trading lawnmowers or loaves of bread ????

There really does need be a more appropriate emoticon for such comment.????

8 hours ago, Sig said:

EDIT: I decided to look up info on range. It was interesting. I found this:
image.png.c3341060a680f3e24a6e56ba6c5364e8.png

This is an incredible distance that a fired round can travel.  Granted, accuracy is severely compromised but it is still a lethal round if it comes in contact with someone.  The 45ACP is a big fat round but will still travel 1800yds (1645 metres) which is very far.  The 30-06 can travel just over 5 kilometres.  It is a popular hunting round.  The .223 Remington (5.56mm) is the most common round carried by US forces in their M4 rifles.  It's also the caliber found in the civilian counterpart in the US called the AR-15.  This round can travel just over 3.5 kilometres.

Anyway, guns can be very dangerous when used in a reckless manner.  This Brit should have been locked up and then deported!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...