Drivers Licence renewal Phuket

alphason

I know there has been a recent topic on this that has been closed, thanks for the info there.

241193003_10165569074265072_705420968893

Do they still do the eyesight and reaction tests, I've had them before but last time it wasn't needed.

How long after licence expiry can I delay getting a renewal?

From the other topic it was mentioned a medical cert is not needed for a renewal, anyone confirm?

Thanks.

Has anyone renewed the license lately?  Is it open again? 

I read that you have to do training first at www.dlt-elearning.com. Do you do the training, then bring the documents and go to the dlt office for the reaction tests etc?

I have a 2 year license that expired in February, and have not been able to renew it yet. Will renew for five year both car and motorbike. 

Anyone knows? Thanks!

On 10/2/2021 at 8:03 AM, KhunAndreas said:

Has anyone renewed the license lately?  Is it open again? 

I read that you have to do training first at www.dlt-elearning.com. Do you do the training, then bring the documents and go to the dlt office for the reaction tests etc?

I have a 2 year license that expired in February, and have not been able to renew it yet. Will renew for five year both car and motorbike. 

Anyone knows? Thanks!

Yes, do the online viewing.  Office is open again.  Likely the first time you go you will be given appointment to return.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, skatewash said:

Yes, do the online viewing.  Office is open again.  Likely the first time you go you will be given appointment to return.

Okay thank you. I could not use the DLT Smart Queue with passport, so you mean I have to go there first in person to make appointment and return at a later date with the documents and make the tests? 

9 minutes ago, KhunAndreas said:

Okay thank you. I could not use the DLT Smart Queue with passport, so you mean I have to go there first in person to make appointment and return at a later date with the documents and make the tests? 

I would go there with your documents in case you can be fit in that day.  If not, you will get an appointment.  I'm not sure the online queue is working for any foreigner.  It didn't for me.

• Thanks 1

Update (if anyone else is going to renew license at DLT Phuket soon and want to know):

I was at the DLT today (when they opened) and got an appointment 22 december, so right now its around 10+ weeks that you'll have to wait until you can renew your license. 

Just prepare all the papers (+ the e-learning) and go there and they will check your paperwork, staple it together and give you a date and time when you can come back. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2021 at 2:16 PM, KhunAndreas said:

Update (if anyone else is going to renew license at DLT Phuket soon and want to know):

I was at the DLT today (when they opened) and got an appointment 22 december, so right now its around 10+ weeks that you'll have to wait until you can renew your license. 

Just prepare all the papers (+ the e-learning) and go there and they will check your paperwork, staple it together and give you a date and time when you can come back. 

I did this, and showed them the online learning test that i had passed on my phone, however on the slip they give you with the date to return (yellow colour), it says '1 hour training session'. Can anyone confirm this does not need to be done if you have already passed the online test. I am going from 2 year to 5 year.

Edited by PST

I went from a 2 year a 5 year license in Phuket a couple of weeks ago (went in Sept and got an appointment for Nov). I only had to do the reaction and color blind tests. Due to the small number of appointments given, the place was empty. I completed the process and walked out in 15 minutes with my new 5 year license. 

I had taken the online training and had the printout of completing it along with the other documents when going there to set the appointment. The lady at the front desk who reviewed the documents didn't stable it with the other documents and handed it back to me. This site and my experience suggests the video isn't needed to go from a 2 to 5 year license. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

I went from a 2 year a 5 year license in Phuket a couple of weeks ago (went in Sept and got an appointment for Nov). I only had to do the reaction and color blind tests. Due to the small number of appointments given, the place was empty. I completed the process and walked out in 15 minutes with my new 5 year license. 

I had taken the online training and had the printout of completing it along with the other documents when going there to set the appointment. The lady at the front desk who reviewed the documents didn't stable it with the other documents and handed it back to me. This site and my experience suggests the video isn't needed to go from a 2 to 5 year license. 

Thanks, i have done the same, but I showed them I'd passed the online test via a screenshot when i handed in my documents, so they didn't receive an actual copy. Can you remember if on your yellow appointment slip with the date to return it said '1 hour online training'?, as that is what it says on mine, however i have already done it.

16 hours ago, PST said:

if on your yellow appointment slip with the date to return it said '1 hour online training'?

The yellow slip did have the words training on it but I don't remember the details. I think the same yellow appointment slip is used for the 5 to 5 year renewal (in which case the online or in building video is needed) in addition to the 2 to 5 year renewal (in which case it doesn't need to be done) so that might explain why it is listed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was there this morning. Very friendly and efficient. Handed in doctor's paper, copy passport and workpermit plus original dl's. Got an appointment for 17 January and received information for online video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Was there this morning. Very friendly and efficient. Handed in doctor's paper, copy passport and workpermit plus original dl's. Got an appointment for 17 January and received information for online video.

I applied last month and got a Feb date ??? Oh well

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, stevenl said:

Do you know if you can request a later date ?

As I travel a lot it isn't curtain if I'm in Thailand on their proposed date.

Never did any DLT video or online.

Used Yellow Book / Thai ID with Longstay Visa & Med Cert & Old Licenses to convert two year license car & mc to five year in March 2021.

TIP: Produce Air Ticket for imminent travel to get immediate DLT final test / issue appointment. Cancelled my flight later same day…..

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

I had an appointment at 8 this morning. Arrived ten to, paperwork check, brake and color test, pay 760 baht, get photo taken, out at 08.30. my 90 days was due Sunday 23, so decided to go there as well. Home again in Rawai at 08.00, all done. Just a pity my next 90 days is due 16 April, so expect it to be busy right after songkran so will have to do it online.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 9:30 AM, stevenl said:

I had an appointment at 8 this morning. Arrived ten to, paperwork check, brake and color test, pay 760 baht, get photo taken, out at 08.30. my 90 days was due Sunday 23, so decided to go there as well. Home again in Rawai at 08.00, all done. Just a pity my next 90 days is due 16 April, so expect it to be busy right after songkran so will have to do it online.

You paid 255 baht to much. Did you get a privilege for fast service????

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Max Brok said:

You paid 255 baht to much. Did you get a privilege for fast service????

Really?  I'm assuming he received two 5-year licenses, one for motorcycle and one for a car.

Cost of 5-year motorcycle license:    55 baht
Cost of 5-year car license:               605 baht
Cost of printing licenses 50/each    100 baht
                                            Total:       760 baht

Sounds normal to me.  I believe that's what I paid.  Don't know the reason Phuket LTO charges 50 baht/license for printing, but they do.

Seems to agree with this article:

https://thethaiger.com/other-services/drivers-license/guides/how-to-apply-for-a-thai-driving-license/#:~:text=The Cost of Obtaining a Thai Driving License,-The cost of&text=Driving license – The fee for,the upgrade is 55 Baht.

Edited by skatewash
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Really?  I'm assuming he received two 5-year licenses, one for motorcycle and one for a car.

Total:       755 baht

Sounds normal to me.  I believe that's what I paid.  Don't know the reason Phuket LTO charges 50 baht/license for printing, but they do.

https://thethaiger.com/other-services/drivers-license/guides/how-to-apply-for-a-thai-driving-license/#:~:text=The Cost of Obtaining a Thai Driving License,-The cost of&text=Driving license – The fee for,the upgrade is 55 Baht.

Sounds about right. I did mine in Phuket in April. I paid 500 +5B fee for car, and 250 +5B for motorcycle. Just found the receipts in my drawer.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, skatewash said:

Total:       760 baht

Exactly, thanks.  Just noticed a typo in my earlier post as well, I was home at 09.00.