Refused Entry Into Thailand With COE Question

Can a person be refused entry into Thailand if they have a certificate of entry (COE) but don't have a phone capable of loading the ThailandPlus app?

At https://thailandplus.in.th/en/faq-2/

it says "The Application is compatible to smartphones that having operating system of Android, iOS and Huawei." but it is not compatible with all versions of Android. Currently the phone has android version 4.1.2. As shown the attached photo on the samsung phone, the google play store says "you don't have any devices". Also if I do go into google play store and search for it by name, it is not found.

IMG_8099.JPG

Some have posted that they were never asked to show it.  Me personally do not yet have a workable smartphone or plan, but I did buy a MOTO G7 power, 2019 just in case and at a good price.  It works with wifi right out of the box.  And I have been able to download some apps such as a compass, and a few other things.  My plan if I go to Thailand in November is to bring that phone with me.  I am debating which carrier in the USA to change to as I have to get rid of my old 3g voice and text only phone.

as for the app, I found it on the play store.  I did not download or install it.  I do not know what that no devices thing means on your phone

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This was heavily debated in the thread (posted below). 

Some ‘arrivals’ have never been asked to show the Mor Chana (Phuket) or Thailand Plus (Bkk) apps on their smart phones upon arrival - I was, upon each entry. Also at the 1st Sandbox hotel (7 nights) I had to show the Mor Chana QR code daily, at the 2nd Sandbox hotel (another 7 nights), I was not asked at all. 

My recommendation is to upgrade to a newer smartphone just to be sure and prevent things from potentially getting awkward on arrival.

What would happen if asked to show proof of Mor Chana / Thailand Plus and you can’t ??

No one really knows, I’m not sure its happened yet, but it gives some official the option to make like difficult and if that official is having a particularly bad day or just doesn’t like you, you never know what could happen. 

A few years ago I recall people getting turned around because they didn’t have 20,000 baht cash when arriving visa exempt - officials being overzealous d!<ks. 

Some will suggest I’m fearmongering, but thats not the intention here - my intention is to ensure you make an informed choice - with the CoE the  you have agreed to certain conditions of entry, one of those is to download the Apps...  with situations like this, you’ve gone to too much effort to get here, life's easier if you just comply and tick the box.....

Ok, I agree I've have done a lot to get the COE and want to avoid further complications during a "bad hair day" with one of the greeters. To minimize the cost of a new phone, I'll get the oldest and cheapest that will work with the app. I don't want another $500-$1,500 phone. In fact the phone that I have was originally $600 and the best Samsung available.

What is the lowest version of Android that is compatible with the ThailandPlus app.?

Edited by Banana7

6 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

such as a compass

Most useful. Will follow your lead  ????

Although everyone is entitled to his or her own choice, a smartphone undeniably adds a world of convenience, especially during the pandemic when banks prefer customers to do their transactions off-branch. Ordering food and essentials on a smartphone promotes social distancing.

Just got the iPhone 13 Pro Max and iPad Mini 6. Get one and you'll love it.

ZnFFOm5.thumb.jpg.3c03e2eb07ff7f8786c5b8c989d21b52.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Re mobile phone.  I have a Moto G7 and they are great.  Very cheap now as they are older version. (bought a bunch for the family) Also have Samsung  S10 5G also sort of 1/2 price as they are older models but future proofed.  This one, the 5G, has a great camera, is waterproof but has no memory expansion and my 5G phone model has only 1 sim card (some have 2)  

3 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:
9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

life's easier if you just comply and tick the box.....

Some of us are followers, and some of us aren't.....

I don't have a smart phone and have no intention of getting one. I doubt they will ask, they did not last time, and if they do and I say I don't have one, I seriously doubt they will say, Take your money and go back to America we don't need you.

I'll let you know in two weeks.....

Some want to resist anything we are asked to do by authorities, they see themselves as independent thinkers, perhaps even anarchists to challenge government conditioning.

Other people try to stick to the speed limit and avoid unnecessary hassles - this is not about conformism, this is not the thin end of the wedge of some Orwellian governmental control of the masses or some systematic erosion of our rights....

... This is just a stupid policy from an inexperienced Government treading water without any guidelines. 

We can pick our battles - this one is just simpler to comply with.

That said - I can’t imagine them turning away anyone without a smartphone (or without the App). 

However, a long time ago I have learnt that when it comes to government requirements (in Thailand) just do whats asked and do not put the ball back in their court - give them (the decision maker) the option to easily ’tick’ every box and remove any element of doubt, thats just a personal preference. 

Good luck in two weeks - I’m sure you’ll be find without a smart phone (but I’d still recommend having one).

• Like 1

I have not heard of anyone being refused entry who arrive with a valid COE and required documents. (I think I did hear of a case where a person tried to get in with forged docs and was caught).

Also have not heard of anyone being asked to show the app installed recently. I certainly was not when I arrived on 9 September.

In addition, the app appears to be no longer working, as has been discussed in recent threads.

• Thanks 1

What I can say about this is that at LAX while I was checking in with Qatar Airlines,  I was asked to show my ThailandPlus app. They also checked to see that Ihad already registered it. Also on the very bottom part of my COE it dose clearly say  ( see attachment) that you do need to download and register the app. That being said when I arrived here in Phuket the app seemed to have stopped working. A friend who came on Singapore Air was not check for his Thailand plus app. 
 For the cost of a cheap smartphone it seems that it would be somewhat ill advised to make the trip without being 100% prepared or in compliance with what is so clearly stated on the COE. As most of us all ready know when dealing with Thai immigration it’s always a good idea to be well prepared. 
good luck 

A209970D-8A42-4DC3-9F1E-F781929402E7.jpeg

• Like 2

I came back end of February. Never loaded it on my phone and was never asked anything about it. Of course, could well be different now.

Highly doubtful anyone has been or ever will be refused for such invasive nonsense, which like everything else here prob doesn't work a lick. If asked, just play ignorant and they can try to install it for you if they think it's so important. 

Edited by Skeptic7

8 hours ago, mvdf said:

Most useful. Will follow your lead  ????

Although everyone is entitled to his or her own choice, a smartphone undeniably adds a world of convenience, especially during the pandemic when banks prefer customers to do their transactions off-branch. Ordering food and essentials on a smartphone promotes social distancing.

Just got the iPhone 13 Pro Max and iPad Mini 6. Get one and you'll love it.

ZnFFOm5.thumb.jpg.3c03e2eb07ff7f8786c5b8c989d21b52.jpg

"... when banks prefer customers to do their transactions off-branch. .."

I have a GSB account, but for 10 years have been denied an Internet facility because I don't have a work permit.

Which banks are you referring to?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I have not heard of anyone being refused entry who arrive with a valid COE and required documents. (I think I did hear of a case where a person tried to get in with forged docs and was caught).

Also have not heard of anyone being asked to show the app installed recently. I certainly was not when I arrived on 9 September.

In addition, the app appears to be no longer working, as has been discussed in recent threads.

hi Sheryl, the devs have released a patched version of the Android app (v1.0.1) but it's not available on the Play Store yet. you have to download the .apk file from Google drive. further details can be found on any of the one star reviews in the Play Store

Edited by Lemsta69

I read that requirement (download the ThailandPlus app) so I did that but everytime I tried to open it it wouldn't load.  Nobody asked about it when I arrived in the Phuket sandbox deal.  It's not only your phone so don't change phones.

Forget about it, you won't need it.  What you will need is the MorChana app and they'll help you do that at the airport when you arrive (if you haven't downloaded it before then).  Meaning.....forget about that ThaillandPlus app.

Edited by CMBob
added

What is the difference between Mor Chana and Mor Prom. I have the latter installed and it works by showing my vaccination status. The other two, T Plus & Mor Chana say unavailable.

I have a Huawei Y9, 2019.

1 hour ago, TechnikaIII said:

I have a GSB account, but for 10 years have been denied an Internet facility because I don't have a work permit.

I must admit I posted hastily without considering the situational variations of some here. I apologise for that omission. I wasn't aware of the mobile banking restrictions imposed on foreigners without a work permit. Generally it has always been my understanding that when one has an account it comes with access to the bank's mobile banking app. So are you saying in your post above that you're not allowed to use their app? If yes, that's a disgrace indeed. I have apps for all banks I have accounts with. If they were to deny me access to their app, the account would be closed within the hour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mvdf said:

I must admit I posted hastily without considering the situational variations of some here. I apologise for that omission. I wasn't aware of the mobile banking restrictions imposed on foreigners without a work permit. Generally it has always been my understanding that when one has an account it comes with access to the bank's mobile banking app. So are you saying in your post above that you're not allowed to use their app? If yes, that's a disgrace indeed. I have apps for all banks I have accounts with. If they were to deny me access to their app, the account would be closed within the hour.

Many, many of us (me included) have mobile banking without a work permit. It is not a requirement.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, notrub said:

Re mobile phone.  I have a Moto G7 and they are great.  Very cheap now as they are older version. (bought a bunch for the family) Also have Samsung  S10 5G also sort of 1/2 price as they are older models but future proofed.  This one, the 5G, has a great camera, is waterproof but has no memory expansion and my 5G phone model has only 1 sim card (some have 2)  

I have the Moto G7 Power - the Thailand Plus app downloaded and is sitting there in my app list but will not open!

I am using Oppo Android phone and able to download the ThailandPlus apps but not able to open the apps. I even delete and re download, still not able to open. Does anyone have this issue. Will be flying to BKK early October and need to get the apps fix. Any advise will be appreciated.

3 hours ago, mvdf said:

I have accounts with KTB and Bkk and it was no more than a formality to get debit cards and internet banking, no work permit thank goodness

16 hours ago, notrub said:

yes. The thing is bigger than I wanted for carrying purposes, but frankly the big screen makes it easier to see things, to type, etc.

17 hours ago, CMBob said:

I read that requirement (download the ThailandPlus app) so I did that but everytime I tried to open it it wouldn't load.  Nobody asked about it when I arrived in the Phuket sandbox deal.  It's not only your phone so don't change phones.

Forget about it, you won't need it.  What you will need is the MorChana app and they'll help you do that at the airport when you arrive (if you haven't downloaded it before then).  Meaning.....forget about that ThaillandPlus app.

Mor Chana is required in Phuket and doing Sandbox.

Thailand Plus is required flying into Bangkok and doing ASQ. 

Sometimes people are checked, sometimes they are not (I was asked to show the apps entering 3x).

18 hours ago, TechnikaIII said:

Bangkok Bank & SCB - Both with Internet Banking and mBanking - No work permit. 

In fact, I’d never heard of such a requirement (work permit required for Internet Banking) before, I suspect thats a misinterpretation by someone working in the bank. 

Could it be a specific idiosyncrasy of GSB (Government Savings Bank).

I’d recommend going back to the branch or a different branch and telling them you want Internet and mobile Banking. OR, change banks....  there is no need to tolerate this unless it really doesn’t bother you. 

• Thanks 1