Refused Entry Into Thailand With COE Question

On 10/1/2021 at 2:21 AM, HeijoshinCool said:

don't have a smart phone and have no intention of getting one.

Must admit, 10 years ago I was one of those; off-grid, bucking the trend types viewing ‘the haves’ with disdain and suspicion. Luckily, I woke up and got with it, having realised that life is easier and that I can do practically anything (banking, trading, paying bills, ordering passports/licenses, buying groceries, reading books, making videos, sending emails, quickly contacting family etc etc etc etc). All of that orrrrr NONE of that, up to you. But I do get the fear of the unknown angle, to which the older generations tend to struggle somewhat. ????

Do yourself a favour, old bean. ????

• Like 1

I think that display "You don't have any devices" is referring to the fact that you have not activated Blue Tooth or are not connected to any other Blue Tooth devices.  I think the app tries to ping and communicate with other devices near it that use Blue Tooth.  That is how it tries to track who, what and where.  That should not affect downloading the app. 

On 9/30/2021 at 3:28 PM, gk10012001 said:

Some have posted that they were never asked to show it.  Me personally do not yet have a workable smartphone or plan, but I did buy a MOTO G7 power, 2019 just in case and at a good price.  It works with wifi right out of the box.  And I have been able to download some apps such as a compass, and a few other things.  My plan if I go to Thailand in November is to bring that phone with me.  I am debating which carrier in the USA to change to as I have to get rid of my old 3g voice and text only phone.

as for the app, I found it on the play store.  I did not download or install it.  I do not know what that no devices thing means on your phone

Yea i was never asked to show it either,

although for my asq quarantine i was asked to download an app to do daily updates of my temperature

Edited by dj230

3 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Fear of the unknown? 

Not at all. I am highly proficient with computers and smart phones. Just have little use for them now that I am retired. My laptop is sufficient for banking and emails.

My life is far more peaceful and relaxed without the constant input of TV, music, text messages, updates and all the other <deleted> that comes with being "Smart," Old Bean....

But thanks for the advice.

Fair play ????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dj230 said:

Yea i was never asked to show it either,

although for my asq quarantine i was asked to download an app to do daily updates of my temperature

Yes I heard that some hotels had apps for updates, or to order or select menu/food choices etc.   No idea what would happen if a person did not have internet or smart phone.  On all my past holidays in Thailand, I never stayed more than two months (Visa exempt and then 30 day extension).  I never brought my laptop,  I would occasionally use the hotel comupter or an internet cafe for some routine emails and what not.   As long as the hotel has wifi, my Smartphone for which I have not switched a number to nor got a sim card for or bought any plan for, does support wifi right out of the box so I plan to bring that.  I still have a 3g voice and text only phone which will go away soon and I am still deciding on what kind of plan I want here in the USA or what will work if I travel. 

When one lands in BKK is WIFI available?  If so how do you connect or log in to it?  Is it open or does one have to register when connecting to it

On 10/2/2021 at 3:04 PM, gk10012001 said:

I think that display "You don't have any devices" is referring to the fact that you have not activated Blue Tooth or are not connected to any other Blue Tooth devices. 

It's not.  It's referring to devices the poster uses that are connected to his Google acccount.  For example I have old, no longer used phones listed as devices there as well as my current one.  For some reason Google thinks his phone is not compatible.

OP.  A long shot, but are you logged in to your google account when you get the "no devices" message?

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 5:32 AM, Gary G said:

What I can say about this is that at LAX while I was checking in with Qatar Airlines,  I was asked to show my ThailandPlus app. They also checked to see that Ihad already registered it. Also on the very bottom part of my COE it dose clearly say  ( see attachment) that you do need to download and register the app. That being said when I arrived here in Phuket the app seemed to have stopped working. A friend who came on Singapore Air was not check for his Thailand plus app. 
 For the cost of a cheap smartphone it seems that it would be somewhat ill advised to make the trip without being 100% prepared or in compliance with what is so clearly stated on the COE. As most of us all ready know when dealing with Thai immigration it’s always a good idea to be well prepared. 
good luck 

A209970D-8A42-4DC3-9F1E-F781929402E7.jpeg

My COE, issued at the Thai Embassy in Ottawa Canada in late September states:

Remarks :

1. Before travelling to Thailand, all travellers must download the ThailandPlus application and register by using COE number and reference code.

2. The Communicable Disease Control Officer at International Port Health Office of Thailand has the authority to decide on the final quarantine period.

3. Note to airlines - flight changes (due to flight delay or cancellation ONLY) are permitted within 72 hours from the original flight time without the need to issue a new Certificate of Entry, provided that all other required documents are still valid.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

It's not.  It's referring to devices the poster uses that are connected to his Google acccount.  For example I have old, no longer used phones listed as devices there as well as my current one.  For some reason Google thinks his phone is not compatible.

OP.  A long shot, but are you logged in to your google account when you get the "no devices" message?

I believe I am logged in when trying to download after doing a browser search for the name ThailandPlus. I get the same result if use my computer. I also go to the play store and search for the app using both a partial name and the full name, but the app does not return in the search results. Since I can go into the play store, it offers me to download apps, I must be logged in?

Add to that list: Krungthai and Kasikorn banks.  They will require a retirement visa or (?) but internet banking is arranged when you open your account.  Bangkok bank has a foreign account service at head office in BKK.  I keep an account there in Euros. If you want to take your money out of Thailand you can easily with this account. It is recognized as money on deposit in Thailand for immigration financial qualifying purposes.  For internet transfers select 'share' on the confirmation screen and post it on LINE  to yourself (memo) and the receiver and anyone else you want to notify of the payment (multiple postings poss.) .  Works a treat.

On 10/9/2021 at 2:56 PM, wanderingengine said:

I've yet to hear of anybody actually getting these apps to work. I think that the app opening and crashing is the rule, not the exception.

17 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

Just got my COE, downloaded Thailand Plus App on my Samsung S7, doesn't work either.

You need version 1.0.1 of the Thailand Plus Android app to get rid of the crash when opening.  There are a couple of links floating around showing how to get it while the Play Store is still offering 1.0.0.  Look in the replies to low ratings on the Play Store.

• Thanks 1

FINAL REPORT:

Came into Swampy with 26 other people on my flight. I was last in line and watched all go through the process.

Much faster than a year ago. More Thai staff than passengers. Most shuffled around while the four officials checking paperwork shuffled papers, made a show of how much effort it took, and went stamp, stamp, stamp, handed back the papers and pointed to the left.

Not a word spoken for the most part. No one within my earshot was asked if they had a phone, let alone the app. And no, no one was refused entry for not having one.

Only person that asked me about the app was the agent at the ticket counter in Los Angeles checking all the requirements for entry. She showed me a QR code and asked if I'd downloaded the app.

I said nope.

She shrugged and and handed me my boarding passes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

FINAL REPORT:

Came into Swampy with 26 other people on my flight. I was last in line and watched all go through the process.

Much faster than a year ago. More Thai staff than passengers. Most shuffled around while the four officials checking paperwork shuffled papers, made a show of how much effort it took, and went stamp, stamp, stamp, handed back the papers and pointed to the left.

Not a word spoken for the most part. No one within my earshot was asked if they had a phone, let alone the app. And no, no one was refused entry for not having one.

Only person that asked me about the app was the agent at the ticket counter in Los Angeles checking all the requirements for entry. She showed me a QR code and asked if I'd downloaded the app.

I said nope.

She shrugged and and handed me my boarding passes.

Which airline did you fly with?

Just now, Banana7 said:

Which airline did you fly with?

ANA.

Great experience. Took wonderful care of my puppy, and I had 9 cardboard boxes, 70 pounds each, that looked exactly the same on arrival as departure.

One flight attendant actually sat down beside me and talked with me about my dog, for the better part of 10 minutes. She had seen my pup at the ticket counter.

I feel bad for ANA. Garbage airlines like United and American seem to be back in business with their crappy service and crazed customers, but ANA has no passengers. 26 on my flight on a 777.

Haneda was like something out of a Stephen King movie....just deserted.