is there a risk of (western-style) child support?

BananaBandit

3 minutes ago, connda said:

If the wife and child are Thais living in Thailand, then no court will accept a child-support plead as the US Court has absolutely no jurisdiction.  It's like me going to a Thai court while living in the US to plead a child support case in the US.  The Thai court would nave no jurisdiction.  
Perhaps if your wife has access to a Thai lawyer with connections she may be able to make life difficult for you. 

Citizenship and Residency

1. Do I need to be a U.S. citizen to request help from the U.S. child support program?

Citizenship is not required for a person to apply for child support services.

2. Do I need to live in the U.S. to request help from the U.S. child support program?

Residency is not required for a person to apply for child support services. However, if you live outside the U.S., state law in the U.S. state you apply to will determine the help that the state can provide. (See FAQs under When the Custodial Parent Lives Outside the U.S.)

• Like 2

You are worried about child support and think Thailand is cheap for a child? You are about to be in for a shock, your least worry is child support and instead should be with education cost alone. And if you wanna be cheap on your own child, refrain from taking one in the first place.

A child here will easily cost you 600 USD monthly if doing things a bit proper on the mid end. That is still excluding all other things as smartphones, sports, holidays and more (or university).

Buying diapers and milk etc smart on bulk via Lazada is easily 5000 baht alone already, then the regular hospital visits and vaccines etc kick in 2500-5000 baht a time too, then clothes, baby material itself and school did not even start at this stage. A bit better than public schools: 15K a month too excluding transport, food, clothes and everything else. And this is the cheap mid end.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Something about Thais and why they don't pursue their wayward husbands for support.

My partner raised 2 for many years before I came along.

Didn't want to know about hitting the butterfly up for his required by law contributions.

factor in the potential risk of being shot or stabbed to death by angry drunk ex-lover......not ready to lose face....

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Buying diapers and milk etc smart on bulk via Lazada is easily 5000 baht alone already, then the regular hospital visits and vaccines etc kick in 2500-5000 baht a time too, then clothes, baby material itself and school did not even start at this stage. A bit better than public schools: 15K a month too excluding transport, food, clothes and everything else. And this is the cheap mid end.

Hospital is free for Thai citizens, my kid has had very good treatment from the government hospital.

Vaccines also free, government school cost me a little, about 5k/term x2/year.

But my kids have cost surprisingly little.

But I don't have a problem with the OP not wanting to pay Western child support.

I've always been happy to pay for kids that live with me (mine or not).

But I refuse to give money to single moms outside my household.

Let the guy they're living with provide the money.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

I hope you at least register the child with the US Embassy so that in the case of your death the child can collect survivors benefits and be issued a US Passport so he can visit or live inn the US and have better job opurtunities.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dddave said:

Want to know Thailand's child support system?  Just picture Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza, Bangla Rd, Walking Street, ect during normal times.

Here is the draft of a law I have been proposing to foundations but obviously in Thailand it goes in one ear and out the other. What you are referring to is the reason Thailand is at the bottom of surveys. Thailand men enslave  and have no respect for women, it's as simple as that. Stop worrying about fishing boats and focus on women in Isaan who have to become bargirls. Do something about that wretch at Nightwish who is a slave trader. Thailand has very bad country Karma. Why do all the Thai women I meet say they will never marry another Thai man. Thank you, somebody try to get this passed.

image.png.273b13bd0aa7d4dfb075c65160e0574b.png

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, dddave said:

Want to know Thailand's child support system?  Just picture Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza, Bangla Rd, Walking Street, ect during normal times.

This is only true of course with the lower classes who can’t get blood from a stone . My BIL got took to the cleaners he had to give his ex land and 25% of his income . 

28 minutes ago, ronjomtien said:

What you are referring to is the reason Thailand is at the bottom of surveys. Thailand men enslave  and have no respect for women,

On the other hand,

Western countries enslave and have no respect for (middle class white) men.

Which is why most of us moved here.

If you don't like the way things are done in Thailand, why not move somewhere where the laws are more to your liking?

• Like 2

Is that your child? Yes? Then pay up. That child had no choice, you did. Don't wreck the child's and the mother's life just because you didn't want to wear a condom or be a father. Do the world a favor, get a vasectomy now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ronjomtien said:

Here is the draft of a law I have been proposing to foundations but obviously in Thailand it goes in one ear and out the other. What you are referring to is the reason Thailand is at the bottom of surveys. Thailand men enslave  and have no respect for women, it's as simple as that. Stop worrying about fishing boats and focus on women in Isaan who have to become bargirls. Do something about that wretch at Nightwish who is a slave trader. Thailand has very bad country Karma. Why do all the Thai women I meet say they will never marry another Thai man. Thank you, somebody try to get this passed.

image.png.273b13bd0aa7d4dfb075c65160e0574b.png

You might be surprised to learn that a lot of SE Asian woman love the idea of a mixed race child and don't stress out too much if the father disappears.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

You might be surprised to learn that a lot of SE Asian woman love the idea of a mixed race child and don't stress out too much if the father disappears.

That's for the kid's street value in begging and prostitution. No Isaan woman swells with pride at the sight of her half-farang child she hasn't the means to feed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

On the other hand,

Western countries enslave and have no respect for (middle class white) men.

Which is why most of us moved here.

If you don't like the way things are done in Thailand, why not move somewhere where the laws are more to your liking?

Preach.

1 hour ago, bbko said:

Is that your child? Yes? Then pay up. That child had no choice, you did. Don't wreck the child's and the mother's life just because you didn't want to wear a condom or be a father. Do the world a favor, get a vasectomy now.

It's one thing to provide for your child's support. 

It's another thing to be saddled with "western style" child support so that the mother can afford to drink, carouse, wear expensive watches and have the latest I-Phone, while the kid eats rama noodles and lives with the grandparents (who see none of that money).

The OP asks a reasonable question.   The most secure job available to a lot of local women is "mother of some foreigner's kid".  Condoms can be pinholed and pills can be misused.    Personally, I'd also recommend a vasectomy, then there's no worry.   (No need to sweat any paternity test, either)

But that's not a judgment of his fitness to be a parent or a husband.  Just an acknowledgement that he wouldn't be the first guy caught in a child support trap by a woman who wants an 18 year long parting gift from the marriage.  And not just in Thailand.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Try and forgive me if this post is overly-paranoid. 

I'll try.

If I (a U.S. national living in Thailand and hoping never to return to my homeland) were to have a baby with my Thai wife, does that potentially put me at risk of having to pay U.S.-caliber child support?

Don't know if "U.S.-caliber" but you fathered a child, there should be no discussion in that you should take care of your child. Period. Why would you think otherwise?

I believe the going rate for Thai child support is like 100 baht per day or something.  Fine by me. Glad to help out.  So, if that's the worst that could happen, then I couldn't care less.

You're not buying cattle. You're talking about raiding a child. 100 baht per day ($3 USD) or ain't squat to take care of a kid. If you're that worried about it, then get snipped, cover your crotch rocket, or abstain from sleeping with anything with ovaries.

But I do NOT want to face the risk (in the event the marriage dissolves) of having to go back to the U.S. and get a real job to pay a serious monthly sum to support my kid in Thailand. 

If the marriage dissolves (and you're on a marriage visa) then you either convert it into a visa which allows you to stay or you must leave the country. Being that you think 100 baht is good to take care of a kid, I don't see you meeting the other financial requirements.

Also, what about the prospect that the marriage dissolves, and then she (if feeling highly vindictive) uses the kid (who, I believe, would technically be an American citizen) as some sort of anchor-baby to get into the U.S., thereby forcing me to return to that place and work to support it (and her)?  Does this type of mess happen?

Okay, I ready this whole thing. Is this a joke? Seriously? IMO it's this kind of mentality that leads to a lot of kids being born with fathers absent from their lives. Do yourself a favor now and don't even think about procreating. It would be better for everyone.

7 minutes ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

As a Black man I am laughing my ass off at this ludicrous statement.

Meaning you couldn't get a seat at the table of your own culture, so we went to a place where there were fewer folks at those tables.

Out of curiosity, I am intrigued to know what lack of respect and enslavement have you faced as a (middle class white) man in Western culture? 

Hey, top respect for this post. Btw, I became fully aware after my first divorce at the tender age of 27 that my days with the ladies were numbered. I was wrong, but it became increasingly easy to find a mate in Thailand instead of "back home". I treated Thailand like looking for a job. If you lack at any particular skill you go to a place where job prerequisites (standards) are a bit lower. Absolutely nothing wrong with uk, us or Canada, but Thailand is much easier to find a lady due to Chinese style leftover women once they reach certain age. I truly found a soulmate in Thailand that I wouldn't be able to find back home. I win here, but in Canada I'd be a lonely man. No need to bash your country back home because you're inadequate and unwanted. Some people lived here so long and invested everything in Thailand that they completely lost the plot how great their respective countries are back home. I travelled back every year and my country never went backwards like Thailand did. It's a great place for both men and women.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

Hey, top respect for this post. Btw, I became fully aware after my first divorce at the tender age of 27 that my days with the ladies were numbered. I was wrong, but it became increasingly easy to find a mate in Thailand instead of "back home". I treated Thailand like looking for a job. If you lack at any particular skill you go to a place where job prerequisites (standards) are a bit lower. Absolutely nothing wrong with uk, us or Canada, but Thailand is much easier to find a lady due to Chinese style leftover women once they reach certain age. I truly found a soulmate in Thailand that I wouldn't be able to find back home. I win here, but in Canada I'd be a lonely man. No need to bash your country back home because you're inadequate and unwanted. Some people lived here so long and invested everything in Thailand that they completely lost the plot how great their respective countries are back home. I travelled back every year and my country never went backwards like Thailand did. It's a great place for both men and women.

I understand that. Hey there must be something about the age of 27, because that's when I got divorced too. I get the analogy. I think what makes Thailand, and SEA attractive from a lot of perspectives is that people are more inclined to what to know about who you are versus what you have. Yeah, you have your gold diggers everywhere, but I found about Eastern culture is that you're more inclined to meet someone who cares more about the sum of everything about you versus focusing in on 1-2 things that are the most appealing. And no, neither you, nor anyone else is inadequate. I believe what you found in an atmosphere where people can get to know you and not necessarily your status. I respect that. Without a doubt.

You may have to support the kid and her.

As far as WWM ( White western male) it seems they are considered the bottom of the barrel.  Wokeness and Me-too all created by the bad White man.  Just sperm donors controlled and manipulated by females and liberal politicians.  Work, work, work get divorced and pay a minimum of 1/2 of everything much more with kids.

The U.S. has Black history month, Hispanic history month, women recognition month, breast cancer month etc.   Ever see any recognition for White males or Prostate cancer?

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

As a Black man I am laughing my ass off at this ludicrous statement.

You sound more like the reincarnation of a former poster (I had on ignore) to me.

And you claim you don't even live in Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo

11 minutes ago, ronjomtien said:

No you moved here because no British women would

give you the time of day.

I never had any problem getting women in the UK, my last UK gf was 23 and I was 52.

I also had a 60yo gf at the same time, I really enjoyed Sunday dinner with her family at her house.

But they were generally 4s or 5s and I always wanted 8/9/10s.

I left the UK to avoid paying 15 years child support.

Edited by BritManToo