Thailand to come off UK red list?

MRToMRT

58 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the AZ vaccine, produced in Thailand,  have to go through QC checks in UK prior to release for use in Thailand?

don't think the checks included 1/5 doses jabbed into the skin instead.......

• Like 1

I would suspect that Africa, and a few other countries that were either at war, or have no stable government

that have not been getting their population vaccinated, like Afghanistan etc. will still be on a red list.

Guess we will have to see the new list to know.

Geezer

13 hours ago, overherebc said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the AZ vaccine, produced in Thailand,  have to go through QC checks in UK prior to release for use in Thailand?

It's not the vaccine brand, it's where it was ADMINISTERED. Pfizer administered in Thailand is not approved by MHRA in UK.

28 minutes ago, samtam said:

It's not the vaccine brand

As an added complication (although I personally don't know if it has anything to do with the UK stance but I suspect so) Thai AZ has still not been approved by the WHO which complicates the issue. It has now been submitted for approval by AZ, which is better than the situation we were in last month. AZ dropped the ball here, they have only submitted it for approval in September. The latest from WHO which was updated a few days ago......

https://extranet.who.int/pqweb/sites/default/files/documents/Status_COVID_VAX_29Sept2021_0.pdf

(Thailand has been added with a "to be confirmed" notation since the last update at the end of August, so presumably will get the OK any day)

Edited by MRToMRT
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, superal said:

As per title , it would seem that Thailand is to stay on the red list for the UK despite the massive vaccination of its Thai population .Also fully vaccinated UK nationals will still have to quarantine in a UK hotel at a cost exceeding £2000 when returning to the UK . On the other hand Pakistan & Bangladesh will go on the green list even though they have only vaccinated 20% of their population with a double jab using amongst others sinovac and sinopharm vaccines .  

This update begins tomorrow 04/October 2021 at 4 00 am.

Have to say that the UK government guidance is not an easy read and there is no reasoning made on its green/red listings decisions that I can find .

Maybe it's time for a coup by the UK soldiers to get the government removed. (sarcasm)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Yes...seems very odd. Isolate in a household that doesn't isolate ????

Indeed. "self-isolate" which is allowed by staying with your family or friends amounts to what? It relies on the individual observing self-isolation, but there is no monitoring, obviously. I think there are people who would do the right thing, for their own and their family's or their friends' best interests, but there are of course those who would not. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 9:04 AM, beano2274 said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-system-for-international-travel

link to the latest news, Thailand will remain Red and all vaccines done in Thailand are not recognised, check the link on the 4th then you will see the updates

This is old news from 17 Sept. Implementation was today 4 October. There is a possible Red list review this week when the government link will be updated.

51 minutes ago, jimn said:

This is old news from 17 Sept. Implementation was today 4 October. There is a possible Red list review this week when the government link will be updated.

The UK press are speculating the red list will be cut from 54 countries to 9..... speculating being the operative word.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

The UK press are speculating the red list will be cut from 54 countries to 9..... speculating being the operative word.

Not speculating.  That all the papers are saying the same thing, 9 is not a random number, is a clear sign that this has been deliberately leaked by the UK government.

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

Not speculating.  That all the papers are saying the same thing, 9 is not a random number, is a clear sign that this has been deliberately leaked by the UK government.

At the last review they all speculated that Thailand would be taken off the red list. Speculation ended when it wasn’t removed. There have been numerous other times when the press were wrong, so I disagree with you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jimn said:

that is just a link to inform readers where to look and not use the Guardian or Telegraph websites

I wrote to AstraZeneca to inquire why and when AZ administered in Thailand might be approved by the UK agency MHRA.

This is the response I received, which states they are requesting WHO recognition. It is not clear whether this is the issue preventing MHRA from recognition, as they do not recognise ANY vaccine administered in Thailand.

Screenshot (356)_LI.jpg

Edited by samtam
  • Like 1

I wrote to AstraZeneca to inquire why and when AZ administered in Thailand might be approved by the UK agency MHRA.

This is the response I received, which states they are requesting WHO recognition. It is not clear whether this is the issue preventing MHRA from recognition, as they do not recognise ANY vaccine administered in Thailand.

Perhaps one could conclude that the issue is that of the Thai government not asking MHRA to approve all vaccines administered in Thailand.

423596861_Screenshot(356)_LI.jpg.657904297cfcf5393b8b40ab5a43a7b6.jpg

• Like 1

Not confirmed officially yet, but the news I'm seeing is that Thailand will still be on the red list tomorrow, not removed. I'll await the update of the official gov.uk site.

Edited by Tuvoc

Ah well, we lived in hope. 

Saying that the article is NOT about the red list. There could still be a red list announcement today (as the BBC says in its article on this change of FCO advice) but the fact that FCO advice on Thailand mentions COVID makes dropping from the red list seem more far less likely than it could have been before.

Edited by MRToMRT
  • Like 1