Thailand to come off UK red list?

MRToMRT

24 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Even if it happens, there's still the issue of the government's not accepting the validity of all vaccinations carried out here, so still 10 days quarantine, just not in an expensive, crappy airport hotel.

Agreed but with test and release it makes a 5 day stay at home or a relatives house seem much more doable than the current methodology. 

UK Gov site ....

"Passengers who aren’t recognised as being fully vaccinated with authorised vaccines and certificates under England’s international travel rules, will still have to take a pre-departure test, a day 2 and day 8 PCR test and self-isolate for 10 days upon their return from a non-red list country under the new two-tiered travel programme. Test to Release will remain an option for unvaccinated passengers who wish to shorten their isolation period.

From late October, we will also be making changes to allow passengers who change flights or international trains during their journey to follow the measures associated to their country of departure, rather than any countries they have transited through as part of their journey."

Edited by MRToMRT
  • Like 1

I think it’s wishful thinking but even if it does remove Thailand from the red list the AZ vaccine being administered in Thailand is not recognised and although I have had the two jabs I would have to go into quarantine for 14 days at my own expense so it looks like no visits to the U.K. until all the restrictions are removed 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Oxx said:

Even if it happens, there's still the issue of the government's not accepting the validity of all vaccinations carried out here, so still 10 days quarantine, just not in an expensive, crappy airport hotel.

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

I think it’s wishful thinking but even if it does remove Thailand from the red list the AZ vaccine being administered in Thailand is not recognised and although I have had the two jabs I would have to go into quarantine for 14 days at my own expense so it looks like no visits to the U.K. until all the restrictions are removed 

10 days self-isolation, which can be staying with your family, or with a friend, as far as I understand it.

5 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Agreed but with test and release it makes a 5 day stay at home or a relatives house seem much more doable than the current methodology. 

UK Gov site ....

"Passengers who aren’t recognised as being fully vaccinated with authorised vaccines and certificates under England’s international travel rules, will still have to take a pre-departure test, a day 2 and day 8 PCR test and self-isolate for 10 days upon their return from a non-red list country under the new two-tiered travel programme. Test to Release will remain an option for unvaccinated passengers who wish to shorten their isolation period.

From late October, we will also be making changes to allow passengers who change flights or international trains during their journey to follow the measures associated to their country of departure, rather than any countries they have transited through as part of their journey."

....as detailed here by MRToMRT. It's an inconvenience, and one MHRA needs to justify, (why they will not recognise any vaccine administered in Thailand, and other countries), but it is far less onerous than ASQ or DHQ or any of the incarceration facilities on offer in other parts of the world, (including Thailand).

• Like 1

As per title , it would seem that Thailand is to stay on the red list for the UK despite the massive vaccination of its Thai population .Also fully vaccinated UK nationals will still have to quarantine in a UK hotel at a cost exceeding £2000 when returning to the UK . On the other hand Pakistan & Bangladesh will go on the green list even though they have only vaccinated 20% of their population with a double jab using amongst others sinovac and sinopharm vaccines .  

This update begins tomorrow 04/October 2021 at 4 00 am.

Have to say that the UK government guidance is not an easy read and there is no reasoning made on its green/red listings decisions that I can find .

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

UK news outlets are saying that there will be an announcement this Thursday 7 October by PM office, reducing the red list from 54 countries to just 9. 

Australian government has just recognised sinovac and the Indian covishield vaccines.

I suspect it's in time for enrolments for the new school year, because so many Overseas university students come from China and India.!

Thus based on economics, not vaccinate rates or effectiveness.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

UK news outlets are saying that there will be an announcement this Thursday 7 October by PM office, reducing the red list from 54 countries to just 9. 

Which news outlets are saying that ?

I have read U.K news reports that there will be no more regular changes to the red/Amber/Green  list and that Countries will only change colour if something drastic happened and so there isnt going to be any announcement on October 7 th 

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Which news outlets are saying that ?

I have read U.K news reports that there will be no more regular changes to the red/Amber/Green  list and that Countries will only change colour if something drastic happened and so there isnt going to be any announcement on October 7 th 

Sunday Telegraph;

image.png.172c025e05cb82eff23d05f77fe5c400.png

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, it would need to be in a 2300 GBP quarantine hotel for ten days

Just to be clear, I was referring to when Thailand comes off the Red List. I thought that was what the OP was about, but perhaps I've misunderstood the headline. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, superal said:

As per title , it would seem that Thailand is to stay on the red list for the UK despite the massive vaccination of its Thai population .Also fully vaccinated UK nationals will still have to quarantine in a UK hotel at a cost exceeding £2000 when returning to the UK . On the other hand Pakistan & Bangladesh will go on the green list even though they have only vaccinated 20% of their population with a double jab using amongst others sinovac and sinopharm vaccines .  

This update begins tomorrow 04/October 2021 at 4 00 am.

Have to say that the UK government guidance is not an easy read and there is no reasoning made on its green/red listings decisions that I can find .

Has the List been published yet? Can you give the link please.

7 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Revision/review is due 7th Oct (every third Thursday)

A travel website posted this yesterday 

"Changes have tended to come into effect at 4am four days after the review, giving people time to get home from a country where rules are changing if required.

However, the major announcement on 17 September looks set to be the final such review for the foreseeable future, with the three-week window being scrapped for now.

Future announcements and changes to the category lists are only expected to occur if new Covid variants of concern are identified which necessitate re-assessment of the restrictions."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

A travel website posted this yesterday 

"Changes have tended to come into effect at 4am four days after the review, giving people time to get home from a country where rules are changing if required.

However, the major announcement on 17 September looks set to be the final such review for the foreseeable future, with the three-week window being scrapped for now.

Future announcements and changes to the category lists are only expected to occur if new Covid variants of concern are identified which necessitate re-assessment of the restrictions."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/travel-covid-red-list-b1931308.html

The UK’s travel red list is to be shrunk significantly to as few as nine countries within days, according to reports.

There are currently 54 nations on the list, which enforces strict quarantine rules and huge fees on travellers from regions deemed the highest Covid risk.

From Tuesday, the UK’s current green, amber and red categories will be streamlined to just two lists: red and Rest of World (ROW.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, millymoopoo said:

Australian government has just recognised sinovac and the Indian covishield vaccines.

I suspect it's in time for enrolments for the new school year, because so many Overseas university students come from China and India.!

Thus based on economics, not vaccinate rates or effectiveness.

True, I read that Aus universities are suffering financially as the majority of their students are overseas Chinese.

And the same is happening to International Schools here in Thailand with classes being merged together because of lower pupil numbers and so teachers and other staff being made redundant.

15 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/travel-covid-red-list-b1931308.html

The UK’s travel red list is to be shrunk significantly to as few as nine countries within days, according to reports.

There are currently 54 nations on the list, which enforces strict quarantine rules and huge fees on travellers from regions deemed the highest Covid risk.

From Tuesday, the UK’s current green, amber and red categories will be streamlined to just two lists: red and Rest of World (ROW.)

"UK’s Covid travel red list ‘to be slashed from 54 to 9 countries’ | The Independent" https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/travel-covid-red-list-b1931308.html?amp

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crazykopite said:

If you do decide to go make sure you take some food and petrol with you. And if you happen to have an HGV  licence you can get a peerage and a PPE contract thrown in, that is assuming you’ve made a hefty donation to the ruling class... ooops I mean Party.

6 minutes ago, beano2274 said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-system-for-international-travel

link to the latest news, Thailand will remain Red and all vaccines done in Thailand are not recognised, check the link on the 4th then you will see the updates

Thank you...that is the ONLY source worth relying on...not any media outlet whether quoted in this thread or not

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Which news outlets are saying that

Telegraph and Guardian, I read in. They are not saying Thailand will come off the list just the RED list will be reduced to just 9 countries.

Edited by MRToMRT

5 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Telegraph and Guardian, I read in.

Ignore them all whether they're saying what you hope for or the opposite! As I said above, believe only the official Govt link as posted by @beano2274 

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, beano2274 said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-system-for-international-travel

link to the latest news, Thailand will remain Red and all vaccines done in Thailand are not recognised, check the link on the 4th then you will see the updates

The (likely) continued Red List designation is not a surprise. What is a continuing fly in the ointment is that MHRA is still not intending to recognise any vaccines administered in Thailand. There appears no way of knowing definitely why this remains the position.

It is not really an issue that affects the Thai government; they want UK vaccinated Brits to come to Thailand. Again, if British Nationals want this addressed, they should sign the petition:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/594456

The low numbers of signatories (<5000) would suggest that it's not really that important an issue at present.