Where can I purchase insurance while IN Thailand?

racinkc1

Any recommendations as to where I can purchase $100,000 covid insurance while INSIDE of Thailand? I am getting a GEO BLUE policy for 6 months but I can only renew it if I am in the US!!! 

PS: I love covid, this is so much fun.....

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, racinkc1 said:

Any recommendations as to where I can purchase $100,000 covid insurance while INSIDE of Thailand?

Maybe a silly question but what do you need it for? (Not insurance in general, the fact you mention $100,000 suggests you're talking about the insurance required to enter Thailand.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Maybe a silly question but what do you need it for? (Not insurance in general, the fact you mention $100,000 suggests you're talking about the insurance required to enter Thailand.)

I would personally like to carry it because it is a requirement "for the duration of your stay" (in Thailand). It's also very affordable, or at least GEO BLUE is... Or is there something I am missing???

3 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Some non-Thai health or travel insurance policies will not cover the government-mandated hospitalization of asymptomatic or mild cases that a positive Covid test will attract here in Thailand. Foreign policies usually only cover medically necessary treatment and will not pay for what is essentially a Thai public health mandate. Be sure to ask about this if you pursue non-Thai coverage and want to cover this risk.

Im really not worried about potentially testing positive while being asymptomatic and heres why: First, Im fully vaccinated, so the general likely hood of me contracting it is slim. The only possibility is contracting it on the flight and then testing positive at HKT.... Second, theres no reason I will get tested again after the Sandbox, unless I voluntarily test myself. So, in the case that I voluntarily get tested, it will be because I was showing symptoms, and therefor wont be asymptomatic. The insurance is just because it's required and I dont want to break the law. The likelihood of me using it is is null. I mean, how else might I encounter a mandatory test after the Sandbox? 

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

No problem. In 6 months, I suspect Covid will be just a background problem, if that.

However if you do feel that you'll need it, https://www.roojai.com/en/ will be happy to oblige.

Thank you for this. It's just another resource I will look into. Im covered for the first 6 months so I have plenty of time to research. 

6 hours ago, Kevinphall said:

You definitely can that’s one of their USPs they are geared towards digital nomads etc

Purchasing in Thailand may in fact be possible.  But, is it a requirement to have in order to enter the country?  If your 'other' insurance is not recognized/accepted by the Thai authorities you could be turned around at the airport on arrival. 

4 hours ago, StevieAus said:
23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

No problem. In 6 months, I suspect Covid will be just a background problem, if that.

4 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I like your optimism but I think Covid will be here for a long time the new Flu.

Thank you for complement. Do note that I said:  ''I suspect Covid will be just a background problem''.

Like flu for instance. ????

22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Thank you for complement. Do note that I said:  ''I suspect Covid will be just a background problem''.

Like flu for instance. ????

Yes I did note your words and my crystal ball is probably no better than yours !

• Haha 1

On 10/5/2021 at 11:56 AM, racinkc1 said:

I would personally like to carry it because it is a requirement "for the duration of your stay" (in Thailand). It's also very affordable, or at least GEO BLUE is... Or is there something I am missing???

It's only required for the period of your initial entry e.g. if someone turns up on visa exempt with the intention to convert to Non-O and get a 12 month extension they still only "need" 30 days covid insurance. As I alluded to, there's a difference between government requirement and what a person deems necessary; some go down the "self-insured" route others like the peace of mind a decent insurance policy gives.. 

• Like 1

Travel insurance month to month when you are in Thailand already :

US Insurance companies

https://www.worldtrips.com/#/start - Actually Tokio Marine, the same insurer that Safety Wing is selling as their own package.

https://www.sevencorners.com/#start - Travel Liason package.

I have used both in the past in my treks around the world as a nomad.

Thailand

https://www.lumahealth.com/travel-insurance/covid-insurance/ - you can buy it even though you have already arrived, providing you have no other cover

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 9:39 AM, Salerno said:

It's only required for the period of your initial entry e.g. if someone turns up on visa exempt with the intention to convert to Non-O and get a 12 month extension they still only "need" 30 days covid insurance. As I alluded to, there's a difference between government requirement and what a person deems necessary; some go down the "self-insured" route others like the peace of mind a decent insurance policy gives.. 

Oh, I wasn't aware of this. Plus some of the other policies are really expensive. The LUMA policy is like 1000 USD a year. So you don't have insurance Im assuming? 

On 10/14/2021 at 5:45 AM, Karma80 said:

Travel insurance month to month when you are in Thailand already :

US Insurance companies

https://www.worldtrips.com/#/start - Actually Tokio Marine, the same insurer that Safety Wing is selling as their own package.

https://www.sevencorners.com/#start - Travel Liason package.

I have used both in the past in my treks around the world as a nomad.

Thailand

https://www.lumahealth.com/travel-insurance/covid-insurance/ - you can buy it even though you have already arrived, providing you have no other cover

The LUMA Thailand pass is really expensive, like 1000 USD a year. Do you know of any cheaper options? Geo blue is like 250 for 6 months but I cant renew it in Thailand....

6 hours ago, racinkc1 said:

So you don't have insurance Im assuming? 

Personally I've always had insurance on my trips via my Credit Cards. Looking at relocating back in the next few months and will be looking for a decent long-term insurance policy (my home country policy is useless for overseas). If I was comfortably in the position to self insure I might think differently, but seeing a friend hit with a hefty bill when he fell ill on a cruise (just the repat flight component to get him back to a hospital cost him $75,000) led me to the conclusion that given my bank balance better to "waste" a grand or three a year than possibly end up retired and destitute.

• 2 weeks later...

instead of geo blue (I would think it's a travel insurance, you might not be covered in thaiand in same cases) to get thai health insurance for one year.

Now covid requirement is down to $50k, some 1.7mln baht.

Check on misterprakan different plans.

I have opted for pacific cross 5mln with 300k deductible to lower premium. 

They have no claim discounts up to 15%