Is there anywhere that does shot/bead-blasting near Pattaya?

3STTW

17 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

If your parts are delicate in any way, they may be damaged severely by Shot or Sand Blasting.

I think they  use  baking soda for delicate parts ?

I don't know if this company is still around and have not used them but maybe they can help.

post-2109-0-77313300-1437891088_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I've been looking off and on for a sandblasting service or a caustic as well, please update the thread if you find one. 

I have an old tool chest I want to have blasted or dipped and I'd like to get a brick/concrete building blasted. 

• Like 2

Thanks folks. Actually they're marine outdrive components, so not that delicate.

I hadn't really considered powder coating and I'm not sure if it's good for marine use - I'll look into that - but first I need to get the old paint off.

There's these guys who have an interesting alternative.

And for concrete/brick, try these.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 3STTW said:

Thanks folks. Actually they're marine outdrive components, so not that delicate.

I hadn't really considered powder coating and I'm not sure if it's good for marine use - I'll look into that - but first I need to get the old paint off.

There's these guys who have an interesting alternative.

And for concrete/brick, try these.

Thanks, but I need to strip paint and neither the vapor nor the pressure washer will work.

Are you re-building the out-drives?

I believe powder-coating is getting pretty popular for marine applications, at least in the US. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 3STTW said:

I suspect the powder coating company if it's worth it's salt will also do  "media" blasting  as its the "best" way to remove old paint and corrosion.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Thanks, but I need to strip paint and neither the vapor nor the pressure washer will work.

Are you re-building the out-drives?

I believe powder-coating is getting pretty popular for marine applications, at least in the US. 

Yep, hence the original question. The aluminium parts need a special non-metallic blast media which will remove the existing paint but not the metal.

I'm working on the drives next week with the intention of getting them back in the water ASAP, currently they need some new seals and bellows, etc. However, if I find a bunch of other nasty issues then I'll do a general rebuild which will include the repaint. Otherwise I'll leave the redressing to next year.

Powder coating is looking like a good option but, for marine applications, the surface prep and primer need to be top quality, otherwise the coat falls off within 12-18 months. The other issue is that powder needs to be baked (AFAIK) so I would need to strip the dives down completely. If I use a marine paint this wouldn't be necessary.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thierryviteau said:

not painted, I think it's gold color in the metal ? maybe powder coating ? it's original benz wheels that hit the sidewalk too often ????

translucent gold color ?

could be anodized so would need the damage to the metal repaired before hand then re anodized,maybe cheaper and easier to exchange the rims for a new set at one of the many roadside shops selling wheels.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Most OEM alloy wheels are painted.

In any event, new OEM wheels clearly look nicer than re-worked for anybody who has eyes ?

Can't wait to hear the price quoted from MB for a new wheel !!! 555

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2021 at 7:28 AM, johng said:

translucent gold color ?

could be anodized so would need the damage to the metal repaired before hand then re anodized,maybe cheaper and easier to exchange the rims for a new set at one of the many roadside shops selling wheels.

Thank you for your help, it was great talking to you !

????

On 10/9/2021 at 6:36 PM, seedy said:

Can't wait to hear the price quoted from MB for a new wheel !!! 555

I don't even want to know the price because I won't change them as I will destroy them again within few years. Better just fix the ones on the car, it's just few years old.

• Haha 1