Mexico, Thailand and more could be removed from red travel list

webfact

14 minutes ago, VBF said:

Safe for Thais and other non-vaccinated people yes - I consider it safe for vaxxed people now. As the subject of this thread is removing it from the UK red list that means most people living in UK who wish to travel to Thailand. As UK Govt has taken it off the red-list they must think similarly.

The advice from FO not to travel is just that - advice and non-enforceable. Unfortunately insurance comps use it as a cop-out

Seems a bit of a contradiction but it looks as if this maybe the case.

Insurer can avoid claim if you test positive, and get carted off to hospital, or get genuinely ill.

All a bit confusing really.

Looks like @Kadilo will have to roll the dice if he wants to empty his space hoppers.  ????

Edited by Cherrytreeview
Edit
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Seems a bit of a contradiction but it looks as if this maybe the case.

Insurer can avoid claim if you test positive, and get carted off to hospital, or get genuinely ill.

All a bit confusing really.

Looks like @Kadilo will have to roll the dice if the wants to empty his space hoppers.  ????

Him and lots of others of we "sportsman"????

It's only a contradiction because of the concept of Red Lists which didn't exist until Covid. Before then everyone was advised to heed the FO's advice and insurance comps took the view that if the FO advised against travelling to a country, they wouldn't cover it. That bit actually hasn't changed - it's the Red List that has coloured it - pardon the pun!

2 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Since you do, could you please explain if insurance is still valid if you travel?

Thanks.

I think I just answered that Whyfore you no listen, innit ????

22 hours ago, ukrules said:

That's the dream for Thailand.

It almost certainly won't happen due to the presence of a certain Beta (South Africa) variant in Thailand - that's what I heard.

I will be very surprised if Thailand is not one of the very short list of countries which remains on the list.

1 - Due to the variant

and

2 - Due to their choice of vaccines

That said, I like surprises yet I'm rarely surprised.

You are wrong

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/uk-travel-update-red-list-b1933822.html

The choice of vaccines here is wide. Pfizer, AZ SP, SV, and others...I had AZ, my friends have had a variety. The choice is growing to include Moderna, shortly..

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You are wrong

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/uk-travel-update-red-list-b1933822.html

The choice of vaccines here is wide. Pfizer, AZ SP, SV, and others...I had AZ, my friends have had a variety. The choice is growing to include Moderna, shortly..

Indeed, I said I would be very surprised if Thailand is removed from the list and I am very surprised right now. Shocked even. I hope they don't have a COVID Beta outbreak in England over the coming winter.

I'm more surprised that South Africa has also been removed from the list than Thailand though - for me that's the real shocker here.

Good luck with the current round of vaccines, I look forward to updated versions - maybe we get them in a couple of years.

Edited by ukrules

3 hours ago, VBF said:

Don't get too excited... the BBC (NOT official Govt site) has this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58822439   "The full list of destinations for which the Foreign Office has eased its travel advice is....." List follows EXCLUDING Thailand, which I believe means getting travel insurance may be difficult. As was pointed out earlier today, the FO advice list is not the same as the Red List

UPDATE:

As I was typing that, my regular Travel Advice email from the FO arrived Foreign travel advice Thailand containing

Latest update:

From 4am on Monday 11 October, Thailand will no longer be on the red list for entering England. Check what you must do to travel abroad and return to England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. ('Summary' and 'Coronavirus' pages)

"The FCDO advise against all but essential travel to the whole of Thailand based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks."

So regrettably, my observation about insurance probably still applies.  @Kadilo we cross-posted 

When Thailand was put on the red list the FCO advice against all but essential travel (except for Pattani, Yala etc for terrorist reasons) was not added until the actual red list came into force. I think the same will apply again; ie the FCO will advise against travel based on the current advice until 4.00 am 11 October, when the advice will then cease to be current. The FCO site will then be amended. Presumably the FCO gets its advice from whichever committee decides the rules for each country and the Uk government for all its faults generally does not allow advice from different official sources to be in conflict.

• Like 1

ukrules, thanks for the list of the 7 countries still on the red list. I am not surprised that Haiti and

Venezuela are on the list, for sure.  I can imagine that the Brit expats are relieved that Thailand finally

will be off that list, as some will want to go visit family before Winter months show up in the UK.

Geezer

19 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Stick to UK and not divert. TAT rather brood over the 34% tourists from China and India and even the 10% Malaysians than the 2.6% from UK. End of day, up to the UK establishment to decide on their color coding. Thailand don’t seem to treat this with any urgency. 

You never posted the link to your tourist data.

I wouldn't want people thinking your making things up.

Please post.

19 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Stick to UK and not divert. TAT rather brood over the 34% tourists from China and India and even the 10% Malaysians than the 2.6% from UK. End of day, up to the UK establishment to decide on their color coding. Thailand don’t seem to treat this with any urgency. 

UK at number 3 in condo ownership.

Doesn't seem to tally with your UK visitor number percentage.

Look forward to the link.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:04 AM, abrahamzvi said:

If the list published by the BBC is read fully, this clearly states that a new list is to be decided on and listed on Thursday and should refer to the list of red countries in S.America and Asia. Let‘s see if the to be published list excludes Thailand a.o. 

The report about Thailand probably being removed from the red list on Thursday, has proved to be correct. Not only has Thailand been removed from the red list, but, at least AZ, administered in Thailand. is being recognized in the UK as fully vaccinated. Very positive developments for Thais and Thai Residents intending travelling to the UK.

10 hours ago, freedomnow said:

What a pot calling the kettle black scenario - UK 2nd in world for daily case numbers in the last week.

Maybe they're 2nd in the world for testing too.  That could easily make them second in the world for cases and not be any worse than all those third or below.  You can make the numbers say anything.