CoE insurance companies and applying for coe and length of time to get one.

I have been hoping for a relaxation of CoE rules but they don't seem to be coming.  Bite the bullet and am applying for a COE.  I may have made a big mistake.  On a page that I just found it states that I must apply 15 working days before I need a CoE.  Is that fixed?  Can I get one in 10 days applying from Thailand? 

For insurance I know Unbonjoe provided some names but cannot find them.  I have been led to 2 insurance sites sites during my flight booking and Thai CoE info. I need about 90 days. 

TUNE Ins (https://www.tuneprotect.co.th/en/product/coronavirus-covid-19-insurance) offers 1 yr for 15,000 THB and AXA offers 90 days for 7630 THB.  AXA is 28,500 THB for a year.  For 15k I am inclined to be insured for a year, why not? Any comments re the TUNE company?  Any other  comments please? 

(BTW.  Booking flights on skyscanner I can get a flexible economy return ticket BKK to Lyon, France for about 550 Euros with Lufthansa.)  

I see that because I have a re entry visa (valid retirement visa) I apply to   https://coethailand.mfa.go.th

Is this correct?

It also states that reservations from bookings.com are not accepted.  Is that true?  Any suggestions for alternate, acceptable sites?  I will quarantine in BKK for 7 days b4 coming back home.

This is all a bit rushed as I have just learned that I cannot change my appointment date in France and so am making travel plans etc. in a bit of a  panic.

Thanks for any comments.

May not be relevant now, but I applied for CoE on Dec 23, and had a positive reply on 26 Dec.  I was surprised at how quick this was.  I think that the replies were automated, so make sure you have everything right on your application, or it will be rejected.  No human intelligence to help you here.

Insurance:    I guess just pick the cheapest.

I booked my flight through Expedia, which I always use.  For CoE I used the airline reservation form, not anything from Expedia.  Can't see why Booking .com is excluded, but TIT.

Good luck with this application.  I found 14 day quarantine harder work than I expected, but worth it to  get back to my family.

I got 30 day with AXA, the insurance certificates were in my inbox within seconds. After I arrive I'll acquire less expensive insurance in country, and it will take awhile to get the certificate though surly by the time AXA terminates.

I always book directly with the airlines, more flexibility and easier to manage rescheduling and cheaper in the long run. Internet agencies are a PTA at times, never again for me. I booked my flights on a 30 day turn-around and will reschedule the return once I'm in country. 

There's 2 phases of the COE process. 1st phase is the confirmation phase. During this phase you'll have however long it takes to get your doc's in order and accepted. Once the consulate confirms that you are eligible to apply you'll be on to the 2nd phase. The 2nd phase is the actual application for the COE, this is where you have 15 days to complete the application process. If you think you might have issues then don't start it until you're ready and you'll be departing in two weeks. Whenever you login you'll see a countdown timer. So it's advise that you're prepared. When I started the process I was a bit under the gun to get it done, though it's simple enough. It can take up to 3 days for them to get back to you for each submission, though typically 1 day. Example: you make a submission, they reject it for 2 or 3 reasons, then you fix it and resubmit it, potentially you're already 6 days in the process by the time they get back to you depending how busy the consulate is. During the 2nd phase whenever/if ever there's a problem with a submission it will be rejected for up to 15 days, if you're not confirmed by that time then you're out. The more mistakes or oversight someone has during the process, the longer it will take.  

Edited by 0james0
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 0james0 said:

There's 2 phases of the COE process. 1st phase is the confirmation phase. During this phase you'll have however long it takes to get your doc's in order and accepted. Once the consulate confirms that you are eligible to apply you'll be on to the 2nd phase.

I have just done a COE, the first step was automated approval within minutes.

3 hours ago, Robin said:

Insurance:    I guess just pick the cheapest.

I wouldn't, some insurance has a waiting period of 14 days after arrival in Thailand, which takes out the highest risk time while in quarantine, and some do no cover asymptomatic hospital admission.

I understand the OP mentioned Tune and AXA have no waiting period and cover asymptomatic and they were my top 2 researched for my upcoming trip

30 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Agoda.com has a selection of hotels that are approved ASQ. One can book directly with Agoda.

Agoda is a safer option. I applied last week Sept and had booked and paid for 15 days, that was pre set on their web site. When the reduced quarantine became official I emailed Agoda and had an amended booking and the difference refunded to my card within a couple of days.

On arrival I had the 10 days reduced to 7 days so hoping the second refund goes through as smoothly.

https://www.agoda.com/quarantineth

18 hours ago, samtam said:

Where are you? (I'm assuming it's not one single database, but different platforms in different countries.)

I was in the UK when I applied for COE. 

I think your assumption is right, my COE was initially rejected by the London Embassy.

14 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I was in the UK when I applied for COE. 

I think your assumption is right, my COE was initially rejected by the London Embassy.

I am in Thailand.  Making a short trip to France and back again.  I live here.