Oh the irony...

58 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Also, these kind of criticisms about stress on the power grid assume that there will be a tsunami of EV's being purchased by Thais that will overwhelm the system. There's a huge base of ICE vehicles in Thailand. The percentages will gradually shift.

Also, just because EVs take a long time to charge now doesn't mean that will continue to be the case. I believe the new Hyundai EV gets to about 80% of its charge in 12 minutes. And solid state batteries will charge a lot faster.

Charging times mean nothing its kW/h . You cannot charge 50kW in 1 min unless you got a <deleted>load big cables and scary big power running through it . It isnt happening any time soon even if the batteries can do .

• Like 1

30 minutes should top up any car's batteries from 30 - 100%, and give one another 300 kms at least.

Do you really want to drive 600 kms a day on Thai roads, or not stop half way for 30 minutes or so.  I do that in the ICE; drain bladder, take dog for walk, top up tank, hit the food court, fast food or 7-11 @ PTT park stations.  Browse, pick up some snacks, stretch legs, check map & hotels, points of interest in the area.

Go EV, save the planet & your wallet at the same time ... ????

Yes, there's 400+ stations nationwide, if you can't find one, you're not looking very hard.

No longer any reason not to go EV if thinking about it, just invalid excuses.  Certainly not for everyone, but simply just a budget decision now for most, as EVs will pay for themselves in petrol & maintenance cost savings.

Edited by KhunLA

10 hours ago, sezze said:

Commercial vehicles , there are certainly a few around , bus and vans are used already . The heavy equipment , you are right , and it will be a while before they come. Thailand indeed is far from being ready . But not having it now , doesn't mean it won't be in 10-15y .

Range and recharge time :

Range is no problem , most people drive less then 100km per day . Many electric cars now got 400km range ( and more but 400 is pretty standard ) . Recharge time , well it is different then your petrol engine . You do not drive to the petrol station once your car is empty and then drive out again for the next 400km . It can be done , and then the recharge time is important , but it is not the best use in several ways . It is bad for the battery . Normally you come home and plug in a normal rate charger , meaning , it does take a few hours , but if you are driving 100km a day , it is nice and full again without problem for next day .

Idk where you live , maybe in Thailand , but looking outside on the road here ( Europe) , i see electric bicycles a lot , cruising along . I see electric steps , cruising along . Yes , it isn't the same like it used to be , requires some changes , but many changes are easily done .

https://www.gogoro.com/gogoro-network/

And this can be done easy in Thailand also , and it can go superfast . The amount of motorbike's around is huge , charging /switching stations can be build fast .

I live in rural Thailand. My journeys are mainly to the local village 6km each way, the main village where the hospital is and my son's school is 15km each way and a bulk shop to Kamphaeng Phet once a month is 65km each way.

Sometimes we go over to Phitsanulok 180 km each way and several times a year my wife and son go to visit family in BKK about 400km each way.

I have a 20 year old Ford Ranger 4 door 4x4 pickup and for the local runs I would like to get an electric vehicle similar to a 4 seat golf cart but they are not cheap.

There are these becoming available.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I live in rural Thailand. My journeys are mainly to the local village 6km each way, the main village where the hospital is and my son's school is 15km each way and a bulk shop to Kamphaeng Phet once a month is 65km each way.

Sometimes we go over to Phitsanulok 180 km each way and several times a year my wife and son go to visit family in BKK about 400km each way.

I have a 20 year old Ford Ranger 4 door 4x4 pickup and for the local runs I would like to get an electric vehicle similar to a 4 seat golf cart but they are not cheap.

There are these becoming available.

Depends on attitude of local PoPo on unregistered EVs, as few are street legal, allowing registration.

My driving habits same as yours locally, though dog instead of kid and basically 2 trips, total 15 kms each.  Unless out with the wife for short hop.  Have the SUV for out & about.

So I went with E-scooter, registered and one of, if not only one allowed to be, and dealer did all that paperwork.   Also the best value out there, that I found in my research.  Good warranty, though untested, but savings over ICE cost, will actually pay for itself before the warranty expires, since putting on at least 30 kms a day.

Have different options and price points for their scooters.  Not sure about their 3 wheelers, as didn't interest me.  Can also do the usual, and add a side cart, if needing more than a rear seat.

3 versions of motor / batteries; 1000w, 2000w, 3000w, and price difference within the 1k & 2k motors simply for styling, w/macho at a premium???? and specs basically the same.  Only 1 option for 3000w motor, and larger battery / distance.

https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/th/product-deco/electric-motorcycles 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Depends on attitude of local PoPo on unregistered EVs, as few are street legal, allowing registration.

My driving habits same as yours locally, though dog instead of kid and basically 2 trips, total 15 kms each.  Unless out with the wife for short hop.  Have the SUV for out & about.

So I went with E-scooter, registered and one of, if not only one allowed to be, and dealer did all that paperwork.   Also the best value out there, that I found in my research.  Good warranty, though untested, but savings over ICE cost, will actually pay for itself before the warranty expires, since putting on at least 30 kms a day.

Have different options and price points for their scooters.  Not sure about their 3 wheelers, as didn't interest me.  Can also do the usual, and add a side cart, if needing more than a rear seat.

3 versions of motor / batteries; 1000w, 2000w, 3000w, and price difference within the 1k & 2k motors simply for styling, w/macho at a premium???? and specs basically the same.  Only 1 option for 3000w motor, and larger battery / distance.

https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/th/product-deco/electric-motorcycles 

The main reason that I prefer a trike is that they are easier to ride and less chance of me at 77 y.o. falling off the damn thing. The trike is a good price as well.

The police out here aren't that bothered and the are 3 or 4 electric trikes and scoots around already.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Since there are charging stations all over Thailand, why would the distance to Phitsanalouk or Bangkok be a problem?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Since there are charging stations all over Thailand, why would the distance to Phitsanalouk or Bangkok be a problem?

The 3 wheelers he was looking at doesn't have that range, and you wouldn't want to do 180 kms @ 25-40 kph.  Around the village, no prob.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Whilst there may be a lot of charging stations in Thailand it is more a case of locating them than the number.

https://www.rvo.nl/sites/default/files/2021

Following brisk investment from both the public and private
sectors, the number of charging stations in Thailand has also
increased. Data from EVAT shows as of June 2021, Thailand had
664 charging stations with 2,224 chargers from 10 developers
nationwide. Of this total, about two thirds are normal chargers and
the remainder (around 700) are quick charging facilities. 

I am having a bit of a problem actually finding an online map of Thailand showing ev charging stations. Maps of the USA, UK, Norway, Holland etc are easy to find, but Thailand is not so east.

I would think that the majority of public charging stations would be in Bangkok and the other tourist cities such as CM, CR, Phuket, Pattaya etc and the remainder scattered along the major highways. For my certain knowledge there is only 1 set in Kamphaeng Phet at Robinsons though there maybe more along the major highways and that is 65km from my home.

If you can find and post a map of Thailand charging stations that would be a great help to everyone who reads this thread and is planning a journey. 

32 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The 3 wheelers he was looking at doesn't have that range, and you wouldn't want to do 180 kms @ 25-40 kph.  Around the village, no prob.

The 3 wheelers etc would only be for local travel and perhaps 50 km per day. IMHO they would not be safe used on any major road especially if you have to U turn to cross the road.

• 7 months later...
On 11/13/2021 at 7:57 AM, sezze said:

Charging times mean nothing its kW/h . You cannot charge 50kW in 1 min unless you got a <deleted>load big cables and scary big power running through it . It isnt happening any time soon even if the batteries can do .

Agree, and think it will be a long time before any EVs in Thailand will be charging up 80% (of a 50kW battery) in less than 30 minutes.   Also, constant superfast charging is not the best for battery life.

On 10/9/2021 at 2:38 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

Not to mention how it goes in Africa with mining the resources, using children and chemicals that cause new problems while we still have plenty of oil.

Not really an issue yet but wait until they start disposing of billions of used battery packs filled with toxic metals.

• Like 1