Successive storms may cause floods in parts of central Thailand this week

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-37.png

Women row a boat with their dog through floodwaters in a neighbourhood in Ayutthaya on October 4, 2021, after tropical storm Dianmu caused flooding in 31 provinces across the country. Jack TAYLOR / AFP

People living downstream of Pasak Jolasid Dam in Ang Thong, Lop Buri, Saraburi, Suphan Buri, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi and Ayutthaya have been warned to brace for flooding as an indirect effect of three successive storms affecting Thailand until October 18th, according to Director of the Climate Change and Disaster Centre at Rangsit University Dr. Seree Supharatid.

The first storm, expected to make landfall in northern Vietnam today, is “Lionrock”, after which it will weaken into a tropical depression. This will be followed by tropical storm “Kompasu” which, until Sunday evening, was over the northern Philippine Sea and it is expected to make secondary landfall over Vietnam mid-afternoon on Thursday and, thirdly, a low-pressure cell.

Dr. Seree said the weather systems will bring more rain to Thailand and this will send more water into the Pasak Jolasid Dam, resulting in the need to discharge more water, while assuring that Bangkok will not be affected.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/successive-storms-may-cause-floods-in-parts-of-central-thailand-this-week/

Logo-top-.png

27 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

The way these storms keep coming and causing floods, maybe opening up Thailand in December is

a good delay.  Good luck to all who keep being affected by the floods.

Geezer

I think its more reservoir control.

Two successive drought years have led to them storing more water in reservoirs than is recommended for time of year.

I live in the North East and yes, there's been rain but not enough to cause these dams to overflow.

Even the large river (Songkram) have been going does the last few weeks.

Meekong is lower than usual also.

Its a gamble that hasn't paid off.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

while assuring that Bangkok will not be affected.

Famous last words. Wonder when I heard that before? Doesn’t make me feel very confident, but I really hope Bangkok won’t have to go through what happened in 2011 again. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Thailand is basically one very large draining valley with Bangkok at the sea end.  Guess what happens when it rains and storms, floods.  You can't beat Nature. 

You just discounted the half of Thailand below Bangkok.

How do those provinces figure in your "large draining valley"?

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Thailand is basically one very large draining valley with Bangkok at the sea end.  Guess what happens when it rains and storms, floods.  You can't beat Nature. 

A good point as many of us look upon Bangkok as the bowels of Thailand

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2021 at 5:34 PM, snoop1130 said:

Dr. Seree said the weather systems will bring more rain to Thailand and this will send more water into the Pasak Jolasid Dam, resulting in the need to discharge more water, while assuring that Bangkok will not be affected

and  will this  water be  wet also?

• Haha 1