Jomtien Immigration

I went to Jomtien Immigration today for a marriage extension. The woman asked for a letter from the embassy……these were stopped more than two years ago.

She then said I should have 400,000 baht in my account…..I pointed out I was doing the 40,000 a month.

The list I got a month ago from Immigration in English for extension was different to her list in Thai. She told me to go away and get all the things on her list. I asked if she had it in English….No, she said. I asked at front desk where they gave me my original English list….of course I had everything on my list…..No, we don’t have. 
This is probably the largest group of farang outside of Bangkok, and they don’t have the requirements in English…..that just boggles my mind.

Every year with these people at immigration is a complete <deleted> shoot. At least in Korat they had the list in English. It is like Pattaya is in the dark ages. 
I wish this country could get their act together on so many levels. Initiative and looking past the end of their nose’s would be a good start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I went to Jomtien Immigration today for a marriage extension. The woman asked for a letter from the embassy……these were stopped more than two years ago.

She then said I should have 400,000 baht in my account…..I pointed out I was doing the 40,000 a month.

The list I got a month ago from Immigration in English for extension was different to her list in Thai. She told me to go away and get all the things on her list. I asked if she had it in English….No, she said. I asked at front desk where they gave me my original English list….of course I had everything on my list…..No, we don’t have. 
This is probably the largest group of farang outside of Bangkok, and they don’t have the requirements in English…..that just boggles my mind.

Every year with these people at immigration is a complete <deleted> shoot. At least in Korat they had the list in English. It is like Pattaya is in the dark ages. 
I wish this country could get their act together on so many levels. Initiative and looking past the end of their nose’s would be a good start.

The amazing thing about Jomtien is the contrast between the different desks. Applying for retirement extensions at Jomtien is usually a pleasant process. On the other hand, those processing marriage extensions make Jomtien feel like a rogue office, making your life as difficult as possible in the hope of pushing you into the clutches of agents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They will be closed the 13th and 25th for Thai holidays. Same for main bank branches.

Wasn't Monday 25 (substitute) moved to Friday 22?

Bank of Thailand and another source I check still show so.

https://www.bot.or.th/English/FinancialInstitutions/FIholiday/Pages/2021.aspx

Calendar on Khon Khaen immigration also shows October 22nd as closed.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

The amazing thing about Jomtien is the contrast between the different desks. Applying for retirement extensions at Jomtien is usually a pleasant process. On the other hand, those processing marriage extensions make Jomtien feel like a rogue office, making your life as difficult as possible in the hope of pushing you into the clutches of agents.

Ah. So that is the intention……good to know. At one unnamed office the head of the office wanted 15,000 baht for easy process……my wife said just do it for an easier life……I pleaded poverty and the woman settled for 10,000 baht…..it still stuck in my craw though.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Wasn't Monday 25 (substitute) moved to Friday 22?

Bank of Thailand and another source I check still show so.

https://www.bot.or.th/English/FinancialInstitutions/FIholiday/Pages/2021.aspx

Calendar on Khon Khaen immigration also shows October 22nd as closed.

The last time I looked at the bank holiday list it was still the 25th. It would be good if they put the date they changed it.

I normally watch for holidays to be changed by the cabinet.

Will now update my list of holidays.

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

Surprising?????? LOL

14 hours ago, Mansell said:

Ah. So that is the intention……good to know. At one unnamed office the head of the office wanted 15,000 baht for easy process……my wife said just do it for an easier life……I pleaded poverty and the woman settled for 10,000 baht…..it still stuck in my craw though.

It's always the intention when they make up rules on the spot or don't follow their set policies/requirements. And it works. I am paying quite a bit extra for someone else to do my fully legal extensions just so I don't have to set foot inside of immigration and deal with the frustrating people there. Plus I'm lessening my exposure to potential COVID infection at the same time. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

Agents don't do marriage extensions because HQ approval is needed so the 'fee' is split too many ways. I have always found the family extensions desk at Jomtien to be firm fair and efficient

On 10/12/2021 at 4:35 PM, ubonjoe said:

They will be closed the 13th and 25th for Thai holidays. Same for main bank branches.

Hi

Just a quick one ,when i do my 60 day update of my bank book for marrige extention,does it matter if it was 62 or 63 days or does it have to be exactly 60 days thanks.

35 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Hi

Just a quick one ,when i do my 60 day update of my bank book for marrige extention,does it matter if it was 62 or 63 days or does it have to be exactly 60 days thanks.

It is 2 months (it is not 60 days) on the day you apply for your extension of stay based upon marriage. If the 400k baht has been in the bank for 2 months or more you can update you bank book on the day you apply for the extension.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It is 2 months (it is not 60 days) on the day you apply for your extension of stay based upon marriage. If the 400k baht has been in the bank for 2 months or more you can update you bank book on the day you apply for the extension.

Thanks,thats great

On 10/12/2021 at 7:49 PM, BritTim said:

Applying for retirement extensions at Jomtien is usually a pleasant process.

But I do understand that they have pernickety supporting bank document requirements for Americans, Aussies and Brits using the 65k monthly income method in lieu of (no longer available in their cases) Embassy income confirmations. And do they still insist on retirees using the 800k bank balance method to return after 3 months with suitable proof that the relevant account hasn't dipped a single satang below the required minimum in the meantime?

I do the 40,000 baht month method for marriage extension….the woman there said I should do the 400,000 bank method. Somewhat annoying hearing this nonsense from her. I will return with more bank info soon. Having this process every year to me is like having Damocles sword hanging over me with a thread thickness determined by the whim of an Immigration persons mood that day.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 11:50 AM, OJAS said:

But I do understand that they have pernickety supporting bank document requirements for Americans, Aussies and Brits using the 65k monthly income method in lieu of (no longer available in their cases) Embassy income confirmations. And do they still insist on retirees using the 800k bank balance method to return after 3 months with suitable proof that the relevant account hasn't dipped a single satang below the required minimum in the meantime?

Yes.

On 10/12/2021 at 7:30 PM, Mansell said:

There is another post running where I was challenged as to why I use an agent, its just for this kind of utter BS. The IOs just don't know their own rules. 

• Haha 1

The officer was asking for letters from SS in the Philippines……they don’t do that. So I figured Bulls*#% baffles brains…..so I printed out my emails back and forwards to SS in the Philippines….she perused them at length and accepted them…..I think she had no idea what she was looking at, but it satisfied her demand for more stuff. Got the extension……now I can relax for a year, and then it all starts again.

I don’t understand the Thai thinking…..they are trying to encourage tourists to come and spend money….but we are here and I would guess on average spend a million baht a year each, some more etc. Surely anybody with a functioning brain would make it as easy as possible for us to stay here. We are guaranteed to keep spending rain or shine, Covid or no Covid, winter and summer. Captive money so to speak. If anybody in the government had initiative they would create a committee and invite Embassies and expats to sit in on the committee, and then do a brain storm to figure how to make the system work better for everybody. Find out why tourists are attracted to Thailand, and what would make it better for them on all levels. Take all the best suggestions and implement them and advertise the changes across the target countries. Just a thought.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mansell said:

The officer was asking for letters from SS in the Philippines……they don’t do that. So I figured Bulls*#% baffles brains…..so I printed out my emails back and forwards to SS in the Philippines….she perused them at length and accepted them…..I think she had no idea what she was looking at, but it satisfied her demand for more stuff. Got the extension……now I can relax for a year, and then it all starts again.

I don’t understand the Thai thinking…..they are trying to encourage tourists to come and spend money….but we are here and I would guess on average spend a million baht a year each, some more etc. Surely anybody with a functioning brain would make it as easy as possible for us to stay here. We are guaranteed to keep spending rain or shine, Covid or no Covid, winter and summer. Captive money so to speak. If anybody in the government had initiative they would create a committee and invite Embassies and expats to sit in on the committee, and then do a brain storm to figure how to make the system work better for everybody. Find out why tourists are attracted to Thailand, and what would make it better for them on all levels. Take all the best suggestions and implement them and advertise the changes across the target countries. Just a thought.

Something like this suggestion happened  couple of years ago.. Immigration met Farangs from the Foreign Correspondents Club where various issues were raised. The Immigration top honcho sat there looking bewildered and left it to his sidekick to answer questions and receive suggestions. It went up like a lead balloon and nothing changed as I recall. 'We've always done it like this."????

• Like 2

Just now, Gandtee said:

Something like this suggestion happened  couple of years ago.. Immigration met Farangs from the Foreign Correspondents Club where various issues were raised. The Immigration top honcho sat there looking bewildered and left it to his sidekick to answer questions and receive suggestions. It went up like a lead balloon and nothing changed as I recall. 'We've always done it like this."????

Having said that. I've always been treated fairly and politely in Jomtien despite the red tape.