U.S. - Social Security Announces 5.9 Percent Benefit Increase for 2022

Pib

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 1:33 PM, Pib said:

The mailed SS COLA statements for the wife and I arrived our Bangkok mailbox today/5 Jan 2022.  We had also already downloaded the statements on 14 Dec 2021 from our SS online accts. 

And today/18 Jan 2022 our SSA-1099-SM-F arrived (needed for income tax filing). 

After 31 Jan 2022 a person will also be able to download their SSA-1099 if they have a myssa online acct.   The SSA always mails out the SSA-1099 before making them available online....or you might say the snail mail SSA -1099 gets a head start on the electronic SSA-1099. 

• Thanks 2

On 1/19/2022 at 3:22 PM, ubonjoe said:

Just got mine a little while ago. I now have everything I need.

Well, you probably had everything you needed at the beginning of 2021, when the SSA sent you (or you could obtain online) what your payments would be for 2021 (and what tax withholding, if any, would occur). If you file electronically, and you already have the required numbers, no 1099 required. And even if you file a paper return, no copy of 1099 required UNLESS there's withholding involved. Anyway, most of us could do our taxes without receipt of 1099's -- just that it doesn't make too much sense, since the IRS is so slow in accepting tax returns.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Well, you probably had everything you needed at the beginning of 2021, when the SSA sent you (or you could obtain online) what your payments would be for 2021 (and what tax withholding, if any, would occur). If you file electronically, and you already have the required numbers, no 1099 required.

My everything is for my extension of stay based upon income. I show the COLA letter and the SSA-1099 as proof of the source of my income for immigration to go along with my bank statements to prove how much I got every month.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 3:22 PM, ubonjoe said:

Just got mine a little while ago. I now have everything I need.

On 1/19/2022 at 5:58 PM, racyrick said:

Received mine today as well. now if we can only have another year free of the Form 7162 later this year!! One can hope!!

SSA was most considerate in my case and delayed processing my application for 8 months (so far) so that I didn't have to wait for my 2021 SSA-1099. ????  I'm hoping ????I'll get one next year for the benefits I've been qualified to receive since May 1.

To be at least somewhat fair to SSA, they also have to co-ordinate with ???????? to complete the processing.

Edited by gamb00ler