Isn't it time to spend the savings?

EVENKEEL

On 10/15/2021 at 2:05 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

I don't remember any excesses back then, not for me... a period of excessive workaholism... as I had my own business that had a good period... I lived in a lovely old camp in the woods and most all my employees drove nicer cars then I did... but i came out ahead in the end... 

Same for me, even had to drive 70 miles to go into the office at 3am on 1/1/2000 so I could spend the day monitoring our systems for any "Millenium Bugs"... Not all bad though they paid me a cash bonus of £1,000 for the inconvenience. 

I retired 2 years ago (53) & am finding it hard to spend my savings even though that is exactly what I planned to do until I'm 60 when my pensions kick in.   Find myself constantly worrying that I'm spending my money too fast even though my spreadsheet shows I'm burning through it at 1/2 the rate that I planned due to much better exchange rates & not being able to spend anything on international travel. 

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Same for me, even had to drive 70 miles to go into the office at 3am on 1/1/2000 so I could spend the day monitoring our systems for any "Millenium Bugs"... Not all bad though they paid me a cash bonus of £1,000 for the inconvenience. 

I retired 2 years ago (53) & am finding it hard to spend my savings even though that is exactly what I planned to do until I'm 60 when my pensions kick in.   Find myself constantly worrying that I'm spending my money too fast even though my spreadsheet shows I'm burning through it at 1/2 the rate that I planned due to much better exchange rates & not being able to spend anything on international travel. 

you don't have to spend it all... there may be things in your future that you want.. and I expect that things will continue to get more expensive... at 53 nothing wrong w/being careful... 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 4:55 AM, siftasam said:

For the first time in my life (I'm aged 75 now) I have serious medical problems: a blood clot in my leg and I'm awaiting an operation to take out my gallbladder.

When I get over all this <deleted>, I'm heading off to Switzerland and the Bernese Oberland next summer. Mindful of my leg, I'm going to lie on a flat bed in Business Class (having flown Economy all my life).

And I'm going to take a young pretty Thai lady with me (if I can find one). I guess it will be my last trip to Europe so <deleted> the expense!

When it comes to burn as much money in a short period of time, then Switzerland is indeed  an excellent choice. One of the most expensive countries on the planet.
- Gone are the days when Thai Ladies could vist a Farang in Switzerland, when only some temporary liability/health insurance was needed for the visitor. It's gotten very cumbersome.

• Haha 1

Like you I had a frugal upbringing which remained with me throughout my working life. 

On retirement, with noone to support, my friends encouraged me to 'spend spend spend. Now i am enjoying fine dining with decent wines. Pre÷covid holidays, upgraded flights etc.. And ,entering my 80th decade, I'm really enjoying life these days. 

• Like 2

"When it comes to burn as much money in a short period of time, then Switzerland is indeed  an excellent choice. One of the most expensive countries on the planet."

As you say, khun swissie, The only way I can afford it is to take advantage of any discounts and pay for as much as possible before going; in my case, for instance, a Bernese Oberland Travel Pass which will certainly save some money, and the train tickets from Zurich. I hope to book a hotel half board at as 'cheap' (!) a rate as possible given that retirement gives me some scope for dates. Fortunately, Oberland hotels seem to be uniformly good.

My great concern will be obtaining a visa for a Thai girl friend from the Swiss Embassy. When I tried years ago I filled out everything correctly, including paying money up front, and she was still refused; frustrating and expensive!

If you read this, I'd be grateful for any tips on getting a visa!

Thought provoking topic.  Live within your means is always the general rule.  

Your thoughts on shifting to spending exuberance and generous 'bell ringing' will depend on your economic situation. 

Many of us on low-tiered strict budget income streams literally cannot afford to ring bells, buy show-off cars and bikes and eat at expensive restaurants.  

Wealthy expats can and live great lives here, make lots of friends as a result, get the prettiest gold digging women, and have the latest and greatest material items to display and gloat to others. Pattaya is full of 'show ponies' wanting to advertise how great they are because they are rich (not all wealthy of course behave like this).

Ringing the bell can be a great ego boost for them as they display their virtuousness and generosity and win admiration by others (they think). 

Others like the poor of us have to skulk in the corners hoping this attention caused won't then result in a setback in our budget as we feel morally inclined to reciprocate a bell-ring round of drinks to random strangers who don't give a damn about you in reality.  Then a week or two or three of only 50 baht noodle soup as a result.  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 8:06 AM, Kwasaki said:

I spent all my savings the first 7 years of retiring in Thailand my Mrs kept me for 2 years. ????????

It is fine if no money worries and yes my first 7 years from 2008 I used my savings for my family and then started receiving the frozen state pension from the UK and yes it is difficult but we have a good life and my dear wife was stating just yesterday we so lucky to have property and food on the table and yes when we can we do go out to restaurants, that is if any are still open but there is always someone else worse off and yes we have to keep a certain amount in the bank for Immigration purposes.
Yes, before married for the 2nd time managed and did quite a bit of travelling when much younger.
It is all relative and yes certain families ie nephews and nieces from before are doing very well for themselves.

• Like 1