COVID: Will European tourists return to Southeast Asia?

webfact

4 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

Meanwhile the army in charge of land of smile , is scratching its head as no wealthy tourists arrive , good bye I go to Philippines 

By the time these folks realize they have botched high season, high season will be over. Another long difficult year for anyone depending on tourism. Truly sad.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fabruer said:

Am I missing something? The spread sheet you posted shows exactly what the article say: per person spending of Europeans and Americans is less than East Asian/ASEAN. 

Most forum members (including me) won't like this, but from a business point of view it makes sense to chase customers that spend approx. 30% more per day per person in comparison.

Europeans spend 70416.15 THB on avg and the Chinese spend 45731.48 on avg.

Edited by ThomasThBKK

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The European and Americans spend more because they stay longer in Thailand. They stay on average about twice as long than the Chinese and Asean tourists for a simple fact that they come from countries further away. Don’t make sense to stay a few days when you fly 12-16 hours; just not a rewarding experience. Chinese and ASEAN tourists prefer shorter stay as they are closer to Thailand and they have less holidays than the Europeans and Americans. 

The UK have more holidays, but the USA not so many!

The Americans (on average) have  10 days holiday - the UK has 28! 

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

No. 'Normality' can not be recouped or regained. You can not un ring the covid bell. In the context of 'Thailand Tourist Normality' it has gone forever, never to return. Freedom from worry, casual minor law breaking, freedom of choice, night life and entertainment, clubbing, partying...all gone.. and the poison dwarf and his unelected panjandrums glory in this loss of freedom and the concomitant total control of the hapless population it brings. Seried, joyless ranks of tour bus fodder from China is the future of Thai tourism.

Do you really think the fun stuff is gone forever? God I hope not!

It might be more like a reset. Once the ridiculous alcohol bans and curfews are over, the nightlife is initially centered around Bkk, Patts and Patong and then slowly spreads back to Samui etc. A bit like going back 25 years and starting from there. 

9 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I knew that was the case. Why does Thailand have China envy? It's bizarre!

Thai politicians love Chinese powers, but the Thai people I know are racist of Chinese people. Another case of love the currency/hate the country

How do they know how much specific nationalities spend per day?

For example if somebody pays a prostitute or for meals or for shopping by thai cash they bought in home country how do they count that?

I think spending may be higher than this statistic by Thai ministry

Edited by martin81
spelling error

42 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Do you really think the fun stuff is gone forever? God I hope not!

It might be more like a reset. Once the ridiculous alcohol bans and curfews are over, the nightlife is initially centered around Bkk, Patts and Patong and then slowly spreads back to Samui etc. A bit like going back 25 years and starting from there. 

The message is clear:  no more pub/club/ bar based tourism. Pattaya is the first to go. It has gone. It is finished. It took decades to grow and a year to destroy. The future of Thailand is like a cross between Burma, Bangladesh and North Korea.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

Thai politicians love Chinese powers, but the Thai people I know are racist of Chinese people. Another case of love the currency/hate the country

.... and the (very few) Chinese people I know do the same. They look down on the thais.

24 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The message is clear:  no more pub/club/ bar based tourism. Pattaya is the first to go. It has gone. It is finished. It took decades to grow and a year to destroy. The future of Thailand is like a cross between Burma, Bangladesh and North Korea.

Never underestimate the Thai people.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rohe60 said:

.... and the (very few) Chinese people I know do the same. They look down on the thais.

yeah, thank god asia hasn't allied to take the top of the pyramid. there's so much historical resentment between all those nations, except Malay/Indo (the only exceptions I know of), but if they start sharing the wealth across classes and borders and hide the corruption better, then a lifting asian moral might unite into a global force. honestly, if even China and Russia could put away their difference...

anyways, that's one more thing to add to the list of worries!

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I live in hope. But all round the world freedom and fun is in retreat and dour puritanism is on the march

yes but in most cases around the world there are people running countries that have something semi solid between their ears 

2 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

the military is in power behind the curtain. who can take power back from the military?

it has happened it's called revolution but is very messy - it hasn't happened in Thailand so far but I think this is the closest it has ever been 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

yes but in most cases around the world there are people running countries that have something semi solid between their ears 

Not in the USA or UK. But anyway the puritanical groundswell in the west is not coming from the Governments. It's a bottom up not top down drive for repression.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, smedly said:

it has happened it's called revolution but is very messy - it hasn't happened in Thailand so far but I think this is the closest it has ever been 

It did happen here without messy violence. There were democratic elections. There was a civilian government until the coup. 50% of people on this forum supported the junta and the couple and actually preferred the dwarf to Taksin.