Car been idle for 3 years, change tyres?

Velleman

48 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Because the oil breaks down causing friction on the big end bearings.

One seizes then the rod snaps punching the piston up into the valves ever so slightly bending the head.

Then the head gasket leaks aKA is blown !!

49 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

One seizes then the rod snaps punching the piston up into the valves ever so slightly bending the head.

I think you will find the oil filter takes care of the cr_p and oil pressure takes care of the bearings.....????

So, rule of thumb is, don't leave oil filter or oil in the engine "way" past its advised life span, mileage or time frame.

Ensure the engine runs in its advised temperature range.

Simple steps that usually ensures no issues, unless you are unlucky and have a component failure..????

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, transam said:

I think you will find the oil filter takes care of the cr_p and oil pressure takes care of the bearings.....????

So, rule of thumb is, don't leave oil filter or oil in the engine "way" past its advised life span, mileage or time frame.

Ensure the engine runs in its advised temperature range.

Simple steps that usually ensures no issues, unless you are unlucky and have a component failure..????

Doubt that filter does much filtering of unburnt fuel that degrades the oil to the point it creates friction on the bearing surfaces.

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Doubt that filter does much filtering of unburnt fuel that degrades the oil to the point it creates friction on the bearing surfaces.

Anything that goes into the sump passes through the filter before it gets to the bearings. If any fuel gets into the oil it is soon dissipated, that mainly happens in old engines where the rings are stuffed.

Your scenario is daft, unless you have a direct fuel leak passing into the engine bores. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 6:21 PM, Velleman said:

Ah yes ofcourse coolant too. It's an automatics yes.
Will have the car serviced and the tyres checked for cracks and flat spots. I don't know if i can trust B-quik on that matter though, they'll probably recommend new tyres.

stay away from b- quik their intent is to empty your wallet only, buy tires on lazada and let the local rubber smith change them,

Edited by tingtongfarang
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

stay away from b- quik their intent is to empty your wallet only, buy tires on lazada and let the local rubber smith change them,

Tell me the problem you had at B-Quik...?

I will pass it on...????

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, transam said:

Tell me the problem you had at B-Quik...?

I will pass it on...????

First thing they will do is put your car on a lift and take the wheels off, after that they will start offering to exchange parts which are in perfect order, they changed my brake disks with non om parts and after i ended up with the front brakes on fire and locked up, this happened 3 times untill they skimmed the disks down to the original thickness, 

after this i just dont trust them and have heard many reports from other customers complaining , 

i would'nt trust them with a peddle car now

Edited by tingtongfarang
smelling mistakes
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, tingtongfarang said:

First thing they will do is put your car on a lift and take the wheels off, after that they will start offering to exchange parts which are in perfect order, they changed my brake disks with non om parts and after i ended up with the front brakes on fire and locked up, this happened 3 times untill they skimmed the disks down to the original thickness, 

after this i just dont trust them and have heard many reports from other customers complaining 

You haven't said what you went to B-Quik for...????

B-Quik use Bendix brake parts, they advertise that...???? 

You have heard many reports from other customers complaining...????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

You haven't said what you went to B-Quik for...????

B-Quik use Bendix brake parts, they advertise that...???? 

You have heard many reports from other customers complaining...????

i went to b-quik because my rear brake lights were on, yes i have heard reports of similar cases from other customers and non om parts

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Anything that goes into the sump passes through the filter before it gets to the bearings. If any fuel gets into the oil it is soon dissipated, that mainly happens in old engines where the rings are stuffed.

Your scenario is daft, unless you have a direct fuel leak passing into the engine bores. 

You don't think Unburnt fuel makes it into the sump degrades the oil?

Best we agree to disagree and terminate this exchange.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah, right.  A snapped rod can push a piston, that it's now not connected to, further up the bore than it would normally go?  Do snapped rods grow in length and then re-attach themselves to the piston?

39 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yeah, right.  A snapped rod can push a piston, that it's now not connected to, further up the bore than it would normally go?  Do snapped rods grow in length and then re-attach themselves to the piston?

Nah , the snapped rod falls to one edge of the bore under the piston skirt and shunts it all up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

I quite like this article from Haynes car manuals regarding brake fluid.  ???? 

https://haynes.com/en-gb/tips-tutorials/how-and-when-change-your-brake-fluid

I had a Volvo in UK for 22 years I  never changed the the brake fluid or the auto trans fluid, maybe mileage is a factor. ????

I changed the oil and oil filter every 2 years. 

My Airblade scoot hasn't had it's brake fluid changed in 15 years and the dual braking system still locks up if you want it to.

I changed the oil every 4 years because I go on kilos done. 

Had a compression test done on the Airblade recently well within spec. 

My experiments continue. ????

1 hour ago, tingtongfarang said:

i went to b-quik because my rear brake lights were on, yes i have heard reports of similar cases from other customers and non om parts

Oh, the little switch under the brake pedal needed replacing, so you had the front brake discs replaced to cure it.....????

Were all those similar cases from bar stool chat...?   ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh, the little switch under the brake pedal needed replacing, so you had the front brake discs replaced to cure it.....????

Were all those similar cases from bar stool chat...?   ????

was a presure switch in the fluid system, i dont go to bars

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I had a Volvo in UK for 22 years I  never changed the the brake fluid or the auto trans fluid, maybe mileage is a factor. ????

I changed the oil and oil filter every 2 years. 

My Airblade scoot hasn't had it's brake fluid changed in 15 years and the dual braking system still locks up if you want it to.

I changed the oil every 4 years because I go on kilos done. 

Had a compression test done on the Airblade recently well within spec. 

My experiments continue. ????

Must confess I never changed the brake fluid in my 1988 Volvo 760 Estate until I had to replace a rear caliper, I will not tell you why I had to replace it....????

Auto trans fluid is in a virtually sealed environment, the fluid relies on temperature stability to maintain its structure, if my memory serves me well, its 175*F. If optimal temperature is maintained it can go on forever, 100,000 miles is no problem for auto fluid if temp has been in its operating window in those old boxes.  ????  

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 3:57 PM, lesmac said:

Shelf life 5 years but not in high uv, production date is on them. Is it petrol or diesel and if it is petrol and had gasahol  in it needs to be removed and the tank cleaned

before you try starting it

if you test drive to find any problems, be very aware that the seals within the Brake Calipers etc may well be perished because of Zero use 

Be safe !

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I  Like projects  farms real world  test, he has no vested interest unlike garages and manufacturers, nothing on his  channel  is sponsored by anoyne

He tested  lighlty used oil at 17  months age and the results were interesting

Yep, interesting videos...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

Nope just a presure switch on the brake line

Then technology has moved on in your case.

Still don't understand new rotors to cure brake lights...????

What year car/truck is it...?

Edited by transam

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Then technology has moved on in your case.

Still don't understand new rotors to cure brake lights...????

Gotta be sensor surely. 

All this kkrap they put in cars these days is a gravy train.