Car been idle for 3 years, change tyres?

Velleman

1 hour ago, Nojohndoe said:

I am a qualified Mechanical Engineer but not an Automotive Engineer.

That why the mis-understanding your post irelates to an old system over a time period that need overhauling.

3 hours ago, seedy said:

Your bike master cylinder  most likely looks like this -

Nissin example

mc.jpg

It is not like mine but take a close look again and realize how does air get into the fluid area. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That why the mis-understanding your post irelates to an old system over a time period that need overhauling.

It is not like mine but take a close look again and realize how does air get into the fluid area. 

Air does not get into the braking system, water gets into the braking system via the reservoir fluid. If it were a sealed system, it would not need a reservoir... ????

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Air does not get into the braking system, water gets into the braking system via the reservoir fluid. If it were a sealed system, it would not need a reservoir... ????

In the schematic provided the bladder acts as a barrier to atmospheric water while accommodating the displacement/return flow of the master cylinder. In the event of a slow fluid leak at the slave end the reservoir stretched  bladder can create a vacuum effect that can draw air past the open ended slave cylinder seals. If the system gets overheated the fluid expand back into the reservoir which if has been over filled the bladder prevents escape and effectively puts the brakes on !

No such thing as a perfect system !

52 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Ok if you are confident in the long term durability of the system on your bike but good auto maintenance advice is to perform a periodic flush bleed on new or old vehicles.

On a motorcycle is not easy to resort to the handbrake ! lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

In the schematic provided the bladder acts as a barrier to atmospheric water while accommodating the displacement/return flow of the master cylinder. In the event of a slow fluid leak at the slave end the reservoir stretched  bladder can create a vacuum effect that can draw air past the open ended slave cylinder seals. If the system gets overheated the fluid expand back into the reservoir which if has been over filled the bladder prevents escape and effectively puts the brakes on !

No such thing as a perfect system !

Well my Airblade scooter which I have used as an experiment since I came to Thailand would disagree with you unless a component became faulty which as my baby Blade is concerned hasn't happened.

Oil manufacturers and fluid manufacturers aren't going to say anything other than we recommend are they. 

They don't want us little people knowing too much it would not be beneficial to business.

13 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

Ok if you are confident in the long term durability of the system on your bike but good auto maintenance advice is to perform a periodic flush bleed on new or old vehicles.

On a motorcycle is not easy to resort to the handbrake ! lol

Fair call on my big bike I take more care my airblade scoot has been my experiment.

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well my Airblade scooter which I have used as an experiment since I came to Thailand would disagree with you unless a component became faulty which as my baby Blade is concerned hasn't happened.

Oil manufacturers and fluid manufacturers aren't going to say anything other than we recommend are they. 

They don't want us little people knowing too much it would not be beneficial to business.

My friend has no earths in his house electricity circuitry. I noticed he had this stainless steel cooker with three pin plug, plugged into a two pin extension lead.

I said that is dangerous, you need the earth to have half a chance against electrocution, he said, ...."Well its been alright for ten years".....  ????

PS. I even offered to earth the kitchen stuff, but no....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

My friend has no earths in his house electricity circuitry. I noticed he had this stainless steel cooker with three pin plug, plugged into a two pin extension lead.

I said that is dangerous, you need the earth to have half a chance against electrocution, he said, ...."Well its been alright for ten years".....  ????

PS. I even offered to earth the kitchen stuff, but no....

Maybe he looked on Google for the answer and wears rubber shoes. ????

As in many topics here Google is a source it very often isn't the full breakdown of information to certain components.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies haha ????

The car has been checked. Fortunately the tyres seem to be ok, at least according to b-quick.

Damage:

- Oil transmission pipe is busted, leaking oil and needs to be changed. I think this is quite cheap to have replaced?

- Air conditioning is not working. Wife translated what mechanic told her. "hold system"??? I don't know what that's supposed to mean.

What could an air conditioning system to fail after being idle for a couple of years?

1 minute ago, Velleman said:

The car has been checked. Fortunately the tyres seem to be ok, at least according to b-quick.

Damage:

- Oil transmission pipe is busted, leaking oil and needs to be changed. I think this is quite cheap to have replaced?

- Air conditioning is not working. Wife translated what mechanic told her. "hold system"??? I don't know what that's supposed to mean.

What could an air conditioning system to fail after being idle for a couple of years?

Has no gas.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Velleman said:

Damage:

How old is the car...?

What is the failed trans line made of...?

A/C, probably needs a top-up, but I would have it evacuated, re-gassed and oiled...????

6 hours ago, transam said:

How old is the car...?

What is the failed trans line made of...?

A/C, probably needs a top-up, but I would have it evacuated, re-gassed and oiled...????

2012 mazda 3, 1.6 L , 65.000 km.

It's quite a sturdy car, we never had any engine problems in all those years. Actually we never had to replace anything really, except for the tyres and aircon cleaning & refill.

Not sure what the failed transmission line is made of but it has already been repaired and the oil changed. less than 3500k THB total.

This was a mazda affiliated garage but they couldn't fix the aircon problem, the mechanic tried to refill it but the gas wouldn't get inside. The garage has no spare parts for the aircon unit in stock so he recommended my wife to go to the official mazda dealer.

Probably just dirty / clogged up?

Edited by Velleman

21 minutes ago, Velleman said:

2012 mazda 3, 1.6 L , 65.000 km.

It's quite a sturdy car, we never had any engine problems in all those years. Actually we never had to replace anything really, except for the tyres and aircon cleaning & refill.

Not sure what the failed transmission line is made of but it has already been repaired and the oil changed. less than 3500k THB total.

This was a mazda affiliated garage but they couldn't fix the aircon problem, the mechanic tried to refill it but the gas wouldn't get inside. The garage has no spare parts for the aircon unit in stock so he recommended my wife to go to the official mazda dealer.

Probably just dirty / clogged up?

A/C is a sealed environment, so I doubt muck is the problem. Could be a failed  A/C service connector. It is essential that the A/C is energized now and again to keep everything lubricated, the gas has oil added. Perhaps the age of your car and being left standing took its toll. 

I would get the A/C evacuated and re-gassed at an A/C place, forget the main agent. Ask around for a known good shop that only does auto A/C.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

I would get the A/C evacuated and re-gassed at an A/C place, forget the main agent. Ask around for a known good shop that only does auto A/C.

Didn't know that's even a thing, A/C garage.

unfortunately i can't find anything on google. If anyone knows of a good car A/C place (not just cleaning) please let me know.

On 10/16/2021 at 6:21 PM, Velleman said:

Ah yes ofcourse coolant too. It's an automatics yes.
Will have the car serviced and the tyres checked for cracks and flat spots. I don't know if i can trust B-quik on that matter though, they'll probably recommend new tyres.

On 10/16/2021 at 6:21 PM, Velleman said:

I don't know if i can trust B-quik on that matter though, they'll probably recommend new tyres.

Of course they will, all tyre places will especially if they are 4 yrs old or more, well anyway they all ways try it on with me, but as said check the walls for cracks. Has it been parked in the sun ?

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Of course they will, all tyre places will especially if they are 4 yrs old or more, well anyway they all ways try it on with me, but as said check the walls for cracks. Has it been parked in the sun ?

Surpirise, B-quick did recommend new tyres. ????

Two other places said the tyres were just fine.

It has not been parked in the sun. In a carport, covered with a PVC carcover. I'm not sure if the sunlight hit the tyres on certain times during the say, i guess not.

Edited by Velleman
  • Like 1

A little update on the aircon problem:

Mazda dealer mechanic says it's clogged and compressor needs to be replaced, (wife said condenser but i think she means compressor?). Total 16k THB. He recommended my wife to have it evacuated, cleaned and repaired at a specialized air con service garage, should be much cheaper.

16k is not that bad actually, i was expecting repairs to cost between 40 to 60k.

On 11/17/2021 at 5:32 PM, Velleman said:

A little update on the aircon problem:

Mazda dealer mechanic says it's clogged and compressor needs to be replaced, (wife said condenser but i think she means compressor?). Total 16k THB. He recommended my wife to have it evacuated, cleaned and repaired at a specialized air con service garage, should be much cheaper.

16k is not that bad actually, i was expecting repairs to cost between 40 to 60k.

I got a new after market compressor fitted for 2,000 baht at the local garage, the reason i needed new was the electric clutch bearing was stuffed and easier to fit a new compressor. No one here has mentioned the cabin A/C filter which gets clogged, Nissan wanted 1,300 baht fitted I got one from LAZ  148 baht including postage and fitted it myself.

Edited by brianthainess