Torrenting in Thailand riskless; Internetprovider

stat

On 10/17/2021 at 6:37 AM, recom273 said:

I would steer well clear of places like Pirate Bay, this is where you are likely to expose yourself to the (US) authorities

What the user gets is a lot of legal text (forwarded by the ISP) from the complaining party, detailing the transgression and threatening action if the alleged criminal does not send them his name, address, etc immediately and face the music.  In other words, outside of the connection details they know absolutely nothing else.  HBO aggressively uses this approach, or at least did for a while. There are some ambulance-chasing lawyers out there doing this vigilante style.  I would think in a country where legalities are cheaply bartered for (unlike the US, where it is not so cheap: for prices contact Senator Sinema) the personal information sought by the owner of the content (or their watchdog) wouldn't be so difficult to obtain.

The VPN called PIA supposedly does not keep user logs and costs around US$50/year.  They also have servers in a lot of countries, which is handy when you want access to a country that is not allowed from your current location.  E.g. there are a few BBC sites that restrict access from outside UK.

Edited by bendejo
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bendejo said:

What the user gets is a lot of legal text (forwarded by the ISP) from the complaining party, detailing the transgression and threatening action if the alleged criminal does not send them his name, address, etc immediately and face the music.  In other words, outside of the connection details they know absolutely nothing else.  HBO aggressively uses this approach, or at least did for a while. There are some ambulance-chasing lawyers out there doing this vigilante style.  I would think in a country where legalities are cheaply bartered for (unlike the US, where it is not so cheap: for prices contact Senator Sinema) the personal information sought by the owner of the content (or their watchdog) wouldn't be so difficult to obtain.

The VPN called PIA supposedly does not keep user logs and costs around US$50/year.  They also have servers in a lot of countries, which is handy when you want access to a country that is not allowed from your current location.  E.g. there are a few BBC sites that restrict access from outside UK.

I'd rather just avoid public trackers where you are advertising your IP address to the world. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/2/2021 at 11:51 AM, recom273 said:

I'd rather just avoid public trackers where you are advertising your IP address to the world. 

I download to and host torrents on a seedbox located in Europe. Then download from there to my laptop, firetv etc.

Edited by kebabby

On 1/17/2024 at 6:58 AM, kebabby said:

I download to and host torrents on a seedbox located in Europe. Then download from there to my laptop, firetv etc.

Very safe to do so yes. Has there ever been anyone indicted for piracy via public torrents in Thailand?

On 10/17/2021 at 5:54 PM, lujanit said:

I always use a VPN for anything done on the net.  The main reason I use a VPN is not that I am worried about a lawsuit from a movie owner yet because it prevents hacking into my finances.

You have to remember that any ISP can look up your activity if they want to or are requested to.

Who told you a VPN prevents "hacking into your finances"? that's complete BS. All a VPN does is make your connections to websites appear to come from an IP address that different than the local IP address provided by your ISP. VPN's are especially useful when in a country, say, like China restrics access to content using their control on China based ISPs'

A VPN does add an extra layer of encryption but it is not really necessary. However, if someone is using a lot of public WiFi access like in a Starbucks that using a VPN is a good idea because it does ad a layer of encryption across the wireless network (which could easily be hacked and snooped)

However for private home use it's not really necessary, in fact I would not use a paid VPN service because if they get hacked then access to ALL YOUR INTERNET traffic can be snooped by hackers of the service. I use my own VPN ... but that's because I know how to build a private VPN using Amazon viritual machines etc. (I'm a systems engineer)

All connections to any reputable financial institution already use SSL/TLS via https (encrypted connections) .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTPS

all modern day websites use HTTPS (encryption using TLS) over the interent. The old http protocol was in clear text across the Internet and could be easily snooped. 

regarding the OP. Thai ISP's are so clueless, cheap and have no relationships with content producers like in the USA. I never worry about using a torrent apps over a Thai ISP. They are too cheap to buy the equipment and manpower it would take to track torrents and have no incentive to do it .. unlike ISP's in the West who have serious pressure from Movie studios and content producers etc.

Edited by StandardIssue
  • Agree 2

On 10/17/2021 at 5:02 PM, stat said:

Is torrenting in Thailand still "riskless" from a prosecution angle i.e. need one to fear the police or lawyers regarding digital rights fines. Any particular internet provider better then the rest for "international" torrenting? Can one recomment a particular provider for a heavy internet user like me with an additional mobile package. Mobile I will use next to nothing. I just need a phone in case my car breaks down in the sticks or I need to send line or whats app.

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with using torrent clients, me thinks, per se.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

On 10/17/2021 at 8:18 PM, BritManToo said:

VPN not required in Thailand.

No laws enforced without money changing hands.

I've been downloading torrents for 10 years with never a mention.

Tv Series/Movies/games/music ........ just downloading Dune.

I never create torrents for upload.

Therefore....

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I never create torrents for upload.

Therefore....

When you create a torrent, all you really create is a small descriptor file that describes the content that you are willing to then share for those who wish to download it.  That small torrent file is what is stored on sites like Pirate Bay.  The Pirate Bay server does not store any of the actual shared files.  When you wish to download content, your torrent client will first download the descriptor file and then use it to connect to other users/computers that have the file containing the movie/program/book that you are seeking.

Most torrent client programs will be uploading pieces of the targeted content at the same time it is being downloaded piece by piece.  You normally can configure the torrent client program so it doesn't do any uploading.  I believe that if you don't actually upload any content it is more difficult for the torrent policing systems to determine that you are illegally sharing content.

12 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

When you create a torrent, all you really create is a small descriptor file that describes the content that you are willing to then share for those who wish to download it.  That small torrent file is what is stored on sites like Pirate Bay.  The Pirate Bay server does not store any of the actual shared files.  When you wish to download content, your torrent client will first download the descriptor file and then use it to connect to other users/computers that have the file containing the movie/program/book that you are seeking.

Most torrent client programs will be uploading pieces of the targeted content at the same time it is being downloaded piece by piece.  You normally can configure the torrent client program so it doesn't do any uploading.  I believe that if you don't actually upload any content it is more difficult for the torrent policing systems to determine that you are illegally sharing content.

Yes...

We, those who have used Pirate Bay for many years, understand how torrents work.

But, in the past, some sites actually stored the full content on their servers for some files...or....

Maybe you don't know the history of how Pirate Bay has changed throughout the years....?

Anyway.....

Long Live the Pirate Bay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the greatest humanitarian gestures of All Time!

On 1/19/2024 at 6:22 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes...

We, those who have used Pirate Bay for many years, understand how torrents work.

Don't know where you've been but The Pirate Bay has long since lost the torrent crown, it is now poorly managed, finding new releases is very hit and miss, and it is chock full of viruses and malware. Any self-respecting pirate would never in a million years use that site, anymore.

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, clokwise said:

Don't know where you've been but The Pirate Bay has long since lost the torrent crown, it is now poorly managed, finding new releases is very hit and miss, and it is chock full of viruses and malware. Any self-respecting pirate would never in a million years use that site, anymore.

arrr matey ye struck gold with that comment. 

i have 3 invites for a private tracker and my offer still stands. been using the same source since 2009 and not a single issue ever.

4 hours ago, johng said:

So who would you say is the best now ?

Here's a couple comparable public sites like The Pirate Bay, https://1337x.to and https://torrentgalaxy.to/. There are also, of course, specialty trackers (anime, pr0n, documentaries, k-dramas, warez, etc) and private trackers out there. Those you gotta search for.

Personally, I only torrent these days when a direct download is not available. Armed with an Alldebrid account, Jdownloader2 or a NAS, I can snag (nearly) anything I want - and be watching it - in a matter of seconds. Best of all, there is zero chance of getting 'busted' for piracy - though that's never really been an issue in Thailand.