Some Thai berry pickers earned what equals 15 years salary during the season in Finland

webfact

11 hours ago, henry213 said:

All Thai's can earn more when leaving Thailand, My wife earns 26 times what she did in Thailand.

Sounds like she didn´t worked at all in Thailand then! ???? Another explanation is that you are comparing what she made 30 years ago in Thailand, with what she makes in a foreign country today. We all know that salaries are very different as you try to point out, but you are really over exaggerating.

Today the lowest legal salary per day for a Thai is a bit over 300 baht, but let´s calculate with just 9 000 baht a month which is a very low salary in Thailand today.

In the foreign country you are talking about she will probably work Mo-Fr, or equal with other days off. Let´s say she have a yearly salary far over the US median and takes home 60k dollar per year. That is 5k dollar per month, which equals to 165 000 baht. After that we divide that by the lowest of low, where many make the double, 9 000. The result is that a 5k dollar salary per month would only be 18 times more.

Also if she makes a salary of 5k dollar per month, means she have an education that would give her a minimum salary of 25 000 baht. So, in reality the true story would be 6,6 times more. Also something that sounds more realistic. Something that is more realistic.

Ok, I do not know what she is doing. Maybe she make much more. If so, what she is doing would probably be possible in Thailand as well. Probably also something that would give her more than the salaries I have been taken into example.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a terrible article, just shows how the media love to fiddle the numbers!

Correct title for this;

''A 3 month season berry picking in Finland can earn you more than what an unskilled worker could earn in Thailand in a year.''

But i guess that sort of tile doesn't get people arguing and bickering on the Internet lol

Don't be played by the media.

Finland also imported 400 Thais this year with covid, so doubt those ones got anywhere near the 4,000 bucks

Edited by ed strong

14 hours ago, The Oracle said:

Blueberries grow on bushes - even trees in some climates - so I don't know what the woman in the photo is supposed to be doing.

I've picked many bilberries, blue berries and French myrtles. I'm sure she combing the low lying bushes to collect the berries, although I don't know which type.

You can buy 'myrtle combs' (that's my name for them) in the Alsace region of France where there is prodigious growth. It's like a scoop with long tines on it.

4 hours ago, henry213 said:

Don't do maths with me ok, i only write the truth, i'm not Thai!, here easy for you, got 15,000 month in Thailand now gets 300,000 - 450.000 month so 20-30 times, not 9-5 and we live wherever we want, all online............I say no more.............. 

What on Earth can a Thai do online for 450k baht a month?

53 minutes ago, matchar said:

Don't leave us in suspense, what kind of job is it...OnlyFans?

Well no, but the fact is lots of Thais and all are making good money with Onlyfans plus Youtube, patreon, and so on just need to know how, I learned years ago and now happy days, Too many here slag off but whatever i just laugh ????

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Sorry, I assumed she was Thai. I know some Europeans that have earned that much but never a Thai. 

She is Thai but you write like "Oh what a Thai" well she's with me not on her own so guided in the right direction then all is possible right?

Just to add her gross for 2020 was 5.5 mil baht right though the pandemic not bad for a Basic Thai right ????

Edited by henry213

My exwife live in norway now for about 13 years.She work in a factory that produce salmon.

Almost every thai here is working there.They work 8 hours a day,5 days a week.They make about 20 euro pr hour.I think they pay abbout 30% tax.Anyway they will have a good pension when they retired here.In june every year they get 10,1% av the whole year salary in their june salary.Sometimes their offered to work on saturday and sundays.The sunday salary is up 100%.If go see the doctor must pay about 30 euro.If u reach 290 euro in doctorbills in a year u get the freecard.Anyway if they have to stay in hospital or have a big heartsurgery its free.Even get helicopter to a bigger hospital is free.If the factory closing for a reason the goverment pay them about 120 euro a day for a period of 26 weeks.

If u get sick the goverment pay ur same salary until 12 months.The goverment pay about 170 euro a month pr child until the age of 18.After giving birth the goverment give 9000 euro if the mother is not working.Myself get a eyesurgery here.Changed both eyelinces.That just cost me 38 euro.

Yes,,we have to pay tax,but thats why we get benefits of loving here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stigar said:

My exwife live in norway now for about 13 years.She work in a factory that produce salmon.

Almost every thai here is working there.They work 8 hours a day,5 days a week.They make about 20 euro pr hour.I think they pay abbout 30% tax.Anyway they will have a good pension when they retired here.In june every year they get 10,1% av the whole year salary in their june salary.Sometimes their offered to work on saturday and sundays.The sunday salary is up 100%.If go see the doctor must pay about 30 euro.If u reach 290 euro in doctorbills in a year u get the freecard.Anyway if they have to stay in hospital or have a big heartsurgery its free.Even get helicopter to a bigger hospital is free.If the factory closing for a reason the goverment pay them about 120 euro a day for a period of 26 weeks.

If u get sick the goverment pay ur same salary until 12 months.The goverment pay about 170 euro a month pr child until the age of 18.After giving birth the goverment give 9000 euro if the mother is not working.Myself get a eyesurgery here.Changed both eyelinces.That just cost me 38 euro.

Yes,,we have to pay tax,but thats why we get benefits of loving here.

Norway is very lucky, all that oil and gas, with only 5.3 million population.

just imagine if they only had fishing.

• Like 1

You don't need to refer to Finland or berries to appreciate the contrast.  In any of the Western economies any minimum wage job would pay multiples of a Thai (or Malaysian, or Indonesian, etc) wage.

When I first lived in Brazil (early 2000s) the minimum wage was app. US$80, this for laborers as well as elementary school teachers.  Just about any "working girl" in Rio would have have jumped at the chance to get started in the US by making US$200/week as a housekeeper.  The fact that this amount would barely cover her basic living expenses, well, no one wanted to hear that.

21 hours ago, hioctane said:

Like most immigrants, they are scraping by and what is left over they send home to their family who are now able to live comfortably.

Most likely not comfortably - sad to say

13 hours ago, ed strong said:

What a terrible article, just shows how the media love to fiddle the numbers!

Correct title for this;

''A 3 month season berry picking in Finland can earn you more than what an unskilled worker could earn in Thailand in a year.''

But i guess that sort of tile doesn't get people arguing and bickering on the Internet lol

Don't be played by the media.

Finland also imported 400 Thais this year with covid, so doubt those ones got anywhere near the 4,000 bucks

The expected comparatives within this thread have been noted, yet moot.

Any examples only point to average unskilled labour types, where there is a greater percentage of the Thai workforce that make a rather comfortable wage and living. 

Edited by zzaa09

There was an Al-Jazerra feature on this.  Might still be findable on the news App.

I got the feeling that the program makers were insinuating a victim culture throughout.

It was certainly long hours and hard work on the Thai's side, but they were glad of the money at the end.

Many planned to return to Finland the following year to do the same all over again.

So, hardly slavery?

On 10/18/2021 at 10:26 AM, henry213 said:

Meaning?

If you think "all Thais" can make more money working outside of Thailand you appearently only hang around Thais who do very basic and low paying jobs.

Change up the crowd you mingle with, enough high income earners in Thailand who earn it completely legal by specializing in certain fields or running their own businesses.

10 hours ago, seedy said:

Economic slavery - it exists also, not just the ball-and-chain pickin' cotton kind

I think you are missing the point.  The Thai berry pickers (through very hard work, long, cold hours) are able to earn a fairly handsome profit.

They return to Thailand with their money.  Then CHOOSE (not coerced or forced) to go back to Finland.

This is economic migration work, not slavery.

Watch the program on Al-Jazera, like I did.