Even Now, as an Oldster, Do you still believe that you will die, not a natural death, BUT, as the result of Nuclear Warfare, or maybe one single Electromagnetic Pulse bomb (EMP) which will return us to the stone age?

GammaGlobulin

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I think MAD is off the cards ........

But I'm undecided between Zombie Apocalypse and Asteroid strike ...... maybe mass coronal ejection. COVID vaccine pushes me more towards Zombie Apocalypse (aka I Am Legend, The Omega Man). 

Planet of the Apes scenario might be more appropriate. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I wonder if this thread will get to be as long as the title?

One can also wonder if anyone knows much about the Keeling Curve, for example.

Also, do teachers teach the word "INTENSITY', as it relates to this curve.

1379700861_co2_data_mlo(2).png.55471a4332b3e24fde4bac05d61dbb73.png

The problem is that, as the atmospheric concentration of CO2 rises, then the oceans acidity goes up, as well.

And so, rising CO2 has this dual effect.

Therefore, which will do us in, first?

Will it be the death of the oceans?

Will it be the fact, that, as temperatures increase near the equator, then working outside (outdoor labor) will become intolerable due to dew point changes? 

Will it be a sudden climactic drop in species around the world?

Or, will it be, as is my guess, some Trump in Pakistan or some other country, who will lob MIRVS into the sky?

IF, we die by Multiple Independent Reentry Vehicles...then...maybe there is still hope for plant life on Earth, and also those of us who seek shelter in salt mines.

Nobody likes to talk about Global Warming or about MAD.

And, the more we don't talk about it, or teach about it, then the less likely we are to survive until the day we die a natural death.

By the way:  How many MIRVs do nuclear powers have, these days?

Here is a MIRV, if you have never bothered to look at one.

Most guys love missiles.

George C. Scott LOVED missiles.

LGM-118A_Peacekeeper_MIRV.jpg.b99a7ab7a3ebfa32d44cc757eeb18213.jpg

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The problem is that, as the atmospheric concentration of CO2 rises, then the oceans acidity goes up, as well.

Will it be the fact, that, as temperatures increase near the equator, then working outside (outdoor labor) will become intolerable due to dew point changes? 

Or, will it be, as is my guess, some Trump in Pakistan or some other country, who will lob MIRVS into the sky?

IF, we die by Multiple Independent Reentry Vehicles...then...maybe there is still hope for plant life on Earth, and also those of us who seek shelter in salt mines.

And, the more we don't talk about it, or teach about it, then the less likely we are to survive until the day we die a natural death.

Most guys love missiles.

LGM-118A_Peacekeeper_MIRV.jpg.b99a7ab7a3ebfa32d44cc757eeb18213.jpg

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

atyomicbombdrill.jpg.e8e72eb9d7d3bb896bf14a81c63252e2.jpg

Surprising that History is apparently not taught around the world, these days.

Instead, they teach Harry Potter.

This will bite you in the oss when you least expect it.

Those who do not learn from history....etc, etc, etc.

Schools, these days, are mostly manure.

When I was a kid in school in the early 60s, I asked the teacher how hiding under a desk would protect us from a nuclear blast....

She gave me a teacher's dirty look.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

When I was a kid in school in the early 60s, I asked the teacher how hiding under a desk would protect us from a nuclear blast....

She gave me a teacher's dirty look.

Infinitely more damaging than any nuclear blast.

1 minute ago, freedomnow said:

The joyful things retirees get think about on TV threads.

Will I drool myself to death or get vaporised in a country with no nuclear arsenal or direct superpower adversary.

...or worse.....the wife catches you in Nana (again)

2 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

The Doomsday Clock.

To: Leaders and citizens of the world

Re: This is your COVID wake-up call: It is 100 seconds to midnight

Date: January 27, 2021

Just enough time to have a quicky with the missus and down a Leo.

Does it have to be your own missus?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You mean...  No need to teach children anything about such things as the Keeling Curve?

Right.

Never plan for the future.

Never teach about various scenarios, based on consequences of different behaviors.

Never teach cause and effect?

Never teach about the consequences of the huge stockpile of nuclear weapons held by many countries.

never teach about the horrors of nuclear war?

Should we teach about the "miniaturization" of nuclear weapons, or the perfecting on nuclear weapons, or the continued research going full tilt at this moment.

By the way, have you ever heard of a guy by the name of Sam Nunn?

Tactical nukes...anyone?

So, you must be a teacher who never discusses with your students consequences of ongoing processes happening as we speak.

What kind of teacher are you?

Anyway?

When I was in school, and bearing in mind that WW2 had finished some 20 yrs prior, History made no mention of it or its attrocities.

We were taught about Henry V111 and Tudor times.

Never saw the point in that and never ever needed any of that knowledge in the 60yrs since either.

Teachers teach what the syllabus says they teach in my experience.

As for the "End", not in my lifetime but I envisage an Asteroid, Solar flare type scenario putting the lights out on this 3rd rock from the Sun. ????

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You mean...  No need to teach children anything about such things as the Keeling Curve?

Right.

Never plan for the future.

Never teach about various scenarios, based on consequences of different behaviors.

Never teach cause and effect?

Never teach about the consequences of the huge stockpile of nuclear weapons held by many countries.

never teach about the horrors of nuclear war?

Should we teach about the "miniaturization" of nuclear weapons, or the perfecting on nuclear weapons, or the continued research going full tilt at this moment.

By the way, have you ever heard of a guy by the name of Sam Nunn?

Tactical nukes...anyone?

So, you must be a teacher who never discusses with your students consequences of ongoing processes happening as we speak.

What kind of teacher are you?

Anyway?

I was once at a party and got into a discussion with a political scientist that started on about the "dangers of nuclear war". We all ridiculed her. 40 years later, IMO we are at no more danger of nuclear destruction now than then- perhaps less.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

My  10yo son cares about YouTube videos and Xbox 360 games ..........

You're easy going. I once lived with a woman that had 2 kids. I wouldn't let them watch more than 1 hour of tv a day, and had such existed I'd have banned them having internet, x box etc in the house. IMO childhood is when a child should be learning about stuff, not getting switched off by manufactured electronic garbage. Kids do have the ability to think, but when they are engrossed by electronic medium they ain't thinking, IMO.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was once at a party and got into a discussion with a political scientist that started on about the "dangers of nuclear war". We all ridiculed her. 40 years later, IMO we are at no more danger of nuclear destruction now than then- perhaps less.

When I was a High school teacher we only ever discussed the subject of the lesson.

If there was aver a class that discusses world politics, I was never asked to take those classes, so they probably didn't happen. I did teach reading, English Lit, German, French, Geography, Science, Math, Sewing, Cooking, Art, PE, and even workshop for the boys too naughty to be in real classes ........ not once was nuclear weapons  mentioned.

• Thanks 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

When I was a High school teacher we only ever discussed the subject of the lesson.

If there was aver a class that discusses world politics, I was never asked to take those classes, so they probably didn't happen. I did teach reading, English Lit, German, French, Geography, Science, Math, Sewing, Cooking, Art, PE, and even workshop for the boys too naughty to be in real classes ........ not once was nuclear weapons  mentioned.

As I recall, we did know about the atomic bomb, but we just didn't care about it. Having too much fun playing with conkers, or kites- stuff to do outside and not in a room watching a stupid electronic machine.

Never had any lesson ever that mentioned the subject or what to do in the event of a threat.

Teaching kids that hiding under the desk will save them from nuclear death is an atrocity IMO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How about preparing them for real life, which is full of unpleasant people?

Wouldn't argue with something along this lines of.......stranger danger....but not stranger danger AND he has a hand held nuclear weapon.

21 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:
22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I wonder if this thread will get to be as long as the title?

Most guys love missiles.

Why are you directing that tosh to me?