First batch of 560,000 Moderna vaccine doses to arrive in Thailand by Nov 5th

Jonathan Fairfield

4 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

So I took my chance and, at least for now, am out the price of dinner buffet for 2 at a nice BKK hotel ... and when the Moderna option opened up in late JUN there wasn't even any certainty that a farang could get a shot of Sinivac.

I think the deal was, if they couldn't deliver this year, you could have your money back.

4 hours ago, StanOgden said:

227 x 10k doses is actually 2.27 million so it will indeed be interesting to see how the initial 560k doses are dished out.

Anyway, where did the idea of 10000 doses per hospital come from? Some hospitals are little more than shophouses. Where are the aggregate numbers?

43 minutes ago, placnx said:

Anyway, where did the idea of 10000 doses per hospital come from? Some hospitals are little more than shophouses. Where are the aggregate numbers?

I think the 10,000 figure comes from the TPH. And not all 227 participating hospitals sold out 10,000 doses. Some could probably sell more, but right now this was the limit.

And yes, I did drop a zero multiplying 227 times 10,000. Still will be interesting to see how these initial tranches get apportioned.

Originally, I think TPH wanted all 1.9 mm doses - maybe to be delivered on three groups of 560,000 each. Then the TRC muscled in, saying they wanted 500,000 of these. In this cage match the TRC will win by default. The TRC initially claimed they would be providing these to "deserving" and "under-served" citizens. But then the army was rumored to be using the TRC as front, to supply their friends and family.

Hopefully TPH and TRC split these, but who knows?

This one was destined to be ugly. For many reasons, including the graft/skim, and for the fact that the regime could not allow private concerns to appear to outperform the "government". Now that the "government" has applied a decent volume of vaccines private paid options will eventually be allowed. Hopefully reliably by mid 2022.

The supply chain is, I think, Moderna -->Zuellig Pharma (??? baht) --> Zuellig Therapeutics (~900 baht) --> GPO (~ 1,100 baht) --> TRC (free???) or hospital (1,650 baht).

Zuellig built a robust low-temp storage facility out near SBIA/BKK last year.

Edited by mtls2005

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Will be interesting to see how these 560,000 doses get divvied up...between the TRC and TPH.

Private hospitals are said to be expecting 227,000 (227 hospitals with 10,000 doses), while the Thai Red Cross will get the remainder.

Any struggle would favor the the TRC which is essentially part of the government.

227 * 10,000 = 2,270,000 not 270,000 doses

6 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I got an email that asked for a code on our receipt.

Once entered it gave us our que number.

Something similar for you?

Screenshot_20211021-161934~2.jpg

You're pretty high up in the queue.

The wife got an sms last week.

She's 22 000 plus.

Different hospital.

3 minutes ago, Will27 said:

You're pretty high up in the queue.

The wife got an sms last week.

She's 22 000 plus.

Different hospital.

Did you have to fill out more information?

I just checked where we were in the que and did a screenshot.

44 minutes ago, Will27 said:

No, was just set an sms and a booking number which can check online.

Thanks.

I got the Pfeizer earlier so I'm giving my Moderna to my wifes mother.

Hopefully our families get the Moderna soon.  I'm supposed to travel with my wife in December, can't without her jabs.

Enjoy your week!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bradiston said:

I think the deal was, if they couldn't deliver this year, you could have your money back.

Getting your money back or any type of refund is practically impossible in Thailand.  For anything.

You could use it as a booster.  They said they could delay your shots.

This may be old news for many, but I was interested in seeing how all the vaccines out there stack up. Moderna, Pfizer and Astra Zeneca appear to be the top 3. Russia's Sputnik has also shown some good results, although there are questions in the scientific community as to how thorough and accurate the trial test results are. As for the Chinese vaccines...the results speak for itself as is not surprising.

UPDATED Comparing COVID-19 Vaccines: Timelines, Types and Prices | BioSpace

Another good data point is if one had the virus, recovered, acquired natural anti-bodies, and then had both jabs from the top 3, the research done so far indicates a more robust and longer lasting anti-body response and immunity compared to just having the vaccine and not being previously infected. Such immune system responses could last for years, and possibly even a lifetime.

Dr. Scott Gottlieb on Covid: Previously infected people would benefit from vaccines (cnbc.com)

7 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

I have yet to hear of anyone getting a free shot of Moderna.

The wife was going to get a free dose of moderna( a friend owns a company purchased shots for all the office staff ,one did not want it ,so she gave it to the wife)  but as it took so long getting here she did the same as me got Astra Zenica through mor prom,if moderna ever is available we will have a booster each,in a few months ,but not holding my breath.

18 hours ago, Kirb46Lam said:

Family and I are still still waiting for our first dose of Moderna. 

whenever that will be ?

I read a minister suggested a 3rd booster shot just recently for all Government officials in another newspaper. 

I bet that is where this first lot of Moderna is going 

So much for all the people who have paid for it 

Same here. My wife and mother in law were supposed to get their Moderna jabs on the 15th of this month. I told them don't hold their breath for 5 Nov

Interested to know which hospitals are sending you guys emails etc. 

In the BKK area ? 

We are up country 

We registered as a while family via my wife's sister doing the registrations/payments  all in Thai I guess.  I just had to give a copy of passport 

Will see if she knows of anything as yet 

6 minutes ago, Kirb46Lam said:

Interested to know which hospitals are sending you guys emails etc. 

In the BKK area ? 

We are up country 

We registered as a while family via my wife's sister doing the registrations/payments  all in Thai I guess.  I just had to give a copy of passport 

Will see if she knows of anything as yet 

We're in Chiang Rai.

Booking was made at Sriburin hospital.

We're in Chiang Rai.

Booking was made at Sriburin hospital.

We did our registration and payments when this concept first came out like months ago not recently 

We are in Lamphun

Just have to wait and see and get more info from wife's sister

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kirb46Lam said:

We did our registration and payments when this concept first came out like months ago not recently 

We are in Lamphun

Just have to wait and see and get more info from wife's sister

We booked and paid mid June.

I'm hoping to hear from Expatvac soon as well.