PCR Test for return to Thailand - 72 hours before departure or arrival of flight?

Scouse123

This problem raising its head again.

I have read the latest posted online rules and it states a PCR test, which the UK tends to call ' fit to fly test '  for travelling to Thailand must be taken within 72 hours of departure of the said flight.

I was always under the impression that the 72 hours was to be within the arrival time in the destination country. This is a ' hot topic ' and has been open to much different debate and interpretation.

I only want to know what is the actual facts from anybody that has travelled internationally, preferably across date timelines.

I am flying back to Thailand early morning on November 20th from the UK at 07.15am and arriving Thailand at 06.30am on Sunday morning November 21st. Bearing in mind the +6 hour time difference and the usual 24 ro 36 hours to get the test results.

I have therefore booked a PCR test for 12 noon UK time on Thursday November 18th. I dare not leave it any later with the time it takes to get back my results. I have based this on arrival in Bangkok not departure from the UK.

In this world of never ending goalpost moving, can anybody who has experience of doing this, give us the actual facts?

This helpful contribution by @Treetops may be of nterest. Also don'tforgetUKwillbe 7 hrs behind Thailand on 31 Oct 21.

'Airlines will check Timatic, the IATA system which defines what is required based on info from each countries aviation authorities.  For Thailand this says it's from the time the test result was issued, no mention of the time the sample was taken:

image.png.9a6049f1ed01dd63196214583b8c3ead.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sucit said:

What if delayed flight. Why can’t somebody get Covid between test and entering Thailand (in fact since they are traveling I would say it’s more likely). All So ridiculous. 

Possibility exists and that's why you have take another PCR on arrival.   Makes sense to me!

• Like 1

One thing to consider is where is your transit location?  I got a surprise because I am transiting in Singapore and they have PCR Test requirement just to transit.  Singapore’s transit PCR Test requirement is more stringent then the COVID 19 Test entrance requirement for the USA(Anti-gent or PCR test 3 days before departure).  Singapore’s transit Covid 19 Test requirement is PCR Test only and within 48 hours before departure.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I was always under the impression that the 72 hours was to be within the arrival time in the destination country

It has always been 72 hours from initial flight for Thailand. When they first allowed people back a PCR test could take 2 or even 3 days for results, then add flights that can take 24 hours. Within 72 hours of arrival would have cut a huge chunk out of the market.

That said, I believe there was a report from a BM who got tested on arrival due to timing of CPR (not sure what the deal was and he at least had no issues getting on the flight) perhaps he'll see this thread.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

One thing to consider is where is your transit location?  I got a surprise because I am transiting in Singapore and they have PCR Test requirement just to transit.  Singapore’s transit PCR Test requirement is more stringent then the COVID 19 Test entrance requirement for the USA(Anti-gent or PCR test 3 days before departure).  Singapore’s transit Covid 19 Test requirement is PCR Test only and within 48 hours before departure.  

Mine  is DOHA, No checks for transit.