SCG Stay Cool For Sound reduction

siam dreamers

Has anyone had any experience with using 15mm/6 inch stay cool and its effect on sound reduction. Our house has 6mm sheetrock and we are working to reduce noise coming in from the road. We are not able to use Rockwool safe and sound unless absolutely necessary due to the material cost being much higher. Any input is welcome.

I installed this in my roof, for insulation purposes.  I have not noticed any difference in sound levels in house.

Most of our neighbourhood sounds come via windows & doors - especially noticeable at present with imminent local elections - and numerous blaring loud-speaker cars.  

• Like 1

This house is right on the road with quite a bit on noise coming in from everywhere. Widow doors ceiling . At the moment the wood eves all around the house are open slat board with big spaces between each stat that is letting in an enormous amount of noise into the roof space that then comes down through a very thin ceiling. We are in no fantasy about getting rid of all the noise but just want to get it down tho a reasonable level. We are in the process on closing up the eves/soffits with cement board, leaving vents in the rear of the house furthest away from the noise, but will also insulate the ceilings  for any extra noise reduction and for the air conditioning that runs all day while we are there. The house has good thick glass with PVC window and if we were not directly ajacent to the road it would be much quieter. I purchased the house at a very good price with no other issues to work out except reducing the road noise during  the day. At night there are no problem.

A double suspended ceiling will help much more than insulation. 

Thick glass makes little difference. Double-glazed helps a good bit.

The first thing I would do is tape cardboard over the windows and door and see haw much better it sounds. No point in spending money on the ceiling if the noise is coming through the walls and windows, which is much more common.

Plexiglas on the fence along the road would probably help a lot, but might look tacky...

Thanks for the suggestion on covering up the windows and doors as another test.  I suspect a lot of the noise is from the ceiling because putting your head up in the ceiling is exactly like standing outside in the road and with a metal roof and the thinest sheet rock 6mm possible above my head I am pretty sure the eves and attic space is a huge megaphone. Of course I could be wrong and am willing to keep testing and working this out. So far I have closed up a good portion of the eves and will insulate. This happens to be a house with an open house plan that is extremely comfortable with the air condition on 29 degrees so even if my plan does not work the insulation should help the air con bills. thanks David

2 hours ago, siam dreamers said:

Has anyone had any experience with using 15mm/6 inch stay cool and its effect on sound reduction.

It will do little to reduce sound transmission.

Mass and more mass isolated from walls is the only way to do that. You can get sound reduction plaster board, it’s not completely clear that is that much better than than plasterboard stuck to the existing ceiling with acoustic reduction adhesive 

Thanks people for your advice and input. Happy to say that our first step of closing up the wood slat eves/soffits with 6mm scg cement board while leaving venting at the back of the house away from the road has reduced the noise in the house to more that an acceptable level, what I consider normal city noise. The next step will be to insulate the ceiling  due to the decrease in venting to retain the air conditioning. Any added noise reduction will just be a bonus.