Phuket To Krabi By Car

annetta

I will be based in Phuket during August but I would like to rent a car to go to Krabi and possibly stay a couple of day just to have a quick look, never been before....I think to rent a car will be easier than go with a package or with a bus from Phuket town but I look forward your advice as I never drove that long (180 km t Krabi), only regularly rent the motorbike in Phuket.

Thank you!

Annetta

That is one of the more pleasant, stress-free and scenic drives in Thailand. I would definitely encourage you to do it. Take a map as a lot of the roads are bi-furcated and it can be confusing. Also, you should be able to rent a car locally from a private party near where you're staying, no need to go with a car agency, though also no problem.

i agree with chintee. its a nice drive and relatively easy.

just rent a car from phuket. honda jazz is easy to drive and pretty zippy too. in august you should get one for about 1200 a day (i could be wrong here though).

Pleasant, easy drive and mainly excellent roads. You can get good detailed maps of Krabi at most of the usual outlets. Motor bike is not a good idea; aside from the inherent danger, rain can hit at any time.

Risk: No risk, there is 6 feet wide line for motorbike ride anywhere you go in thailand. I used to drive from phuket town to patong which is 30 minutes and back every day for six month. take the left line assigned for bike riding

Rain: you aren't in calaharai desert USA, this is thailand always there is a resturant or place to stop if there is a rain.

I ride my bike from Patong or Kata to Phuket town often. But I would no way think about driving from Phuket to Krabi on my bike. How anyone can compare a bike ride from Phuket Town to Patong with a ride to Krabi is completely beyond me........ :o

Risk: No risk, there is 6 feet wide line for motorbike ride anywhere you go in thailand. I used to drive from phuket town to patong which is 30 minutes and back every day for six month. take the left line assigned for bike riding

Rain: you aren't in calaharai desert USA, this is thailand always there is a resturant or place to stop if there is a rain.

6 ft wide line marked ?? Anywhere you go ?? ha ha ha yeah sure buddy !!!

Some of the dual carriageways and major roads have a marked hard shoulder (thats actually not an 'assigned' bike lane but like any road rule in Thailand it isnt followed properly) but its usually in disrepair, full of road debris and used as an undertaking lane by any lunatic that feels like it.. Ohh then theres always the oncoming traffic short cutting on the wrong side of the road..

Thanks a lot for all your replies.

I will rent a car anyway because we are 4 people, 2 are new to thai roads and don't want to drive a motorbike anyway...

As I always rented motorbikes I don't know the costs of renting a car.

If I'll choose Budget or similar, what a Corolla or similar would cost?

What about insurance full risk?

Thanks again,

Annetta

I you go wih Budget or Hertz or Avis, then insurance is not an issue as it will be 1st class. Prices more than the street independants, but for a 2 or 3 day hire it's well worth the extra money.

Easy to find rates, just Google the hire company name, then Phuket, and you will be presented with all the price optiones. :o

• 4 weeks later...
I you go wih Budget or Hertz or Avis, then insurance is not an issue as it will be 1st class. Prices more than the street independants, but for a 2 or 3 day hire it's well worth the extra money.

Easy to find rates, just Google the hire company name, then Phuket, and you will be presented with all the price optiones. :o

How about if the insurance cover everything, some of them offer additional 150 baht/day extra, but zero deductible in cases of car damage, is that what we need, right ?

Pls advise if I'm wrong before I confirm my car rent with www.ninecarrent.com ; as for 2 days rental, the difference can be 1000-1500 baht more if I take from Budget or Avis.