Entry Requirements Regarding Insurance

KhaoYai

Seems requirement are getting stricter, not easier.   I cam back when it was ASQ and simply bought the policy suggested with the CoE.  

Now I am in LoS on retirement visa , valid until July 2022, and extended to this date in July 2021.  Visa is Non-IM O which does not require insurance, and never asked for a Immigration.

Looking at insurance policy suggested in new Thailand Pass, I find an age limit of 75 yrs.  No use to me as I am 77 yrs.  is there any basic Covid policy for someone of my age?

MY fear is that Thailand is going to use this as a way of getting more money from every entrant, by extending the cover required from Covid specific to general health insurance.  Is this going to be the end of my time in Thailand?

On 10/30/2021 at 10:56 AM, lyskamm said:

interested to know that too, uh travellers can stipulate it.

From what I have read the TGIA scheme is not available to foreigners and Thais that LIVE in Thailand and if you have a Retirement Visa you live in Thailand so for me until the rules change leaving is not a problem its getting back in where the problem starts, age is the other factor here to comply with covid-19 requirements for re entry. Most UK companies insist that you have been a resident of the UK for a specific period before your application. International companies may have a different view but then you need to look at the age limit. I have looked on line at several Thai based insurance companies and banks, age limit seems to be 75 but non I have found include the covid cover. Then there is the quarantine cover whilst an PCR on entry cost to consider, the figure I have seen is 30500 bts at Novotel, a price which is more than the cost of the flight.

The current rules do not seem helpful to attracting tourists or supporting ex pats living here.

6 hours ago, Robin said:

Looking at insurance policy suggested in new Thailand Pass, I find an age limit of 75 yrs.  No use to me as I am 77 yrs.  is there any basic Covid policy for someone of my age?

https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

Covid Insurance till 99 years old.

Edited by kokopelli
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

All these people that had their COE rejected, how did they fly to Thailand? On a return ticket from origin or a return leg to Thailand? The important point being you need to understand the implications involved, your comment on travel insurance puts that in doubt.

You don't know their flight details, but I would suspect the latter.

Like many on this forum you are not prepared to think outside the box and cannot stand anything that does not fall in line with the TVF way of thinking. Trying to rubbish what gets said is the default option.

So now you're telling me how I think? 

I personally know a guy who's first COE was rejected by the Royal Thai Embassy in London and I do know his flight details - he was travelling on a KLM flight from Manchester via Amsterdam on a return ticket, nothing odd about that. His visa was a single entry Non O based on marriage which would stamp him in for 90 days but he was staying for 5 weeks I think.  He was told to get insurance for 90 days and re-apply!

I'm not thinking inside or outside any boxes, I just want clarity on what I need to have for my forthcoming trip.

I was also not trying to rubbish what you said, I was simply saying that as an extension holder, you may have been treated differently - your original post on the subject just said I was wrong.  The majority of entrants will not be on extensions, they will be classed as tourists.

Can we get back to constructive discussion now please?

On 10/30/2021 at 11:45 AM, AlfonsV said:

Sorry, I do not fully understand yet and what to do in my situation. I will enter on December 24 with visa exemption

Well no details have been given yet. However, if its the same as it was before, you will need to get insurance that covers you for the 30 days that the visa exempt entry will give you. 

I have just found this website which has some seemingly good rates for insurance (make sure you read the cover details regarding asymptomatic cover).  You select your country, age and the length of visa/entry. Entering my details for a 30 day stay the cheapest quote (with asymptomatic cover) was with AXA @ 2770 baht. There is one a thousand baht cheaper without asymptomatic cover - I think you'd be crazy to go for that.

https://AQ.in.th/INSURANCE

(NOTE: When selecting your country, the drop down list appears to be in alphabetical order, it most is but not entirely, your country may take a little finding - the UK is in the wrong order.

If you use that site on a mobile, trying to enter the correct duration of stay is very difficult - it takes patience ????.

There has been no official statement on the duration that the insurance must cover but I have been working on the assumption that it will be the same as last time - the insurance must match the period you are 'stamped in' for rather than the actual time you plan to stay.

However, the website above is stating that  'The insurance package must cover the full stay of the visa you will be entering on. However, if you have a return flight which is before the end date of the visa you are entering on, then you may use this date as your insurance end date.

Not an official source but maybe a little clearer - no mention of different policy for those on extension of stay though.

Edited by KhaoYai

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I have just found this website which has some seemingly good rates for insurance (make sure you read the cover details regarding asymptomatic cover).  You select your country, age and the length of visa/entry. Entering my details for a 30 day stay the cheapest quote (with asymptomatic cover) was with AXA @ 2770 baht. There is one a thousand baht cheaper without asymptomatic cover - I think you'd be crazy to go for that.

https://AQ.in.th/INSURANCE

(NOTE: When selecting your country, the drop down list appears to be in alphabetical order, it most is but not entirely, your country may take a little finding - the UK is in the wrong order.

If you use that site on a mobile, trying to enter the correct duration of stay is very difficult - it takes patience ????.

There has been no official statement on the duration that the insurance must cover but I have been working on the assumption that it will be the same as last time - the insurance must match the period you are 'stamped in' for rather than the actual time you plan to stay.

However, the website above is stating that  'The insurance package must cover the full stay of the visa you will be entering on. However, if you have a return flight which is before the end date of the visa you are entering on, then you may use this date as your insurance end date.

Not an official source but maybe a little clearer - no mention of different policy for those on extension of stay though.

I looked at this site as well but if you are over 75 its no good.

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I note that the insurance in that link is still for $100,000US.

The covid -19 insurance is good for the age but it is not available to foreigners living in Thailand, say on a retirement or marriage visa.

7 hours ago, nong38 said:

I looked at this site as well but if you are over 75 its no good.

The TGIA site covers people up to 99.

https://covid19.tgia.org/

The problem with both the above and the site I posted earlier is that they both seem Covid specific - which, depending on your interpretation of the new rules, may not be enough. The asq.in.th site says its ok 'to the best of our knowledge but this may be subject to change'.

https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

Again, lack of clarity from the Thai goverment - I wish they would just spell out what they want.

I guess we are just going to have to wait and see what's reported by the first entrants on Thailandpass - those entering for the next few days will no doubt be using COE.

Edited by KhaoYai