Bangkok to allow alcohol in restaurants but only until 9pm

Jonathan Fairfield

20 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

To serve alcohol a restaurant also needs to have an SHA (Safety and Health Administration) certification.

and I seriously doubt many small businesses actually have this ..... 

i am sure pubs and small bars won't have it

Welcome back international tourists, but you can't go to a pub, because they are all closed. 

Does the right hand know what the left hand is doing? .... that's a rhetorical question. 

By the way, wouldn't this be a great time to abolish the bizarre alcohol sales times? 

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Ho the <deleted> does what time you imbibe a drink containing alcohol "limit the spread of a virus" ?

These clowns are getting worse as each day passes.

I understand why they make these stupid rules.... Those in positions of decision making power think everyone is going to go to a restaurant, stay there all night, get drunk and then start mixing with everyone else - This ‘could’ happen in one or two places, but placing a booze time limit on every single establishment is just utterly moronic and highlights the utterly juvenile mindset of those in power. 

Its another puritanical brain fart.... 

The SHA approval is another idiotic policy. It provides an opportunity for officials (inspectors) to capitalise and ask for back-handers.

Small places (many places) will not be able to get it without paying a back-hander. It gives police an opportunity to extort those places which can’t get the SHA certification but want to keep their business alive. 

These regulations are wrong from pretty much every angle I approach the idea. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Ho the <deleted> does what time you imbibe a drink containing alcohol "limit the spread of a virus" ?

Not only in Thailand,  the suppression of the population has become an art in many countries.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I understand why they make these stupid rules.... Those in positions of decision making power think everyone is going to go to a restaurant, stay there all night, get drunk and then start mixing with everyone else - This ‘could’ happen in one or two places, but placing a booze time limit on every single establishment is just utterly moronic and highlights the utterly juvenile mindset of those in power. 

Its another puritanical brain fart.... 

The SHA approval is another idiotic policy. It provides an opportunity for officials (inspectors) to capitalise and ask for back-handers.

Small places (many places) will not be able to get it without paying a back-hander. It gives police an opportunity to extort those places which can’t get the SHA certification but want to keep their business alive. 

These regulations are wrong from pretty much every angle I approach the idea. 

Regulations for the promotion of corruption.

• Like 1

Bangkok to lift alcohol ban on November 1

By Paphamon Arayasukawat

e23a4ab40722c614f0a2e4d5cff8f1a4_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Bangkok Communicable Disease Committee has resolved to lift the ban on alcoholic beverage consumption in restaurants that have been certified with the SHA+ Standards; entertainment venues, pubs, bars, karaoke, and massage parlors excluded.

On October 30, 2021, the Bangkok Communicable Disease Committee made known its resolution to amend orders placed in Bangkok earlier, which bans the consumption of alcoholic beverages, to comply with the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA)’s recent orders to proceed with the reopening the country.

According to the announcement, starting November 1, 2021, measures in Bangkok will be further relaxed to allow more venues to resume their business operations, with service hours extended to 9 p.m. All businesses must still strictly comply with the government’s Universal Prevention and other disease prevention measures.

Nevertheless, the Bangkok Communicable Disease Committee also expressed concerns as the relaxation might pose a risk for a potential outbreak; therefore, operators of all food or beverage outlets are requested to keep up with the country’s new heightened sanitation standards.

All businesses can visit thailandsha.com to assess if their current standards meet the newly required SHA+ requirements.

nnt.jpg
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I have seen in unfold in real time in three countries.

Most people can sit at a table and quietly eat and "have a glass of wine with dinner". The later it gets the longer they stay the more they drink the more inhibitions are loosened. Soon the SHA+ rules are out the window.  They start talking loudly and the spittle starts flying. Anytime there is a standing bar atmosphere the guests move around. Then they interact with groups they did not arrive with especially if some nice looking women are around.  

Next thing you know a cargo pilot you don't know is slapping you on the back with "what airline you with mate?". He tells you he has been to China two times this week. You notice his constant dry cough and quickly flee the situation..

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I understand why they make these stupid rules.... Those in positions of decision making power think everyone is going to go to a restaurant, stay there all night, get drunk and then start mixing with everyone else - This ‘could’ happen in one or two places,

More than one or two  places I am afraid. 

I understand your frustration, I also enjoy a beer with my dinner and would leave it at that. But not everyone is as responsible, and you know that many bars are not as law abiding. 

If restaurants were allowed to sell  alcohol, but bars were not, expect every bar to become a restaurant. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I have seen in unfold in real time in three countries.

Most people can sit at a table and quietly eat and "have a glass of wine with dinner". The longer they stay more they drink, the more inhibitions are loosened. Soon the SHA+ rules are out the window.  They start talking loudly and the spittle starts flying. Anytime there is a standing bar time atmosphere the people move around. Then they interact with groups they did not arrive with especially if some nice looking women are around 

Fair point...  I too have seen that happen.... 

The behaviour you describe is that of the behaviour of those in a bar, not that of most people when they dine in a restaurant. 

Applying sanctions on the majority based on the faults of a minority is an unnecessary measure borne of dictatorial dominance rather than balanced guidance. 

Thailand’s decision makers seem to believe they can apply a King Canute approach - I’m surprised they haven’t simply announced a ‘Covid Ban’... 

4 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Next thing you know a cargo pilot you don't know is slapping you on the back with "what airline you with mate?". He tells you he has been to China two times this week. You notice the constant dry cough and quickly flee the situation..

You argued a good point until you make it silly.

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Fair point...  I too have seen that happen.... 

The behaviour you describe is that of the behaviour of those in a bar, not that of most people when they dine in a restaurant. 

Applying sanctions on the majority based on the faults of a minority is an unnecessary measure borne of dictatorial dominance rather than balanced guidance. 

Thailand’s decision makers seem to believe they can apply a King Canute approach - I’m surprised they haven’t simply announced a ‘Covid Ban’... 

You argued a good point until you make it silly.

It's a true story. Some countries I visited during the pandemic other than Thai curtailed alcohol sales during the pandemic. The bars here where I am in the US were closed completely for months. I can, you can, but many people absolutely CANNOT control themselves while drinks are allowed.

I sure dont believe in alcohol bans but I see how it could be a legitimate element of epidemic control if the goal is to limit interactions between people.