Suspicious charges: 1 baht debit/credit via PayPal (Krungthai)

I just got notified about these 3 movements:

31-10-2021 09:55:51 MASEC PayPal St              0.00
31-10-2021 09:55:51 MASEC PAYPAL 40             -1.00
31-10-2021 09:55:57 MASEC ATM Reversal of 1797   1.00

I have not used my card online in recent past, I do not have a PayPal account, I do not have any recurring payments setup with this card, I do not have any similar charges in past statements, IOW I can’t think of anything that would explain these charges other than my card details having been leaked.

Since there was news 2 weeks ago about 10,700 customers who had funds stolen via small debits, I figured I would call attention to this, and would be interested if anyone else has experienced the same.

For the records, I have now locked my card via my bank’s app (KTB Next) and no money was actually taken from my account, as it appears to have been a card check, although normally these say something like TEMPORARY HOLD or such.

• Haha 1

If this was someone trying to verify the account itself, the text should have been PayPal*1234 CODE or PP*1234 CODE.

When a third party uses PayPal as processor, the text will normally be PAYPAL «3rd party», so the above statements looks like the third party is “St” and/or “40”. For example I have these two old transactions for PAYPAL PHUKETSRCTR and PAYPAL OURJUNGLECA, because I paid these third parties, and their card processing happened via  PayPal.

Furthermore, the MASEC prefix above means that the debit was via my Mastercard.

Yes that is someone setting up a Paypal account to your bank account. I have a few paypal accounts that are used for my company and when you set up a paypal account they send 1p to verify the account. Paypal has introduced a new card that you can get cash advances from them. Not sure how it works because I do not want a loan so just delete it. I suggest you inform your bank and also Paypal fraud team just google pp and see how to aleart them

33 minutes ago, mvdf said:

One must be exceptionally vigilant these days. Ensure that debit cards are never linked to high-balance accounts and try, if available, to use low-balance cards for recurring payments or retail merchants where there is a high risk of POS machines being tampered. Double check ATM components prior to use as there may be covert attachments or skimming accoutrement. You can do this by lightly jiggling the card slot. Wiggle it from side to side to check if it detaches easily. Check for mounted keypads and overlaid PIN readers. 

Owing to the sophistication of today's camera technology, criminals are exploiting miniature spy cameras to capture and relay confidential secrets such as card PIN numbers. It's because of this that you should ALWAYS cover the ATM keypad with your free hand when prompted to enter your PIN. A healthy dose of paranoia never hurts and being financially paranoid is always better than living to regret it later.

I suggest opening a separate and unique account linked to your debit card for spending purposes. Reload or top up the account by transferring money into it shortly before paying for something. Keeping the balance as low as possible mitigates potential losses and ensures that, in the event of a breach, there is close to nothing for criminals to steal. Larger balances should be stored in accounts which are NOT linked to a debit card. Banks will open a second account when requested and you can specifically instruct them to NOT link it to a card. 

Never electronically store or email yourself or take pictures and store on your phone or save on the contacts app the PIN numbers of your cards. Apps can now track activities or information on other apps which is why this, again, is a golden rule: do NOT save confidential secrets on apps not designed for keeping sensitive information safely.

A reputable password manager (such as Dashlane, 1Password or Bitwarden) is an excellent investment for keeping sensitive secrets (including PayPal credentials!). Do not use the same password across all your email, banking, PayPal, social media and other accounts. If one account is breached, your other accounts are equally at risk of being breached. Password managers are capable of creating complex passwords which can take decades or centuries to crack by even the most powerful computers.

If you use crypto, always remember the one sacred rule "not your keys, not your coins" and never use dodgy or shady crypto apps to store your assets. 

These are difficult times. Protect your assets.  

Some people may say you're a little paranoid, but this is all sound advice. Financial theft always happens to other people, until it happens to you. ????

6 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Some people may say you're a little paranoid, but this is all sound advice. Financial theft always happens to other people, until it happens to you. ????

Yes indeed, I have to be very paranoid ????

Never give criminals even the slightest chance. 

250964888_Screenshot2021-11-0112_08_23.png.d3552e4fd142b21565cde5640ee5dcaa.png

Not a PayPal transaction, but this morning I received an SMS from Kasikorn advising me of a debit card transaction of 850 Baht to Facebook ads, it seems there was a 0 Baht authorization check yesterday and again today.

Whilst I use Facebook, I’ve never purchased from them and I’ve never heard of Facebook Ads or never used my card with Facebook.

KK cancelled the card and refunded the card fee, and say they will refund at some stage.

This is the second time I’ve had an unauthorized transaction, the last time was Bangkok Bank.

• Like 1