Retirement extension CM - bank account/without bankbook/statements only?

I managed to get an SCB Easy Savings (1.5% ≤ 2M) account opened after I got a Thai tax ID.

SCB doesn't provide a bank book with that account.

The statements I can request using the bank app don't show even the balance if there are no transactions in that month.

Just now I had the idea that I should at least send a small transfer to the account each 1st of the month to force a balance to appear.

I could try and get a letter from the bank stating that the initial 800K ฿ balance has been there every day since the original deposit.

That would be in addition to the normal bank letter provided for Immigration.

Anyone else in the same boat?  What have you provided to satisfy CM Immigration?

Has anyone been able to meet Imm's requirements using an account that provides no bank book?

Edited by gamb00ler
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yes, the problem is that the regulations require the IO to gather among other things copies from the bank book pages. I'm in Bangkok and what I have ended up doing the last two times, is I get the bank's hotline on my phone, prove who I am, then hand the phone to the IO for the bank to confirm that I'm real and the money is real and there, but that indeed they don't give out a regular bankbook. (Krungsri bank in my case.) I know it sound strange, but it has worked. The first time I was asked to write out a statement of the situation and sign it, in lieu of having the copies. Of course I had the letter from the bank made that morning. And a Thai gf with me, which makes a difference. But I'm thinking I may someday have to pay an agent a fee to help. Or just send the money to the US, because Thailand is a basket case and I could exist on tourist visas or visa exempt arrivals.

I will add that by now most IOs should have encountered this situation; but they are creatures of habit.

Edited by Enzian
add

37 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Has anyone been able to meet Imm's requirements using an account that provides no bank book?

Hopefully someone can confirm no issue.

You didn't think to check it out prior to using this type of account to show financial requirements for extension?

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

You didn't think to check it out prior to using this type of account to show financial requirements for extension?

I discovered the problem AFTER I transferred $30K US to the bank into a FCD account. It's working as I describe, but people should know this can happen and be sure to ask ahead of time.

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I still have a Bangkok bank fixed deposit account for my next extension renewal.  I'm just trying to get a better return with greater flexibility and easier maintenance and still cover all Immigration issues in the future.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Ask the bank to printout a statement when you get the letter from the bank to confirm your account. That should be enough to satisfy immigration.

It SHOULD be enough, and since because of Covid I was not able to travel in 2020 (with one exception in late Feb., early March), when I went for my renewal/extension which happens to fall in December, I had a last-day-of-the-month statement printout of each of the previous 12 months except one. But no bankbook. And the lady IO still resisted until I played the phone-the-hotline card, at which she relented and completed the extension. 

We all know we can get six different answers from six different IOs, so there is an element of luck involved. I'm still guessing the problem is the written regulations which tell them to collect photocopies of a bankbook, to be put with all the other copies of things which will never be looked at by human eyes again.

And since I left in July this year and have a return flight for early Dec., I won't have that collection of monthly statements, but will figure out something.

Edited by Enzian
more info

I am in the same boat , I opened an SCB easy savings account in Phuket and put 2 Million in there @ 1.5% .

I wasnt asked for a Tax ID though , like you say there is no book , I can order a up to date statement like you said that immediately gets emailed to me. 

When i do the retirement extension, I will ask the SCB bank for a 12 month statement and a letter that states this is an instant access account on line account that does not provide a bank book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll be shocked if immigration doesn’t insist on seeing bank hard copies…

the bank must produce them or the money doesn’t exist - that is how immigration sees it….they don’t want to be talking on the phone to “who in the hell are you and why I am talking to you?” 

I don’t care what fancy account you have…the bank will have to produce statement/letter showing you have the required money in that account on the morning that you apply in person at immigration 

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Confused 1

I have Citibank, no bank book. I get the statement for the past twelve months the day before I go for the extension. On the day itself I withdraw a small amount from an ATM and attach the slip to the statement. This has always been accepted.

• Like 2

A friend of mine had this problem in Chiangmai as he had the money in a FCD account at Krungsri   Yellow Bank) and there are only statement and no passbook.

He had to ask to talk to a supervisor at Immigration and was told to get a letter from the Bank Manager at his Krungdri Bank to explain there was no passbook.

He went to the bank and the Manager understood the problem and wrote a letter to Immigration in Thai language to inform them.

After many trip back and forward he go his extension.

Immigration Officer shouls be informed that not all account have the antiquated passbook now.

• Like 2