Expatvac - Booster doses

Golden Triangle

I finally had my 2nd jab of AZ yesterday at a Sriracha hospital courtesy of the expatvac programme, once I had finished and was ready to leave I asked the very nice lady in charge about plans for booster doses, she told me that as far as she was aware there were no plans for them to follow up with boosters via the expatvac programme, can anyone say if they know any different or are we now on our own ??

Thanks in advance.

18 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Once fully injected I suspect you will need booster injections forever

until you are the size of a sumo wrestler,

That (although vaguely funny) doesn't answer my question does it ? Are expatvac going to do booster jabs or not.

3 minutes ago, Denim said:

I had my second Pfizer jab on Friday in Petchabun with expatvac and asked the same question and got the same answer. Nothing planned yet. That might change but for now its wait and see.

Thanks for the information ????????

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I had my second Pfizer jab last week and asked about boosters.

They said 6 months and the hospital will contact me.

I would think the country will have plenty of vaccine by then.

A little bit off topic, my sister in the UK went for her booster jab last week but because she had had covid19 less then two weeks before, they refused to give it her

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

no plans

That sums up the governments vaccine rollout since day one.

Many who pre-ordered Moderns months ago will have the luxury of using that as booster if they've already gotten Pfeizer.

Or in your case Astra Zeneca.

You should be looking to pre order Moderna.  

Udon Thani Bangkok Hospital was selling "second"  generation Moderna coming out in 6-9 months on their website..

6 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

That sums up the governments vaccine rollout since day one.

Many who pre-ordered Moderns months ago will have the luxury of using that as booster if they've already gotten Pfeizer.

Or in your case Astra Zeneca.

You should be looking to pre order Moderna.  

Udon Thani Bangkok Hospital was selling "second"  generation Moderna coming out in 6-9 months on their website..

I have already paid for two doses of Moderna at BPH, they were primarily for the mrs as no decent vaccine for Thais was available at the time, then she was offered a slot on the British Chambers of Commerce (Thailand) as a dependant, we need to convert those two jabs into 2 boosters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have already paid for two doses of Moderna at BPH, they were primarily for the mrs as no decent vaccine for Thais was available at the time, then she was offered a slot on the British Chambers of Commerce (Thailand) as a dependant, we need to convert those two jabs into 2 boosters.

There recommending 1/2 dose when you use Moderna as a booster.

So you've got 4 booster shots if you have friends.

Also get the booster vaccine in the other arm.

"The Moderna COVID-19 single booster dose is half of the dose that is administered for a primary series dose and is administered at least six months after completion of a primary series of the vaccine."

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-takes-additional-actions-use-booster-dose-covid-19-vaccines#:~:text=The Moderna COVID-19 single,primary series of the vaccine.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pappap said:

If we have had the two vaccines before we came here, (UK Astra) and its 6 months since the second jab, anyway we can buy a booster jab here?

You will have to get in the queue then, you're number 3,500,642.  ????

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

There recommending 1/2 dose when you use Moderna as a booster.

So you've got 4 booster shots if you have friends.

Just to be clear, that booster dose guidance from the U.S. FDA pertains to people who have already been fully vaccinated with either the Moderna, Pfizer or J&J vaccines -- which a very tiny portion of the vaccinated population here in Thailand.

The FDA's advice didn't address at all, AFAICT, the potential use of Moderna and Pfizer booster doses for people who've been fully vaccinated with two doses of AstraZeneca, or worse, Sinopharm or Sinovac -- those three groups or mixed versions of them making up the vast majority of the fully vaccinated population here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just to be clear, that booster dose guidance from the U.S. FDA pertains to people who have already been fully vaccinated with either the Moderna, Pfizer or J&J vaccines -- which a very tiny portion of the vaccinated population here in Thailand.

The FDA's advice didn't address at all, AFAICT, the potential use of Moderna and Pfizer booster doses for people who've been fully vaccinated with two doses of AstraZeneca, or worse, Sinopharm or Sinovac -- those three groups or mixed versions of them making up the vast majority of the fully vaccinated population here.

Problem is that its the only viable booster for expats at the moment.

It's been used before with Astra Zeneca.

"The booster will consist of an mRNA vaccine, either Pfizer or Moderna. Henry said combining AstraZeneca with an mRNA vaccine has been shown to be very effective and long-lasting."

https://globalnews.ca/news/8341052/bc-covid-19-booster-astrazeneca-mrna-six-months/

5 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Problem is that its the only viable booster for expats at the moment.

It's been used before with Astra Zeneca.

"The booster will consist of an mRNA vaccine, either Pfizer or Moderna. Henry said combining AstraZeneca with an mRNA vaccine has been shown to be very effective and long-lasting."

https://globalnews.ca/news/8341052/bc-covid-19-booster-astrazeneca-mrna-six-months/

Ya, I wasn't disputing the value or potential effectiveness of a Moderna dose as a booster dose for those who have already been fully vaccinated with something else. I'm signed up for a Moderna booster dose (yet to receive) in the wake of two AZ doses.

Just pointing out, the dosing regimen and booster timelines that the FDA was presenting in your prior post weren't based on people who had previously received AZ, Sinovac or Sinopharm -- since none of those three have been authorized as yet in the U.S.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya, I wasn't disputing the value or potential effectiveness of a Moderna dose as a booster dose for those who have already been fully vaccinated with something else. I'm signed up for a Moderna booster dose (yet to receive) in the wake of two AZ doses.

Just pointing out, the dosing regimen and booster timelines that the FDA was presenting in your prior post weren't based on people who had previously received AZ, Sinovac or Sinopharm -- since none of those three have been authorized as yet in the U.S.

I totally agree with you.

In the meantime I've got the Pfeizer and like many others still waiting for Moderna for my Thai wife so we can travel in December.

With all the news of opening up its as if they've stopped mass vaccinations.  I wonder if they're running low or ran out of vaccines.

What a mess!

• Like 1

What do you mean by, "...are we now on our own?"?

How many injections are you wanting? Are you collecting inoculations? Or is it like masks: the more the better? I know someone who has had 4 injections of various substances. I'm sure if they introduce a new flavor here, he will get as many as he can. He's just a ramblin', vaxin' kind 'a guy....

18 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

What do you mean by, "...are we now on our own?"?

How many injections are you wanting? Are you collecting inoculations? Or is it like masks: the more the better? I know someone who has had 4 injections of various substances. I'm sure if they introduce a new flavor here, he will get as many as he can. He's just a ramblin', vaxin' kind 'a guy....

If you use the quote function people can see who you are responding to, anyway I believe your sarky reply was aimed at me.

No we are not collecting vaccines, it has been recommended that people receive a booster dose Appx 6 months after their 2nd jab, or had you missed that bit ?? That's why when reporting the daily figures they now include the numbers of 3rd doses given, or perhaps you missed that as well, do try to keep up.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

In the meantime I've got the Pfeizer and like many others still waiting for Moderna for my Thai wife so we can travel in December.

Last I saw reported here, the first round of the privately sourced Moderna doses acquired thru the Thai Private Hospitals Assn. were supposed to be arriving in Thailand as of Nov. 5 -- this Friday.

Let's hope the various participating private hospitals start spinning up their Moderna vaccination programs for those who have already paid to reserve a dose / doses soon thereafter.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Last I saw reported here, the first round of the privately sourced Moderna doses acquired thru the Thai Private Hospitals Assn. were supposed to be arriving in Thailand as of Nov. 5 -- this Friday.

Let's hope the various participating private hospitals start spinning up their Moderna vaccination programs for those who have already paid to reserve a dose / doses soon thereafter.

560k arrived yesterday. How many doses the Hospitals get remains a mystery.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

If you use the quote function people can see who you are responding to, anyway I believe your sarky reply was aimed at me.

Errr, there is no quote function on the original post. Didn't you know that? ????

Edited by Chris.B