Child smacking

eezergood

Are these your kids we're talking about or someone else's ? I believe it's legal to use corporal punishment in the home ie parents to children but certainly not in schools...although in the two schools I taught in...it was widely used.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I'm sure that there are better way ways to express your opinion on the matter other than retaliate in kind, if we all go around doing to others what they did/do to us or loved ones, where will it end?...

With a broken hand, apparently.......... that said I have never been put it the situation, so fear not.

As I said, lets close this thread now pls 

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Talk to the administrator at school and or teacher you kid is having a problem with.  Same at any school in any country.

Mine was having a problem with one teacher, and a standard punishment was shaving a part of their head, and she was warned if not 'in line' she would be punished.

I talked to the teacher and resolved it.  She figured best not to touch my kids head, unless she wanted her whole head shaved be me.

Simple solution to simple problems.

Not a school thing, was more of a general legal question - but Im with you on the tit for tat

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I am and will always be a proponent of corporal punishment in the home.  I hate going to a store and listening to some kid screaming and yelling and mom and dad just sitting there doing nothing.  A smack on the backside is not a bad thing.  I am against hitting with thick belts and anything that is overboard.

As to corporal punishment in schools I am divided.  As a boomer we had corporal punishment in the school and for the most part it was a 3rd strike affair.  It serves it's purpose if warranted.

As a teacher in Matayom classes I had to deal with students that did not want to work did not want to listen and just wanted to disrupt a class including breaking up a fight in a classroom next door while the Thai teacher kept writing on the board.  Corporal punishment in many cases was a deterrent either by having the teacher that administered it attend my class, sending the student to her or asking a student if she could go get Khun X.

The challenge is that there are times that teachers go overboard.  Shaving a head or stuff like that is extreme.  Also there are teachers that administer it with no remorse or for no real reason.

My question though to everyone that is against it is simple since the kids acting up don't care, the school has no way of detention or the possibility of failing the student, suspending is just giving them a holiday and more importantly most moms and dads could care less.

What is the solution?

What is the solution?       How about the withdrawal of privileges?

I am sure there is a law prohibiting hitting a child. In our village a couple of years ago someone caned a small boy for being naughty in his house. A couple red bruises were visible on his backside. When the boy's mother learned about she called police and demanded 50k baht to drop the charges. Ridiculous amount in Isaan, in my (and other villagers) opinion 5k would have been enough. The police promptly turned up and told the man if he doesn't pay they'll arrest him and put the case to court so he went around the village to borrow the money. The two families involved don't talk to eachother anymore obviously.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenneth White said:

Spare the rod and spoil the child. My butt was warmed many times growing up and I turned out to be a respectful person toward authority.

I got enough corporal punishment in the school systems back in the day.  You take your licks and laugh it off.  It was a rite-of-passage. 
However - regarding authority figures.  ????  From me authority only gets the respect they earn, and not many earn it in my esteemed opinion.  I have no blind respect for any authority figures.  Which could be why I got enough corporal punishment in the school systems back in the day.  ????

"How can you have some pudding if you don't eat your meat!"

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Thats nothing. I am currently writing a self-published book about what i would do if someone hurts my kids. So far i wrote 230 pages based on old torture techniques used around the globe in the past 3000 years. Still got at least 2 chapters to go because I need to cover laser weapons and nano-torture devices also. 

Clearly i am the bigger badass here!

clearly - frog & coconut shell 

15 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

I got enough corporal punishment in the school systems back in the day.  You take your licks and laugh it off.  It was a rite-of-passage. 
However - regarding authority figures.  ????  From me authority only gets the respect they earn, and not many earn it in my esteemed opinion.  I have no blind respect for any authority figures.  Which could be why I got enough corporal punishment in the school systems back in the day.  ????

"How can you have some pudding if you don't eat your meat!"

exactly - give resepect to earn it 

19 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Oh dear! We are not living in medieval times, are we. Sure one can understand you would be angry if a teacher hit your kid, but you haven't  really though this through? Retaliating  with violence against the teacher would only make you as bad as they are. what if the teacher was a woman? The police would be called and I am sure a night in prison might cool you down!

You go to the school complain to the head teacher and get an explanations  to what happened. You could get the police involved but they probably wouldn't want to. Get the teacher together with the headteacher and  explain that you will not allow your child to be smacked/hit in the future and get an assurance, maybe in writing. If you can't move schools!

Read the full post - I haven't done anything, nor have I had the need to so far. 

My question, stated clearly 2 times, was regarding the law & in the home corporal punishment. 

48 minutes ago, eezergood said:

Read the full post - I haven't done anything, nor have I had the need to so far. 

My question, stated clearly 2 times, was regarding the law & in the home corporal punishment. 

I did read the full post. Its very good you haven't had to do anything. My point was living in a civilized society you can't go around assaulting teachers, justified or not. You did state "Any teacher/coach that puts hands on my child will struggle to use that hand for the rest of their lives. " That is not a civilized statement.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 11/2/2021 at 9:36 AM, ezzra said:

I'm sure that there are better way ways to express your opinion on the matter other than retaliate in kind, if we all go around doing to others what they did/do to us or loved ones, where will it end?...

If I had kids at school the first time they started I would tell the school director if I ever found out any of their teachers assaulted them they would answer to me.

17 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

I did read the full post. Its very good you haven't had to do anything. My point was living in a civilized society you can't go around assaulting teachers, justified or not. You did state "Any teacher/coach that puts hands on my child will struggle to use that hand for the rest of their lives. " That is not a civilized statement.

An educator smacking a kid isn't civilised, nor should be even have to discuss it in a civilised society. Yet here we are - life is full of consequences, again I haven't been in the position to do so and my question was simply about the law.

On 11/2/2021 at 9:14 AM, eezergood said:

Any teacher/coach that puts hands on my child will struggle to use that hand for the rest of their lives. 

Sounds like a one way ticket to multiple destinations including deportation, Thai prison, revenge attack, or a significant fine.

On 11/2/2021 at 9:14 AM, eezergood said:

Hitting kids doesnt work 

Source?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Oh dear! We are not living in medieval times, are we. Sure one can understand you would be angry if a teacher hit your kid, but you haven't  really though this through? Retaliating  with violence against the teacher would only make you as bad as they are. what if the teacher was a woman? The police would be called and I am sure a night in prison might cool you down!

You go to the school complain to the head teacher and get an explanations  to what happened. You could get the police involved but they probably wouldn't want to. Get the teacher together with the headteacher and  explain that you will not allow your child to be smacked/hit in the future and get an assurance, maybe in writing. If you can't move schools!

I would certainly find it very hard to hit a woman, I would tell her to lead the way to the school directors office, but a guy, yes, if he assaulted my kid I would most certainly let him have it if there were no witnesses, and it does not make me as bad as he is as I would not assault anyone who was incapable of hitting back.

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I would certainly find it very hard to hit a woman, I would tell her to lead the way to the school directors office, but a guy, yes, if he assaulted my kid I would most certainly let him have it if there were no witnesses, and it does not make me as bad as he is as I would not assault anyone who was incapable of hitting back.

agreed ! 

• Thanks 1