Thai Airways hopes to return to operational profit in two years

webfact

On 11/2/2021 at 4:17 PM, tomazbodner said:

Last time, Piyasvasti Amranand, chairman of the Rehabilitation Plan Administrators, was chairman of Thai Airways, he did just that and got promptly replaced. His reign was also the only time in recent history that Thai Airways was profitable.

Hence there could not be a better man in charge of TG than this. But of course, what happens when hi-so no longer get free 1st class tickets and what strings they are capable of pulling to get their "benefits" back is another story...

These hi-so as mentioned are very powerful 'self entitled' people who are selfish and they know well how to delete any hindrance to achieving their selfish wants. Been like this for many years and not likely to change. New 'managers' who get in their way very likely to be quickly removed.

I wonder if there's any recent data about numbers/monetary value of freebees and the 'types' of people who get the freebees? 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, soi3eddie said:

Just 7 passengers in front cabin business class from London today. I would say they've got a very long way to go to profitability. Service was nice though. 

Care to comment on what the price was for that. I have always been put off Thai mostly by the London transit, but also a rather expensive Biz Class too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Care to comment on what the price was for that. I have always been put off Thai mostly by the London transit, but also a rather expensive Biz Class too. 

£829 full flex economy roundtrip bought in Jan 2020 for Nov/Dec 2020 but extended for 1 year to use now. Used free gold award upgrade but had to pay extra £298 taxes and charges. Would never buy business class with Thai as it's nearly £3,000.

I use the following as a screenshot to highlight one of the major problems at Thai airways.

They had a Boeing777 ETOPS, a plane that is designed to fly reliably over large areas of open water. For 16 years that plane flew Bangkok Phuket Bangkok twice a day. The plane was sold to a German freighter conversion company in 2019. The MD of the company could not believe that the aircraft only had a flight utilization time of 39%. To put that into context some US carriers can get high 80's to low 90's utilization. Thai airways have lots of aircraft that few around 40 to 50 percent pre covid.

3 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

£829 full flex economy roundtrip bought in Jan 2020 for Nov/Dec 2020 but extended for 1 year to use now. Used free gold award upgrade but had to pay extra £298 taxes and charges. Would never buy business class with Thai as it's nearly £3,000.

Thanks.... I usually go Emirates or Qatar via Manchester. As you say, Thai are expensive up front.

• Like 1