Anyone know what the police can give you when you get a replacement driving licence

Regain

On 11/3/2021 at 9:04 PM, Will B Good said:

Mmmm......call me crazy, but I would have gone for my new one BEFORE the old expired.

Hey there Crazy, there's plenty of people that got stuck out of Thailand because of Covid-19 and their license two/five year period expired while they were stuck out of Thailand. Still happening I'd think. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That doesn’t work as the license database is country wide. How else could you renew your license at any DLT office?

Although you could renew at any DLT office, I find it hard to believe their database is that why?  The can even track drivers violation you go to majority of the police stations they are still writing things in a log book

Like I said I believe there was a communication problem you don't need to go to the police actually for what!  If as you say there is a data base then anyone working can just obtain the information that it has expired in their database. Your starting all over again just turn in the required paperwork as if you are applying for the first time say nothing let them figure it out?  That is of course up to you!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, thailand49 said:

The can even track drivers violation you go to majority of the police stations they are still writing things in a log book

Just because information is hand written into a log book doesn’t stop it being entered into a nation wide database, does it? Case not proven

Like I said I believe there was a communication problem you don't need to go to the police actually for what! 

The requirement for a police report of a lost license goes into the police database.
Why it’s required? IDK IDC bureaucracy? Maybe. Because TIT?

If as you say there is a data base then anyone working can just obtain the information that it has expired in their database.

There is, they can, they do. They require the old license (or police report of its being lost) to physically invalidate it.

Your starting all over again just turn in the required paperwork as if you are applying for the first time say nothing let them figure it out

As I said, some people have had success. Others have had no success. Why? IDK probably those with no success were found in the database & those who weren’t either weren’t found or the issuing official didn’t look.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2021 at 8:29 PM, Regain said:

I went to the Police dept, they said go to immigration for a police check. Immigration then told me to go to the police to do it.

????

I don't think immigration do police checks. You need to go to the police.

IS THE DLT OPEN IN CHATUCHAK??

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Just because information is hand written into a log book doesn’t stop it being entered into a nation wide database, does it? Case not proven

The requirement for a police report of a lost license goes into the police database.
Why it’s required? IDK IDC bureaucracy? Maybe. Because TIT?

There is, they can, they do. They require the old license (or police report of its being lost) to physically invalidate it.

As I said, some people have had success. Others have had no success. Why? IDK probably those with no success were found in the database & those who weren’t either weren’t found or the issuing official didn’t look.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time quoting my post step by step to prove something!  You aren't going to change my mine here you have your opinion and experience and from my own I've not seen any of the stuff you mentioned maybe in Bangkok but not in the real world outside of it and I'm not living in a hole. Here is one of my experience last year we went up to my wife village farm and I mean farm but not the nearby city her mother wanted to make the distribution of her land to the brother and sister official at the office inside there wasn't one computer everything was still on log books and they were still using one of two type writers.

You wasting your time here as I noted but it is your time as I noted you opened that door?  Lost license!  why report it even if it was found most likely a Thai you think they going to be walking around using it!  Move on buddy!  by doing that you might have a license one day soon?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Lost license!  why report it even if it was found

Depends on provinces DLT's not just what you experienced.

You wouldn't get a replacement DL if you had already got one from our DLT you would need a report from the local police to say you had reported it lost. 

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Here is one of my experience last year we went up to my wife village farm and I mean farm but not the nearby city her mother wanted to make the distribution of her land to the brother and sister official at the office inside there wasn't one computer everything was still on log books and they were still using one of two type writers.

What has family land transfer got to do with the the RTP, different department or LTO, another different department? 

Some day you may understand just how different and insular different departments are in the Thai bureaucracy.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Depends on provinces DLT's not just what you experienced.

You wouldn't get a replacement DL if you had already got one from our DLT you would need a report from the local police to say you had reported it lost. 

Think about what you just said? " depends on the provinces DLT not just what you experience. You want it both ways?  " You wouldn't get a replacement DL if you already got one from our DLT " not sure what that suppose to mean? 

That is the point I'm trying to make to the guy as you noted it could depend on the province? That since his license had already expired and pass the point of being able to renewal without starting the process all over again should have said as little as he could particularly he lost it that just opened a can of useless worms in my opinion. Plus does my experience count or should I assume what I experience don't count in your eyes if that is the catch you wouldn't mind me counting out your experience " it depends on the province "!

7 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

What has family land transfer got to do with the the RTP, different department or LTO, another different department? 

Some day you may understand just how different and insular different departments are in the Thai bureaucracy.

OK I get it DLT transport is closed for the weekend so you got nothing better to do and still can't get your license and most likely won't get it anytime soon the way you going!  I try to give you a simple example basically to explain things aren't the way you think it works or should work that everything is link together basically one search should give it all to you!  If you think Thailand has that capability I'm not going to continue to debate with you endlessly the reality I already got my license just trying to give you another route but at this point your ego is in the way there is nothing I can say to you that going to change anything. So come Monday go to the nearest police station and make your report and hopefully you can move on from the conversation.

" Someday I might understand how insular different departments are " tough to understand this statement coming from you which is the reason I gave you the example. I think I understand it much better than you if things are so great with the DLT system I wonder why they have the problems with their driving as they do? 

Good luck!

Edited by thailand49
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Think about what you just said? " depends on the provinces DLT not just what you experience. You want it both ways?  " You wouldn't get a replacement DL if you already got one from our DLT " not sure what that suppose to mean? 

That is the point I'm trying to make to the guy as you noted it could depend on the province? That since his license had already expired and pass the point of being able to renewal without starting the process all over again should have said as little as he could particularly he lost it that just opened a can of useless worms in my opinion. Plus does my experience count or should I assume what I experience don't count in your eyes if that is the catch you wouldn't mind me counting out your experience " it depends on the province "!

Please ya self no point explaining anything to the likes of you.

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

OK I get it DLT transport is closed for the weekend so you got nothing better to do and still can't get your license

Just a FWIW I am currently on my 3rd set of licenses renewed 5 months ago that expire in mid 2027 and first issued 8 years ago

You really should learn to read a thread before making it clear how little you attention you pay to it, and how little you actually understand what is written. But then as you are inventing ideas, that you attribute to me, that are fanciful I probably shouldn’t hold out much hope.

The longer I read this thread the less I understand. 

As near as I can tell you had a Thai driver's license that expired years ago.  You want to get a new Thai driver's license.  You need to start from scratch (you can renew an expired license up to a year after it expires, beyond that you start from scratch).  Go to the Land Transport Office (LTO) and apply for a Thai license.  If you have valid foreign driver's license you may use that to skip the written and practical driving tests.  If you don't you'll have to do all the tests.  

If in the process of doing the above they mention that there's a record of you having a previous Thai driver's license, if you no longer have it in your possession (as in on your person) then tell them it is lost.  If they want you to go to the police station to report it was lost, do that and tell the police officer that you lost the driver's license in Thailand (that's very important, it was lost in Thailand).  They will write you a report of a lost license, which you take back to the LTO and continue the process of applying for a new Thai driver's license.  

If you tell them any other story about your former Thai driver's license you are going down a path you don't want to go down.  The license was lost in Thailand, you filed a report with the Thai police, that's the end of it.  The license is not still maybe in England, it wasn't lost in England, it has nothing to do with England.  It was lost in Thailand.  The police can write you a report if the license was lost in Thailand.  They can't and won't do squat for you if you tell them it's maybe in England or it was lost in England.  Keep it simple.  Enjoy the rest of your life.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, skatewash said:

you can renew an expired license up to a year after it expires, beyond that you start from scratch

Not quite correct between 1 and 3 years expired you are only required to do the theory test. It is over 3 years that that you have to do the driving test as well.

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2021 at 1:45 AM, JCP108 said:

Reminds me of wife and I trying to register our U.S. marriage in Thailand. Local Amphur wouldn't register our marriage until it had a special stamp from what hereafter will be called Office A. We went to that office and were told that they would not stamp it until Office B put a stamp on it. Went to Office B and they said no stamp until Office A stamps it. Went back to Office A where we were told no stamp until Office B stamps it. Went back to Amphur and was told that it didn't matter...marriage couldn't be registered without the stamps. We gave up. 

A Thai amphur can not register a marriage that has already happened in another country. They can only register a marriage that has occurred in Thailand.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

A Thai amphur can not register a marriage that has already happened in another country. They can only register a marriage that has occurred in Thailand.

Semantics is important here. 

Yes you can and do register a marriage that has taken place in another country in an amphur. 

No the amphur does not register a marriage that has taken place somewhere else in Thailand.

The amphur performs the marriage and registers the marriage they have performed on the National database 

The amphur can issue a KR2 for any Thai marriage (That has been correctly entered in the National database)
To get a KR22 you may have to go to the amphur where you registered your foreign marriage (I married in Thailand so don’t have that much detailed information on the KR22)

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Just a FWIW I am currently on my 3rd set of licenses renewed 5 months ago that expire in mid 2027 and first issued 8 years ago

You really should learn to read a thread before making it clear how little you attention you pay to it, and how little you actually understand what is written. But then as you are inventing ideas, that you attribute to me, that are fanciful I probably shouldn’t hold out much hope.

Then maybe wake up and actually see what day it is?  Then why are you bitching and whining and taking over the thread as if you were the original poster! You brought the conversation to this point not me!

Edited by thailand49

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

We were told that to get a marriage extension visa, we would have to register our marriage (which took place in the United States) in Thailand. That's how we ended up at the amphur trying to "register" it. Madness ensued.

14 hours ago, thailand49 said:

OP is in Pattaya, he wont be getting a new licence without the report saying the old one is lost.

Might differenet in other provinces buts how it works in Chonburi.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Then maybe wake up and actually see what day it is?  Then why are you bitching and whining and taking over the thread as if you were the original poster! You brought the conversation to this point not me!

Typical diversion tactics by someone to arrogant to admit that they don’t have a clue, can’t follow a thread to understand what is being said and is so out of it doesn’t know who they are whining about.

Also believes that any office in Thailand always works in exactly the same way as other offices, that a local land transfer (quite likely NS2 if not a NS1) is of any relevance to driving licenses or the RTP.

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

We were told that to get a marriage extension visa, we would have to register our marriage (which took place in the United States) in Thailand. That's how we ended up at the amphur trying to "register" it. Madness ensued.

Regrettably that is not an isolated occurrence. Thai bureaucrats have an amazing talent for sending people on such a wildly varied Catch 22 trip to completely avoid doing something they don’t want to without ever having to refuse to do it.

The upside is that every amphur can do many things their own way, so if they want to can make things easy, AFIK you can register at any amphur so a more foreigner friendly one is probably available. It is quite likely that the Lak Si Ket town hall will be easier, as being close to the MOFA office they get far more foreign people using their services. I can’t be sure but when SWMBO and I used them 16 years ago there were 3 foreign/Thai couples that afternoon.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Yes you can and do register a marriage that has taken place in another country in an amphur. 

Two different couples I know, one married in Panama and the other in Spain were unable to register those foreign marriages with the Banglamung Amphur. They weren't given any extended paperchase options. It was simply a case of 'cannot' based on the fact (as they saw it) that a couple cannot get married twice to the same person while the first marriage is still standing.

YMMV

9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Typical diversion tactics by someone to arrogant to admit that they don’t have a clue, can’t follow a thread to understand what is being said and is so out of it doesn’t know who they are whining about.

Also believes that any office in Thailand always works in exactly the same way as other offices, that a local land transfer (quite likely NS2 if not a NS1) is of any relevance to driving licenses or the RTP.

I don't have a problem admitting I'm wrong based on the way you were going I decided to go back to double check who was actually the ops? I will be the first to admit I start off reading the thread after I respond rarely do I ever remember who was the original poster. In this case I went back and I will clearly admit I was wrong but don't get your hopes up?  When and the way you responded and continue to go on and on without going back I actually thought you weren't the ops but basically took over the conversation.

You own arrogance and stubborn as a mule forget people have different opinions based on their experiences and respond to others based on it that is what I was doing responding to you doesn't make you wrong or right I just don't agree with it I do actually see you point the point you are missing is just because I don't doesn't me wrong or right and your point of going on and on because you just didn't like or agree that is the problem with this conversation.

If you feel every office in Thailand works the same way you go ahead and believe that but for me from my experience and the police who lives next door to me in Nongprue, Pattaya works out of the station that isn't the case. I personally find it hard to believe that every office is run the same or connected under one system? 

Now that I do have a clue who is actually the ops majority of the stuff I said really doesn't change but I won't get so upset to start calling names like I said I got all day for this type of stuff!

5 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

OP is discussing renewing an expired license. No discussion of loss is relevant.

A licence he cannot produce so to formalise the paperwork of getting a new one (not a replacement or renewal) they require a police report stating it has been lost.

I suspect if the OP jus showed up to get a licence without mention of the old one things would be different, even more so if the OP has a new passport  his passport number linked to a licence would not be in the system.