Expired Passport (Thai Citizen)

A friend of mine is living with his Thai Wife in Switzerland.

She forgot to look at her Passport validity and it's expiring soon.

Now they want to both come to Thailand for New Year's and she is worried that she can't fly to Thailand because her Passport doesn't have a 6 Month validity upon arriving in Thailand as it's expired by then.

I suggested to them, "because she is Thai it doesn't matter and she can even arrive on a expired Thai passport".

Was I correct??

TiA

Edited by MJCM

There is no 6 month validity requirement for Thais. As said she can enter with a expired passport in normal times but that has changed due to the covid 19 requirements for entry.

The 6 months for non Thais only exists for those from certain countries.

• Thanks 1

Less than 6 months validity won’t be an issue for a Thai National.

Theoretically, Thailand will not refuse entry to a Thai National with an expired passport (under normal conditions - that may be different under Covid-19 times with CoE / Thailand Pass).

She’ll be able to renew her Thai Passport from within Thailand. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Won't the airline be a problem in this case?

So the question is, will an airline board a passenger with an expired passport?

I am aware of some airlines accepting a expired Thai passport.

But as I wrote before due to covid 19 she would not be able get a Thailand Pass and etc with a expired passport.

Embassies and official Thai consulates with issue emergency passport or a certificate of identity if the passport is expired. No long wait to get them like there is to get a new passport.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Oke just thinking/guessing here (sorry)

Won't the airline be a problem in this case?

So the question is, will an airline board a passenger with an expired passport?

Normally a Thai citizen can board the plane and then enter Thailand even if their passport has expired. Under present circumstances, covid, there might be questions asked. Local Thai embassy should have the answers.

My feeling is that covid test pre-flight will be the important point.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But as I wrote before due to covid 19 she would not be able get a Thailand Pass and etc with a expired passport.

Embassies and official Thai consulates with issue emergency passport or a certificate of identity if the passport is expired. No long wait to get them like there is to get a new passport.

Thx Joe, She already talked to the Thai Embassy and the next available slot for her to Apply for a passport is somewhere in January, so another 2+ months wait and she was supposed to fly in the middle of next month (December)!

I will relay the info and see if (maybe) the embassy can issue an emergency passport! But yeah Covid checks etc is another hurdle for her.

Thx!!

24 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I will relay the info and see if (maybe) the embassy can issue an emergency passport! But yeah Covid checks etc is another hurdle for her.

There no maybe about it. They will issue a emergency passport or a certificate of identity that proves she is a Thai national if the passport is expiring before she enters the country.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There no maybe about it. They will issue a emergency passport or a certificate of identity that proves she is a Thai national if the passport is expiring before she enters the country.

Thx Joe,

I already send a message to them to ask the Embassy to issue an Emergency Passport!

Will report back when I get more info!

• 8 months later...
On 11/3/2021 at 9:13 AM, ubonjoe said:

Back in June 2022, my Thai wife with an expired Thai passport ( exp Jan 2022 ) applied for a Thai Pass which was approved and issued with speed.

An expired Thai passport was a non issue....

Hope this helps someone... 

7 minutes ago, FARANG KIWI said:

Back in June 2022, my Thai wife with an expired Thai passport ( exp Jan 2022 ) applied for a Thai Pass which was approved and issued with speed.

Things changed late last year when they starting using the Thailand Pass. When the embassies and official consulate were doing the Certificate of Entry is when the expired passport problems occured.