Isuzu D-Max advice.

dagling

I want to buy a 4 door Isuzu D-Max (new model), not used one.
But is there anyone who can help regarding how big a difference there is between a 1.9L and 3.0L when it comes to everyday driving, as well as overtaking? Does the 3.0L provide a better driving experience than the 1.9L?

The 1.9L sound a little small in such a large car? 1.9L is a bit cheaper than 3.0L, but this is of a little less importance, would rather buy a car that I know I can be happy with, than end up making the wrong choice in terms of engine size.

All help is gratefully accepted.

dmax.jpg

Edited by dagling

I've had a 3-litre turbo D-Max for 12 years from new. I would have bought the 2-litre but I wanted an automatic in my old age. The power is, as Rolls-Royce used to say, 'adequate', and when you need it there's plenty for overtaking, etc. It's amazingly comfortable on long trips, a good 'GT'. The only thing I don't like about it is the very poor turning circle, so it's not the best for parking and U-turns.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I don't know how much weight difference there is, but the 1.9 engine in the Mux (should be the same engine I guess) feels underpowered to me when overtaking.

Well learn how to drive a smaller cc vehicle nothing wrong with the power floored in 4th.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well learn how to drive a smaller cc vehicle nothing wrong with the power floored in 4th.

The Mux is of course Automatic, I forgot that many Pickups are manual. By putting it in a low gear manually when you need the power it might understandably work a bit better.

It does of course also depend how fast one likes to go, if hardly ever going over 100km/h then it probably doesn't matter much.

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

The Mux is of course Automatic, I forgot that many Pickups are manual. By putting it in a low gear manually when you need the power it might understandably work a bit better.

It does of course also depend how fast one likes to go, if hardly ever going over 100km/h then it probably doesn't matter much.

The auto can be used as a manual unless things have changed since my Vigo auto..

My truck is manual.

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The auto can be used as a manual unless things have changed since my Vigo auto..

Yes, sure, that's possible, but I don't want to change gears manually in an automatic car.

I go 100km/h, want to go faster to overtake, floor the gas pedal (car shifts down a gear, whatever gear that is then, it doesn't tell in automatic mode), and there is just not much acceleration coming. Which is why I said that to me it feels under powered when overtaking.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

Good choice Isuzu.. The 1.9lt Diesel has heaps of power and cheap to run. Honestly there are not that many big hills in Thailand...Are you going to tow a caravan or trailer???!!!! There is always the Eco Button you can turn off if you really need that extra grunt..! My vote 1.9lt hands down...

I have a 2012 Isuzu with the 2.5L, wouldn't want a smaller engine. If it was me I'd go for the 3.0L. Can't see the downside of having the larger engine. Certainly fuel consumption shouldn't be a deciding factor. 

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Like 1

The 1.9L D-Max is very popular with farmers in the UK - pretty good towing capacity at 3.5t.  It has only about 10% less torque than the old 2.5L engine (360Nm as against 400Nm) and is actually a fraction more powerful in terms of BHP.  Revs well and pulls pretty well in my experience.  Hard to say how robust it will be in the long term, but Isuzu do have a good reputation.

My feeling is that if you are using the vehicle as a car then it will be absolutely fine, but if you are regularly towing heavy loads or carrying heavy payloads on the deck then go for the 3.0L.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

Yes, sure, that's possible, but I don't want to change gears manually in an automatic car.

I go 100km/h, want to go faster to overtake, floor the gas pedal (car shifts down a gear, whatever gear that is then, it doesn't tell in automatic mode), and there is just not much acceleration coming. Which is why I said that to me it feels under powered when overtaking.

OK yes I understand where you're coming from the 1•9 Vs 3•0 in auto will be a different in kick down. 

If I drove the 1•9 auto I would use the auto shift manually to get a better response.

With our manual 6 speed shift you need to use the available 4200 revs more than you would a 3•0.

1st is only really needed fully loaded.

In 2nd put your foot down and the rear wheels spin and in the wet can be dangerous with the back end becoming out of control.

3rd is a good responsive gear and 4th is the gear to drop from 6th if you want a powered overtake.

5th is as much of an overdrive gear as is 6th. 

The turbo is better than the older 2•5 & 3•0 lumps it seems to me. 

In Europe they offer a bi-turbo which what it needs in my opinion for 5th & 6th gear use.

The Isuzu dealership here when we were buying the truck I asked could they order a bi-turbo model for me, they said there's no such thing. ????

My Vigo 3•0 auto 4D was a excellent truck but road tax was 7000 bht,  fuel kilo's averaged around 10 to ltr where as the Isuzu is 1200 tax and fuel averaging around 15 to ltr. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I have a 2012 Isuzu with the 2.5L, wouldn't want a smaller engine. If it was me I'd go for the 3.0L. Can't see the downside of having the larger engine. Certainly fuel consumption shouldn't be a deciding factor. 

The 1•9 is a new engine design with a later turbo.

Will leave the older 2•5 for dead ???? you just have to get to know how to use it's power. 

It depends very much on what you're planning to use it for.

We've had several types of pickups on the farm, and I've personally found 3 litres to be overpowered for a pickup that's basically used as a car, and inconsistent with the comparatively rudimentary pickup suspension, handling and braking systems.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blackprince said:

It depends very much on what you're planning to use it for.

We've had several types of pickups on the farm, and I've personally found 3 litres to be overpowered for a pickup that's basically used as a car, and inconsistent with the comparatively rudimentary pickup suspension, handling and braking systems.

What 3•0 ltr trucks have you used out of interest.

I found the Vigo 3•0 more responsive than the 3•0 Isuzu. 

I was being a cheapskate when I bought the Isuzu  truck with 2.5 instead of the 3.0L. The 2.5 is OK but If I did a do over I'd have gotten the 3.0 just because.

You know a 1.9L in a truck just sounds wrong, I mean come on.????

Edited by EVENKEEL

18 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I was being a cheapskate when I bought the Isuzu  truck with 2.5 instead of the 3.0L. The 2.5 is OK but If I did a do over I'd have gotten the 3.0 just because.

You know a 1.9L in a truck just sounds wrong, I mean come on.????

Not really new tech new turbos today can make power in smaller engines if you get to drive one you drive it differently to get power but other than that just driving around I don't notice any difference from the 3•0 Vigo.

I find the truck OK and cheap to run and as I said maybe the bi-turbo is better but I guess they don't think it will sell here at the extra cost. 

Ford are producing a new 2•0 turbo diesel engine I not too sure but that may well be bi-turbo. 

It really is about torque numbers at a sensible rpm. In a truck you need those numbers at a low RPM, where a work horse mainly works, together with a sensible final drive ratio. 

Some rides which do not have low RPM grunt compensate with a lower ratio rear end or lower trans gear ratio's. 

To be honest, you really should test drive one with all the extended family in the back, a bit of weight.... ????

Read the first para regarding grunt....

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/isuzu-d-max-gets-1-9-litre-diesel-option

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Me and three family and a load of wood in the back not sure of weight but the rear leaf spring was nearing to being straight. ????

I was very impressed the way it behaved and keeping to mostly 90kph returned 14 to the ltr. 

That's a good enough test for the likes of me. ????????

IMG_20200312_134536.thumb.jpg.385342201081a725b71863409bb7b28b.jpg

I am sure, but just showing the OP a few things to consider as he is asking about stuff..????

For everyday driving, as a family 'car', you probably won't notice.  Keep in mind, most vendors, deliver just about everything.  Do you really need a truck ?  Along with finding a parking space if in a metro area.

If using as a 'truck', will depend on the load. And incline of roads if needing the extra.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Looking at transam's link, the 3L doesn't seem to provide a whole lot more than the 1.9L

Again, do you really need a truck.  Strongly considered buying as my 1st vehicle here, until it dawned on my, I'd be providing trucking service to the family & village, forever, whenever.  In 20 yrs here, have yet to actually need to own a truck.  Always someone you can hire or lease one if you find the need.

Oh yea .... most vendors deliver.

Edited by KhunLA

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

Bit of Information here. Go for the 3.0 if you like performance and budget is not an issue. Hilux revo is worth a look too. The fast one is the 2.8 low floor but it has no vsc. Would be "fun" in the wet! 

2020_09_28_Test_Table_Toyota_Hilux_REVO_GR_Sport_01.jpg

That's really handy when you want to race the truck. 

A truck is a usable vehicle in Thailand for so many reasons.

I've blinged mine it's so fast now with a back rolll bar and 18 wheel rims.  ????

IMG_20211104_165354.thumb.jpg.d4e7dbc3c99053ff58780eb5a75d5817.jpg

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

That's really handy when you want to race the truck. 

A truck is a usable vehicle in Thailand for so many reasons.

I've blinged mine it's so fast now with a back rolll bar and 18 wheel rims.  ????

IMG_20211104_165354.thumb.jpg.d4e7dbc3c99053ff58780eb5a75d5817.jpg

Useable? Many people just buy them as family vehicles, so I think performance is one key factor in the purchase. When you want to overtake someone, you want it to get a move on and not be a slug like that 2.2 wildtrak.